General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2008 Honda Fit LX very low milage Honda Plus warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:42 PM
2008 Honda Fit LX very low mileage Honda Plus warranty or not?

Hi everybody,

So I just put a deposit down on a 2008 Fit LX with very low mileage on it (12K km). No I didn't forget a zero.. the previous owner was an elderly woman in her 80s who only a drove it to run errands etc. I want to mention that this is my first car ever and I am a little clueless when it comes to the different terminology.

I have 2 questions:

1) The salesman at another Honda dealer who was trying to make a sale on a different Fit told me that a car with such low mileage could have problems with it since it was probably not driven on the highway etc. He strongly advised against purchasing that car because he wanted to sell me a 2010 with 50K km on it. Is he right, or was this just a sales tactic to try to get me to buy his car? Since the car looks brand new and even smells new, is there something I should do to 'break it in"??

2) Since I am purchasing the FIT from a Honda dealer they offered an extended warranty on it. about 600$ for a year and 1000$ for 2 years. Do you thing that the Honda Plus warranty is worth it on this type of car?

Thank You so much!

Erika

Last edited by Erika; 04-17-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Erika
Hi everybody,

So I just put a deposit down on a 2008 Fit LX with very low mileage on it (12K km). No I didn't forget a zero.. the previous owner was an elderly woman in her 80s who only a drove it to run errands etc. I want to mention that this is my first car ever and I am a little clueless when it comes to the different terminology.

I have 2 questions:

1) The salesman at another Honda dealer who was trying to make a sale on a different Fit told me that a car with such low mileage could have problems with it since it was probably not driven on the highway etc. He strongly advised against purchasing that car because he wanted to sell me a 2010 with 50K km on it. Is he right, or was this just a sales tactic to try to get me to buy his car? Since the car looks brand new and even smells new, is there something I should do to 'break it in"??

2) Since I am purchasing the FIT from a Honda dealer they offered an extended warranty on it. about 600$ for a year and 1000$ for 2 years. Do you thing that the Honda Plus warranty is worth it on this type of car?

Thank You so much!

Erika
That is a lot of time for that little amount of mileage. I wonder if it has ever had a oil change? Are the tires new? Make sure to check the rubber hoses for cracks/rot. Who said it was owned by an elderly lady, the sales guy?
As for the other guy saying it could have problems, of course it could. The one he is trying to sell you could have problems too. Did you take both of them for a test drive? If so,how did it go? Anything unusual or weird?

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm getting the car from a Honda dealer. Although the carproof doesn't show the oil changes and other maintenance, It does show that it the car was registered yearly by the same owner. I did take it for a test drive and it seems totally fine. The inside also looks and smells like new. also, the oil change and inspection was done as soon as it entered the dealership.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Check the oil dipstick, if the oil is a lighter yellowish color, it's new. If it's dark, it's old. Check the other fluids as well, make sure they aren't sludge. Check the coolant level in the overflow right behind the bumper on the driver side when you open the hood.
Double check for rust under the car.
If all those things check out I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy it (if the price was right, though I'm not much for paying the premium for a super low mileage Honda.).

as for the warranty, I can't guide you there, I never go for those.