Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   (Not) typical question about disconnect DRL's (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/89645-not-typical-question-about-disconnect-drls.html)

hogwylde 05-28-2015 07:42 PM

(Not) typical question about disconnect DRL's

I pulled the fuse on the DRL's to see if I would like it and besides them being off, I can see no advantage or what there's to like or dislike about it. I would have liked it it the dash wasn't lit 24/7 but it still is. The ONLY advantage I can see is if I am TOTALLY distracted, the DRL's won't make me think my headlights are on at night when they aren't.

So why do you guys disconnect yours?

xxryu139xx 05-28-2015 08:01 PM

odd how your DRL light is on. mine isn't.

hogwylde 05-28-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by xxryu139xx (Post 1307822)
odd how your DRL light is on. mine isn't.

My DRL's are out.

I was saying that it would have been nice if the fuse also turned my dash off (except when headlights are on).

I'm just looking to see what the "advantage" is of having no DRL's (if any).

xxryu139xx 05-28-2015 09:00 PM

only advantage is to preserve your HID bulbs.

GoBucky 05-29-2015 07:37 AM

I have mine disabled to reduce wear & tear on the headlights and to reduce the load (albeit minor) on the engine and battery.

Uncle Gary 05-29-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 1307881)
I have mine disabled to reduce wear & tear on the headlights and to reduce the load (albeit minor) on the engine and battery.

Being that the DRLs use the high beam at reduced voltage, I can't imagine there is much "wear and tear" to consider. Incandescent lamps run at reduced voltage last exponentially longer. I have only anecdotal evidence to offer, but every time I've burned out an H4 lamp in my Fit, it's ALWAYS the low beam that fails. If the DRLs were wearing out the bulbs I'd expect the high beam filament to go first.

GoBucky 05-29-2015 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1307884)
Being that the DRLs use the high beam at reduced voltage, I can't imagine there is much "wear and tear" to consider. Incandescent lamps run at reduced voltage last exponentially longer. I have only anecdotal evidence to offer, but every time I've burned out an H4 lamp in my Fit, it's ALWAYS the low beam that fails. If the DRLs were wearing out the bulbs I'd expect the high beam filament to go first.

Yes, but the fact that your DRLs are on 100% of the time that your ignition is on, will create wear on the filaments.

Uncle Gary 05-29-2015 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 1307885)
Yes, but the fact that your DRLs are on 100% of the time that your ignition is on, will create wear on the filaments.

Theoretically, yes, but as a practical matter, it's so minimal due to the reduced voltage that it's not worth it for me to worry about it.

Codger01 05-31-2015 01:31 AM

I pulled the fuse because I don't like the whole idea behind DRL's. No advantage.