General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

track system roof rack (permanent) and resale value (w/pics)

Old 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
track system roof rack (permanent) and resale value (w/pics)

Hi all,

Many roof rack threads on here but I have not seen anyone who has gotten this permanent track system installed. I am thinking of having this done to my new-to-me Fit because with a track system, one can easily remove the rack towers/crossbars when not in use, thereby mitigating the slight reduction in fuel economy that comes with a rack. According to 'the experts', the track alone does not affect fuel economy at all (when towers/bars removed). Another benefit is that one need not worry about scratching paint inside the door jam or denting the car as is possible with a tradition 'clip' rack system. Additionally, the clip systems are less easily removed and then reinstalled and take work to tension correctly. Lastly, the track system has a higher capacity, which will be great for me when driving with 2-4 whitewater kayaks down curvy, sometimes dirt roads. For a rack, its the way to go.

My question - do you think having this type of system installed will impact resale value negatively? My thought is that in CO or other 'outdoorsy states', something like this may actually be an attribute. Still its a mod - though a clean, professional, guaranteed leakproof for-life one. While we do plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile, resale value remains a consideration when contemplating a pricey and permanent installation.

I have attached pictures that were provided to me by Rack Attack of Fit's with the track system. Looks very smooth and solid.

Photo credits: Rack Attack

Last edited by Highcountry; 05-19-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
how would the rack system you posted have a higher capacity than a standard clip in system? what are you trying to haul, cinderblocks?

i cant speak from experience on resale, but i would prefer to buy a car with the least amount of modifications.

nothing against the quality of the install or the looks of it. I'd rather buy the car that is the most un-touched. you can never TRUELY trust the quality of work that someone else has done to a car.

if you are worried about resale, the removable thule/yakima rack is your best bet. lay a nice coat of wax down before you install and you wont scratch your roof. i know people go as far as putting clear vinyl on the roof to prevent dings/dents from the bikes/skis/cargo etc.

you can always sell the racks on your own, or even just buy a new fit kit and put it on a new car. ive had the same rack pieces for the last 4 years on all my cars. i just keep buying new fit kits and putting the old rack on my new car.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by pearl
how would the rack system you posted have a higher capacity than a standard clip in system? what are you trying to haul, cinderblocks?
The capacity difference is 165lbs (track) vs. 125lbs (clip). Yes, I will be hauling cinderblocks. No, just kayaks (whitewater) and bikes.

With a bike or two, skis, etc in city/hwy driving a clip rack is great but my Yakima clip system has really gashed up the inside of the door jambs on my CRV over the years - again this is with 4 kayaks on dirt roads, 4x roads etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
ive had 3 bikes on my rack with a clip in system and never stressed about it before. i would imagine if the inside of the door jamb is getting jacked up, the rack was too loose.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I speak for myself only and don't mean to offend anyone
who modifies their vehicle.

Some modifications are ok, but as a general rule I will not
purchase a used vehicle that has been modified.

I'd be concerned about the effect on the vehicle and both
the quality of work done and that of the parts installed.

As for the roof system you are looking at... considering it
is a permanent installation it is bound to turn away some
potential purchasers who would otherwise consider the
vehicle.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Having seen this I now want it. I don't always trust the clip system roof racks, and have seen cars damaged by the clips. With my 16 ft sea kayak, I want all the security I can get. The rails don't look bad at all. Later today, I am going to find out who installs these bad boys and make an appointment. Thanks for the thread.
BTW.... these cars are in demand.. I don't worry too much about he resale value on an economy car. If it was a 40,000 BMW I would probably be more concerned.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
The permanent mounts described in this thread look interesting too. Less obtrusive than the full tracks:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ck-mounts.html

For best load capacity, I think the tracks would clearly be the best, because the tracks themselves will add some strength and stiffness to the roof structure. They also allow you have the load bars spaced further apart than a clip on rack.

I don't know if the tracks would hurt resale much if any. But if I were a buyer, I would definitely want the tracks mounted parallel to the black rubber gutter inserts (like the second photo). I don't like the varying gap between the rubber strip and the track in the first photo.

