General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Lowered suspension? Scrapping over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Question Lowered suspension? Scrapping over bumps?

Just wondering... I have a 2009 stock base model and I really scuffed the front under right side going over the slight street drainage dip while trying to get up our driveway the first time. I now make a point of going very slowly at an angle to keep from scuffing/scrapping the under side body work.
I have no problem with this in my RAV4 or even my friends Accord.

I can't imagine being able to get up the driveway at all if I were to lower the Fit.. how do you guys cope with bumps and such with your lowered suspensions.. do you only drive on a track?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM
nyc has a very effective way to keep hellaflush and stance crowds off the streets, they dont repair the roads in the outer boroughs. . . they do however upgrade the equipment on city vehicles to compensate (buses, trucks, etc)

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Angle out of steep driveways, never attack head on if possible. Go slow over speed bumps, nothing crazy.

I have a base so don't care if I scrape my bumper, it's got a little plastic protector, I think it might actually be aero related, but it's not very aerodynamic anymore

I'm not even low, only 1.2" drop or so, idk how the dumped guys deal day to day. Fit bumper hangs low, especially on the Sport.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
im like almost on the floor D: its not hard to drive lowered, it takes practice and good judgement! also future planning of where to park and where you cant get in and out of lol.

like Wanderer. Said, Angle out and in of driveways... go semi-slow. NEVER go straight ahead unless its just a little bump or dip..my resonator is all banged up and i hear metal scrape every time i get out of my driveway ahha

Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Its the easiest thing in the world. I don't even know how you can scrape in a stock car.

I'm lowered and now that I'm back to lipless, I can cruise into my driveway (which is stupid steep) like I'm driving a Jeep.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Its the easiest thing in the world. I don't even know how you can scrape in a stock car.

I'm lowered and now that I'm back to lipless, I can cruise into my driveway (which is stupid steep) like I'm driving a Jeep.
Only happened the first time because I didn't realize how little ground clearance I had. The other cars I mentioned could go straight in and out with no problem and my Fit isn't lowered. Anyway, I learned my lesson and now come in really slowly at an angle to avoid it, but it's too late, I thought it had just scrapped that plastic lip/air dam thing, but the right side under body is all scuffed up on that beautiful black paint..
It's not the steepness, its the angle of approach of the driveway and also the fact that there is a shoulder drainage dip on mine... I don't think you would want to visit me in your Fit.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
I have Eibach lowering springs occasionally I scrap the front bumper. Depending on the speed bump the bottom of the car. I could see you having no problem with the Rav4 and Accord based on the ground clearance my Wife's Camry has a lot more clearance then my Fit.

On my Miata which is lowered I put a BeatRush under panel because the plastic one that was on the car was getting torn apart.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I only scrap when I'm preoccupied or didn't see some something. It's normal now to plan ahead and avoid certain areas/roads...

Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doane2u
Only happened the first time because I didn't realize how little ground clearance I had. The other cars I mentioned could go straight in and out with no problem and my Fit isn't lowered. Anyway, I learned my lesson and now come in really slowly at an angle to avoid it, but it's too late, I thought it had just scrapped that plastic lip/air dam thing, but the right side under body is all scuffed up on that beautiful black paint..
It's not the steepness, its the angle of approach of the driveway and also the fact that there is a shoulder drainage dip on mine... I don't think you would want to visit me in your Fit.
You've obviously never been in the rust belt and I know about the angles, my driveway is on a corner and impossible to hit at extreme angle which combined with steepness makes it a b word.

You've just never driven a car worth driving (based on Accord/Rav4 statement)

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
You've obviously never been in the rust belt and I know about the angles, my driveway is on a corner and impossible to hit at extreme angle which combined with steepness makes it a b word.

Oh, I see...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
under carriage protection?

Is there anything under the car that can get damaged and be a major repair expense if you do hit a bump to fast, etc.?

I noticed in the front of the Fit manual they warn about not lowering the car, etc., a liability issue, I'm sure, but what might get seriously damaged and is there any kind of plates that could be installed for protection?

I would think some of you with lowered suspensions probably have warnings on the back, "I brake for bumps?"

Thanks,

Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
There is lowered, and then there is slammed.

My car is lowered with H&R springs - about 1.8" in front. So long as I drive carefully through pavement transitions (parking lot to street, etc) and avoid compressing the suspension much while navigating that transition, I won't scrape. Potholes and speed bumps haven't been an issue for my Fit so far, but I have run across one Hors Categorie speed bump here in town where my BMW will scrape. And that was before I lowered it.

The slammed guys are the ones you see putting plywood ramps in front of their garages to get in and out without scraping...

Last edited by Cliff; 03-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Just from pulling in and out of parking. I will soon eat away that black bumper guard underneath...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
What black bumper guard?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Another one of your childish comments.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Just drive a little more careful and you should be fine. If you're worried, make a "bash plate" our of plastic or something. It would probably be pretty cheap.

But that is one of the reasons why the mustang is only mildily lowered (but with a full race suspension - NOT pleasant on street, about 3x stiffness up front). When I do drive it I don't worry about scraping much.
Anyways good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone. I learned my lesson with my driveway the first day I drove it home and I just have the stock base model.

I was just curious if there were any aftermarket "skid" plates available for lowered (not slammed) Fits, and what the most vulnerable areas would be that would be expensive to repair?

From the response so far it doesn't sound like it's that big of a concern though?

Thanks,

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Don't worry about it if you're not slammed, you won't hit anything. The motor doesn't sit that low and all you'll hit most of the time is that little plastic piece on the bottom of the bumper.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I used to care about my jdp lip. But not anymore. The underside of it is disgusting. Other than that nothing else really scrapes. Being lowered keeps you from driving fast. I kinda like it