Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Fit is acting freaky (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/60529-fit-acting-freaky.html)

Stacey444 11-10-2010 04:38 PM

Fit is acting freaky

:vtec:I have a 2007 Honda Fit (stick with sports package). She has been doing something strange for quite a while and the Dealership wants me to pay them to figure out what is going on with her. When I am standing outside the car (lets say in a parking lot) and I use my remote to unlock her but do not get in the car right away she locks back up again after about a minute.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I am worried that one of these times my keys will be inside when she does this.

Thanks

neil patrick harris 11-10-2010 04:43 PM

that is normal. prevents accidental butt-unlocking. <---that's a weird sentence.

Jonny_405 11-10-2010 04:57 PM

A good feature eh?
Reminds me of the power locks on my 1984 Peugeot 505. It had central power locks like modern cars(no keyless entry in those days though :) ). How it worked though was if I locked the doors from inside while getting out, as soon as I closed my door all the doors unlocked automatically. The only way to lock all the doors was from the outside with the key. Locking the drivers side door from the outside locked all the doors. I always wondered why no other car had locks that function like that. Pretty full proof way of not locking your keys in your car I think.

Hootie 11-10-2010 05:15 PM

Yep, that's a factory preset. Whenever the unlock button is pressed, you have 30 seconds to open any door or the hatch before the car locks again.

whaap 11-10-2010 05:51 PM

As stated above, they're made that way. Someone elses remote won't accidentally unlock your car. It's quite simple. Don't unlock it till you're ready to open it up. Works every time.

doctordoom 11-10-2010 05:52 PM

+1 for completely normal. if you unlock the car but don't open a door before a preset duration is up, the doors will lock themselves. this prevents you from accidentally unlocking the door and then a stranger finding your car unlocked. if you do open a door/hatch before time runs out, the doors will stay unlocked until you lock them.

it's explained in your owner's manual

Stacey444 11-11-2010 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone. We could not find it in the Owners Manual. Here is the funny thing - I called Sunnyside Honda yesterday and asked them first before I posted it on this forum. They had me speak to a service tech and he said "it is not normal and they ned to run a diagnostic test". I asked if this would cost me $$$$ and he said "if your car is out of warrantee, then yes you will be charged for the test".

Isn't that sad?

Thanks again everyone.

MaxSoul 11-11-2010 09:23 AM

hahaha ..... well u better pay us now :p

whaap 11-11-2010 10:16 AM

It's obvious the service tech doesn't drive a Fit nor does he know anything about the Fit. Keep in mind they are nothing more than order takers.

clicq 11-11-2010 10:52 AM

Here's the actual page from the manual that describes the behavior, at least on the 2009- and up Fits. If you haven't done so already, you should download the PDF copy of your manual; it's a lot easier to search for something :).

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4470/fitunlock.png

baldddguy 11-12-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey444 (Post 931185)
Thanks everyone. We could not find it in the Owners Manual. Here is the funny thing - I called Sunnyside Honda yesterday and asked them first before I posted it on this forum. They had me speak to a service tech and he said "it is not normal and they ned to run a diagnostic test". I asked if this would cost me $$$$ and he said "if your car is out of warrantee, then yes you will be charged for the test".

Isn't that sad?

Thanks again everyone.

SEE PAGE 82 OF THE 2007 MANUAL, MIDDLE COLUMN, LAST PARAGRAPH.

"If you do not open any door or the tailgate within 30 seconds, they will automatically relock and the security system will set."

feddup 11-12-2010 08:25 PM

normal!

It's totally normal! I was puzzled by the behavior at first. Your Honda techs ought to have their own manual waved in their face. They're trying to pump you for cash.

chunkylover 11-13-2010 02:02 AM

i have a problem, my car isnt auto locking anymore its a 2009 fit sport 5 speed