Also, be sure the installer knows where it's OK to drill in the roof. I have read that there are components for the side curtain airbags up there.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by SEAKAYAKER
Having seen this I now want it. I don't always trust the clip system roof racks, and have seen cars damaged by the clips. With my 16 ft sea kayak, I want all the security I can get. The rails don't look bad at all. Later today, I am going to find out who installs these bad boys and make an appointment. Thanks for the thread.
Yeah - you can probably get the bar spread wide enough with the track system to not even really need bow/stern lines if you have a good spread and a good cradle system on the crossbars (like these). If you have a Rack Attack nearby, they do great installation and as mentioned guarantee these leakproof for life. Frankly, I trust this system equally or in some cases more than factory installed rails on other vehicles. The best thing is the super easy removability when the rack is not needed.

The permanent mounts described in this thread look interesting too. Less obtrusive than the full tracks:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ck-mounts.html
Yeah, I had been looking at that. That system does look very cool and is less intrusive an obvious benefit. The benefit of the tracks is bar spread adjust ability, which is great for multi-sport applications (kayaks, bikes, snow). Also, I asked Rack Attack about that very clever system (sent them the link) and they told me that "We've never chosen to drill under the rubber strip because that is where the car is welded together and we're not sure what the consequences might be (if any at all)."

Conversely, they state that the tracks are "by far the best setup we offer for the Fit. The tracks are a permanent component and if we install them they are guaranteed against leaks as long as you own the car (so long as you don't damage the racks in a garage or similar). The tracks look factory-style and are very low profile--they won't influence the fuel economy when the racks are removed. On that note, the crossbars simply snap in and out of the bracket that slides into the track...on/off in 30 seconds or less, no tools, no adjusting necessary." Also, "The tracks are mounted to the vehicle with hardware that is set outside of the vehicle, so the headliner is unaffected and the install is completely water tight".

RE a Q-Tower system, I've been told that "The Q towers, while they get the job done, they may not do it as cleanly. Of course the clips reach into the door jambs, and each time you take it on/off you'll have to re-measure and re-tension the system appropriately. If you don't install it to spec each time, you run the risk of the clips slipping in the door jamb. (this can wrinkle and chip away the paint on the car). Also, by nature, when the racks get loaded up with gear the increased weight changes the dynamic of the connection to the car--further emphasizing the importance of perfect and exacting installation each time."

BTW, I'm not disparaging anyone's rack system at all, be it the clean and clever custom job linked above or a standard clip/tower system. Just sharing some info I've compiled from rack experts who have done a LOT of installs on Fit's. I will post some pics laster of the door jambs on my CRV (which have had clips for years) and you'l see why I'm concerned about that on a newer car. I think my rack needs are greater than most - think kayaks moving laterally because of driving on dirt roads - thats alot of tension for a clip system to not slip at all. A few bikes on the highway will not to this.

Last edited by Highcountry; 05-20-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Good to hear. I called "Rack Attack" and made an appointment for next week. It's just that gas mileage is definitely (negatively) affected by the racks. When I am not kayaking, I want that rack off. It was extremely easy to remove roof racks with my old sport Utility, and I want that ease of use back. I am pretty excited about this option.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Would I opt for the permanent rack instead of clips? Absolutely. It sounds like you really use your racks, so why not make it work properly?

If you have a RackAttack near you, why not get a Whispbar setup instead of Yakima?
At least you’ll have a much more aerodynamic system. And it’ll be far quieter and you might save 1-2 MPG out of the deal.

RackAttack told me that Yakima fixtures will fit on Whispbars. You want all the advantage you can get aerodynamically because mountain passes kill the Fits power and MPG even without a rack.

I take it you have decided to buy a Fit instead of a TDI. Good for you. You did save a lot of money. Your gas mileage in the mountains with two kayaks or two bikes is going to be pretty poor though. Don’t be surprised if you get less than 25MPG in those conditions . A top loaded TDI would easily surpass that. Still, you can buy a lot of gas for the extra 10 grand can’t you?

One thing I have noticed is the susceptibility to crosswinds in the Fit. The tall roofline makes it one of the worst cars I’ve ever owned in that respect. A loaded roof rack may turn it into a handful in strong winds.

Last edited by FitAK; 05-21-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
That would increase the resale value in my book! Standard Fit racks are so close together that they are not recommended for longer canoes and sea kayaks.
I bought a set of Craig's list rack for Wife's fit. I don't think we have ever used them, taking another vehicle with racks more appropriate for the boats we haul.

It will handle the roof top box - for the day we do use the Fit for vacation. With the price of gas, that my indeed happen this year.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
that rack looks like itll dent the shit outta the roof. theres no structure there