Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Heard fuel in Gas tank swirling around (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/61806-heard-fuel-gas-tank-swirling-around.html)

Ric01 01-04-2011 02:11 AM

Heard fuel in Gas tank swirling around

I think I may have solved a mystery of hearing some soft noise some times I pull into my garage... at first I thought there's something wrong with my wheel (need alignment or something) or perhaps pebbles stuck in between my tire threads or worst, there may be a nail in one of my tires. I've checked all my tires and they are fine.

Today, I heard the soft sound again as I pulled into my garage (when it is quiet) and I can hear clearly today that it was a liquid swirling sound of some sort. I back out the car a foot and braked suddently and there it was, heard the swirling sound of fuel underneath my seat. My tank is 3/4 tank full at that time

Have you all heard of this gas swirling noise in your gas tank especially when you pull into your garage when the noise is amplified? The sound will not be heard when the car is outside due to ambient noise. Somehow a quiet garage will amplify the sound.

I thought I share this with everybody

Sorry to have started this thread if this has been discussed already.

Thanks

Goobers 01-04-2011 02:54 AM

yup, heard it in my car too.

I'd love to say it doesn't bother me... but honestly, it does scare the shit out of me... images of cars blowing up cycle through my mind!!!

But after that rush, I tell myself, it's a Honda (or generally a big manufacturer)... one would hope they put cars out that don't blow up, especially since you are sitting right on top of the gas tank!

Brain Champagne 01-04-2011 09:28 AM

Cars do blow up a lot... on TV.

In reality- think of how many accident scenes you see every year, and how few car fires or burned-out cars post-accident. A lot of the former and very few of the latter.

kenchan 01-04-2011 11:55 AM

considering you are pretty much sitting on top of the gas tank im sure you can hear it often. i hear sloshing on both the GD and GE.

Black3sr 01-04-2011 02:58 PM

It is a good noise. Means you still have something left in the tank.

DiamondStarMonsters 01-04-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 947672)

Thats how I look at it. Just be happy you can't hear the fuel pump buzzing away like you can with bigger aftermarket units, even when submerged.

The only time I can hear it is when it is dead silent in the garage and I turn the key to on and it primes the rail. Then you hear the relay click off till you decide to crank it over.

spin out 01-04-2011 04:13 PM

ive heard it slosh around plenty of times... always when parking.... always outside... because i dont have a garage.

the sloshing sounds puts me in the mind of lying on a beach in the south pacific, with the ocean gently lapping on the sand.

Ric01 01-04-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 947672)

I like that comment Black3sr, you are a "glass-half-full-guy" !

As rightly said by Black3sr, that gas tank noise can serve as a back-up for our fuel gauge. In the future, if our dashboard fuel gauge broke by any chance, hear for the sloshing and swirling sound to confirm if we have fuel left in our gas tank.

Ric01 01-04-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 947518)
yup, heard it in my car too.

I'd love to say it doesn't bother me... but honestly, it does scare the shit out of me... images of cars blowing up cycle through my mind!!!

But after that rush, I tell myself, it's a Honda (or generally a big manufacturer)... one would hope they put cars out that don't blow up, especially since you are sitting right on top of the gas tank!

I also had the same initial feeling of fear in sitting on top of a flammable tank but on second thoughts, could it be safer compared to positioning the fuel tank at the back of the car? If our fuel tank is at the back like normal hatch backs and if we are rammed from behind, it will hit the fuel tank first with more serious consequences. By the Honda FIT engineers putting the fuel tank below the driver, there will be more room for the "ram-from-behind" crash to absorb the force before it reaches the front driver and passenger and the fuel tank... just a thought.. some of you might disagree :)

Ric01 01-04-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by spin out (Post 947703)
ive heard it slosh around plenty of times... always when parking.... always outside... because i dont have a garage.

the sloshing sounds puts me in the mind of lying on a beach in the south pacific, with the ocean gently lapping on the sand.

Very good description, spin out regarding the relaxing noise... I don't know why...somehow your description also reminds me of BP :)

Goobers 01-04-2011 09:02 PM

Don't get me wrong, the "rational" side of me knows the the likelyhood of something bad happening is very small.

But, we're not always "rational," are we?

DiamondStarMonsters 01-05-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 947845)
Don't get me wrong, the "rational" side of me knows the the likelyhood of something bad happening is very small.

But, we're not always "rational," are we?

Well if it is any reassurance, liquid gasoline is relatively stable. It's the vapors that like to go all "fuel-air burst."

Auto manufacturers spend a lot of money, with the exception of Ferrari :rotfl: on designing the vehicle to *not* catch on fire in as many situations as possible.

You are more likely to suffer a fire at the gas pump from static caused by not grounding or 'earthing' yourself and the car by touching metal on the body before lifting your ass from the seat with a foot out the door on the ground..

Ric01 01-05-2011 09:19 PM

Very good point DiamondStarMonsters, I didn't know that... learn something new today.. another PLUS for the FIT