General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

1,000 miles since oil change, oil life meter says 30 percent?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Exclamation 1,000 miles since oil change, oil life meter says 30 percent?!?

Hi there! Its only been 1000 miles (maybe a few less) since my last oil change. I have a 2009 Fit Sport Automatic. Last week my oil life indicator said 40 percent, today it went to 30 percent. I am not sure if 1) they forgot to reset my oil life after my oil change? (Sorry for the ignorance, I did not look immediately after I got it changed to insure it said 100 percent) or 2) if this means I am burning oil and may have another issue. I have a little over 50 K miles on my car and have never had this problem before. I did recently have my car serviced (maybe a month and a half ago) for all the standard services, got the transmission flushed, the dealer said there was no problems. I had taken it in because the car was making a weird sound when shifting in the lower gears. It is no longer doing that but it does feel like it lacks power and maybe the rpms are a little weird. Like I really have to floor it more in certain situations and it sounds louder. Could these issues be related? I hate going to the dealer to research the problem since my last experience.

P.S. The dealer did not change my oil. I got the oil changed at Hibdon which has done my oil for the life of this car with no issues ever. I do not have any lights on. I feel like waiting for a light to come on is not a good idea ever with a car. Isnt that called the idiot light?
Thanks!

Last edited by rockangelz; 06-30-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM
P.S. The dealer did not change my oil. I have always gotten my oil changed at Hibdon Tire. They have a great reputation and have never done me wrong. In fact, one of the technicians usually sees my dog tags hanging in the car and comes and talks to me about his son who is a Marine.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
First off, it might be a bit late if you did indeed go to a Honda dealer for an service for sure call your dealer and tell the service manager that the tech(s) servicing your vehicle did not reset the maintenance light (might get a free oil change out of it).

And secondly, reset the maintenance light and just go in for your next service 10% earlier. Its EXTREMELY EASY and I'm fairly sure the reset procedure along with a list of what the codes signify is listed in there as well. If not put the key to the ON position, press the trip button until the oil life percentage is displayed , press and hold the trip button until the oil life flashes in the screen (usually 5 to 10 seconds), once it flashes release the button then hold it down again for another 5 to 10 seconds until it resets.

If you are still concerned about your vehicle, do a visual check under the hood. Check the engine oil level, ATF level (the check procedure is FOR SURE listed in owners manual), and ensure that the engine's air filter is in (seen people forget them) and that the air box's lid is properly seated in place and closed (its easy to miss the rear clips for the lid on the GE8 generation Fits).

Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi Hootie,

There is no service engine light on, and I haven't had any warning lights come on. I am saying that I did not look at the oil life guage (I know I should have) after I got the oil changed (not at the dealer, at Hibdon Tire, who has always done my oil changes the life of the car, with no previous issues) and so I cant vouch for what it read. I am concerned because its been a few miles less than 1,000 miles since I got the oil changed, no heavy driving, and It dropped from 40 percent last week to 30 percent yesterday.
I do not know if this is cause for concern. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
what was the oil life at when u had the oil changed? most of us here get it changed at 15%, did u?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 AM
ypu say loss of power. Use that warranty, and go to honda and ask them to inspect the vehicle under claim of power loss and lower drivability

Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 AM
Banned
Check the color of your oil on the dipstick and see what the condition is. It's more than likely they forgot to reset it.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Similar problems

Had oil change about a month-and-a-half ago and have a Honda Fit sport 2009 automatic oil life is at 15%

Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Reading the original post, I'm assuming the OP had the oil changed at "personal preference" and did NOT wait for the Maintenance Minder?

IMO, with the Honda Fit and the Oil Life and Maintenance Minder you can indeed wait until the light comes on. The maintenance minder IMO is not an "idiot light" so much as what it is...a reminder as to when maintenance is needed. Of course always check your oil inbetween and periodically, but I think waiting for the maintenance minder to illuminate is what you want to do.
If you have the oil changed, especially at a Non-Dealer, with no light illuminate, I think you invite this type of possible confusion. I'd GUESS it is very possible "Hibdon" changed the oil and the tech wasn't even aware of a maintenance minder or oil life monitor with The Fit.

As owners, we have the freedom to handle maintenance issues any way we choose. BUT...if you decide to ignore the maintenance minder system? Then getting out of synch with it's recommendations is probably going to happen.