General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit good for two kids and a large dog?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by kaashparinda
...he's the one who warned against anything more than 2 bikes......
Tend to agree with the warning. With your dogs and kids and wife plus luggage, food, BBQ and beer, that alone is enough gear to weigh down the 115 horses on our Fits.
Just bringing around my rotts (with the magic seats up) plus the wife, to expect any torque response, when cruising at 65mph, is approaching wishfull thinking.
'07-'13Fits are just weight sensitive and picky about varying gradients (loves the downhills but not the uphills as much - with a full load). Well, at least my GD is, and its all auto bone stock.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 03-31-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FitSport
What kind of hitch are you getting? How muach can it tow and whatis the tongue weight? Knowing those specs should help you figure out how much you can carry.
Originally Posted by Rampo
I agree with the hitch guy. The Fit takes a class 1 hitch, (2000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 pounds tongue weight). The issue is with more than two bikes hanging out there, the force is multiplied at the tongue, to a point where the max capacity can be exceeded. Most bike racks with greater than a 2 bike capacity, will fit into the class 1 hitch tube, but the locking pin hole will not line up. This is an intentional feature to prevent you from using a bike rack that can exceed the hitch capacity.
2010FitSport and Rampo, The hitch guy is planning to install a class 2, CURT hitch which has a tougue weight of 350 lbs and pulling capacity of $3,500 (I have no intention of pulling anything). Even so, he's the one who warned against anything more than 2 bikes.

Very interesting to hear what Rampo says here. Can you please elaborate? Wonder if there is anything written about this on the internet. Also interesting that the guy is planning to install a class 2 hitch. I would have that class 1 would make the most sense since the fit is a really small car.

I haven't dealt with hitches or bike racks on a fit before.
OK, I called them again and its actually a class I (one) hitch. That makes sense. Pulling is 2000 lbs and tougue weight is 200 pounds. Still interested in hearing what RAMPO says. I can't see 4 bikes totalling up to 200 lbs. Of course, there's the weight of the hitch itself too.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
As far as hitch class, I use the e-trailer site for reference 2011 Honda Fit Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Also the site has a bunch of info on towing specific to the Honda Fit
Expert Answers about Honda Fit - etrailer.com

Finally, they have a bunch of videos pertaining to the Fit:
Honda Fit Videos | etrailer.com

This is the setup I have on my Fit:
Prorack 2 Hitch Bike Rack Review - 2012 Honda Fit Video | etrailer.com

Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
OK, I called them again and its actually a class I (one) hitch. That makes sense. Pulling is 2000 lbs and tougue weight is 200 pounds. Still interested in hearing what RAMPO says. I can't see 4 bikes totalling up to 200 lbs. Of course, there's the weight of the hitch itself too.
OK, I like this guy's answer:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-36189.html

Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I like this guy's answer:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-36189.html
There is a lever action going on where the weight of the bike is being multiplied by the horizontal distance to the tongue. So even if the bikes are around 25 pounds each the two bikes that are the furthest away will be applying more force.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
As far as hitch class, I use the e-trailer site for reference 2011 Honda Fit Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Also the site has a bunch of info on towing specific to the Honda Fit
Expert Answers about Honda Fit - etrailer.com

Finally, they have a bunch of videos pertaining to the Fit:
Honda Fit Videos | etrailer.com

This is the setup I have on my Fit:
Prorack 2 Hitch Bike Rack Review - 2012 Honda Fit Video | etrailer.com

Rampo, The Prorack is certainly affordable. Does the bike stay secure at the back, i.e. does it not swing? I like this one better:

Thule Doubletrack Platform-Style 2 Bike Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Hitch Mount Thule Hitch Bike Racks TH990XT

but it costs twice as much as yours.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM
There is a lever action going on where the weight of the bike is being multiplied by the horizontal distance to the tongue. So even if the bikes are around 25 pounds each the two bikes that are the furthest away will be applying more force.
Thanks, that makes total sense. The lever action adds to the weight.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Rampo, The Prorack is certainly affordable. Does the bike stay secure at the back, i.e. does it not swing? I like this one better:

Thule Doubletrack Platform-Style 2 Bike Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Hitch Mount Thule Hitch Bike Racks TH990XT

but it costs twice as much as yours.
The Thule is a nice rack, but as you noted, the price is a lot more than the one I have. If cost is not an issue then by all means, go for the Thule. For me, I just needed a well made rack at an affordable price that I could use to haul two bikes over a fairly short distance. I only got a chance to use it a couple of times last season, but so far I am satisfied. The bikes hang securely on the two arms after they are cinched down with the velcro straps. If this winter ever ends, I'll be able to do a better assessment based on frequent use.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you've got a few options. From what you're wanting to carry, I may be inclined to go this route, if I were in your shoes.

Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer

You would have to build your platform, but should be easy. Or there are other trailers that have the platforms already built and also folds.

Lifetime 5 x 6 Fold-Up Utility Trailer -- Folds in 90 seconds to 29 inches Wide (65005)

Space for all of your bikes, gear, etc.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
I would vote for the trailer also. You would be able to haul a car full of people and 4 bikes and have room for some other gear as long as your not adding too much extra weight. My 2012 Fit Sport tows the Harbor Freight trailer linked above very well. I've been hauling lumber and furniture occasionally with mine for almost a year now with no problem.

- Dustin