General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does anyone else have other drivers cut you off all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Oh... I've gotten more road crap thrown at me when I drive "small" cars than larger SUVs.

Assholes and idiots alike, think they can bully you with the size of their vehicles. Which is why I try to stay as far from other cars as possible. The only problem is... like moths to a flame, they always find me.

But some (other) people are still assholes, even when they don't have a larger vehicle. The other day, I was on the highway and some guy in a Chevy (Cavalier?) was basically making a "rolling roadblock" with with an SUV at about 70 mph. The moment I moved to pass on the far side of him... he sped up to 90 mph. I know, because I hit 93 mph just as he ran out of road in front of him, forcing him to finally slow down.

Some fuckers are just that... fuckers. It sucks because there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Speed up to pass them or otherwise get away from them... you risk getting a speeding ticket. Bump or otherwise nudge them (even nascar style), you simply risk damage to your own vehicle.

Is it worth it? It would be, if they never bothered you again... but that ain't gonna happen.
Name:  nvWyf.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  138.2 KB

Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Very vivid and expressive DSM! Almost like 3D! Hey that's the color of my Fit too...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
That was fucking HILARIOUS, DSM!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
DSM, the only problem with that sequence.... I'm one of the "tan" cars being blocked, and replace the sports car with an SUV that doesn't care.

:'(

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I had a CRV - I would say people kept a normal distance from it. I rented an Explorer once. Want to go from left lane to the exit 4 lanes over? No problem! People assume you are a woman driver without good judgement (otherwise why would you buy an Explorer) and a need for lots of metal surrounding you because you have hit plenty of other people.

I would say the things that get people to give you a wide berth are the size of the car, and the perceived danger. If you drive around with "the hook!" off the front, people thing, er, could be danger. If you move the car right/left/right within your lane, people think, dang, I was going to be mad at this guy but he clearly has no idea what's going on anyway and he's likely to move without warning ... better back off!

You just gotta be careful. Smaller car definitely means people try and push you around a little. Not much you can do about it except avoid the jerks ..

Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM
The last small car I had before the Fit was a VW New Bug and I noticed the same thing too - tailgaiting and general bullying of my car. I've only had my new Fit a week but I haven't really noticed anything like that, yet. Well ... maybe some tailgaiting but it seems it is the "normal" amount of tailgaiting out there ... as if there should be such a thing.

When I drive my Dad's Ford Explorer I never get bullied. It was an eye-opening experience and now I try to be respectful of all cars out there, regardless of size.

Funny thing about driving this Fit - I find myself driving a little slower than the speed limit because I'm obsessed with watching the MPG gauge. Hovering at 37 MPG (or a little less with AC on) and I'm wondering if I can hit above 40. Am probably pissing off lots of other drivers on the road, LOL, but hey now I'm being safer and more economical. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Last edited by SoHoFitFreak; 08-21-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: editorial changes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoHoFitFreak
Am probably pissing off lots of other drivers on the road, LOL, but hey now I'm being safer and more economical. Nothing wrong with that, right?
Yes ... and No... Economical, sure. Safer, not always. You can end up being the cause of a back up which can be "interfering with the flow of traffic" or worse, get rear-ended and cause a pile up.

All it takes is someone behind you reaching for their phone, spilling coffee on their lap, changing tunes on their mp3 player, staring at your mpg gauge, etc. You get the picture. Safety on public roads is a relative term, like an orchestra staying in tune with the beat... Head-on-a-swivel, anticipation and good judgement bumps up your odds... to make it home safely...

Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
When it happens to me, I'll drop into 3rd, floor it, cut back in front the ass-cunt, and slow back down to 65. PROBLEM? Nah, just kidding. I normally drive with or faster than traffic. I'd hate to see my MPG drop because of that. Besides, it pleases me knowing that the idiots that purposely speed and cut me have wasted more gas than me!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
Yes ... and No... Economical, sure. Safer, not always.
I hear ya on that Subie! I'm someone that used to tailgate, drive too fast, leave late and try to make up time on the road, etc etc.

These days I drive so much more safer and defensively. Driving 5 mph under the speed limit is about all I slow down.

I think there is something, too, about these huge, panoramic windows in the Fit. Maybe because of that I feel like driving the speed limit. So much more I see coming at me?

My step-son is inheriting my pre-Fit car. I'm praying he drives safely. And I'll lecture him about it, too. The town he lives in has had a frightening amount of young people die in car accidents this year. But when we are young we all feel so invincible.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoHoFitFreak
I hear ya on that Subie! I'm someone that used to tailgate, drive too fast, leave late and try to make up time on the road, etc etc.

These days I drive so much more safer and defensively. Driving 5 mph under the speed limit is about all I slow down.

I think there is something, too, about these huge, panoramic windows in the Fit. Maybe because of that I feel like driving the speed limit. So much more I see coming at me?

My step-son is inheriting my pre-Fit car. I'm praying he drives safely. And I'll lecture him about it, too. The town he lives in has had a frightening amount of young people die in car accidents this year. But when we are young we all feel so invincible.
honestly if you drive a few miles under speed limit during the day, it will frustrate people behind you.... i would advise trying to go with traffic and leave a lane open if you are driving side by side with another slow person. the people that trigger accidents are the ones that drive slow.

i hope someday in the future speed limits change between day time and night time, or when visibility is not good due to weather. when you drive a 40mph road during the day it might seem stupid slow, but at night, 40mph might feel just right or too fast. i think there should be about a 10mph difference between day time and night time driving for roads 40mph and over.

and yes, the windows, seating position, clear view, (and lack of power), do make it seem like you are going much faster than you really are.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have people cut me off no matter which car I drive. More worry with my Miata since it is lower to the ground. They either don't know how to check their blind spots or talking on their cell phone. Also I would not answer this question, with "this has never happen to me", since it would probably be bad karma I will get cut-off on the way home.