General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Sweet setup! I'm also curious what type of mattress you used?

I just bought an '11 fit and am getting it ready to live out of for several months when I head out on a round-the-country exploration in a few weeks.

I'm trying to decide whether to build some sort of setup like this or just throw a memory foam mattrest topper or something down in the back so that rather than having a "permanent" frame in the back of my car I would have the option of rolling the mattress up and utilizing the back seats if need be.

Any thoughts/suggestions from anyone who has done something like this?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think the OP's wood insert is a very nice effort and probably works well for a couple side by side.

However, I absolutely hate adding weight to the car for any drive, camping included, and try to minimize container weight.

At 5'9" I've slept diagonally on a thermarest (thin air mattress) in the back of our 2015 fit without too much problem. If I was going on a solo trip for a few months, I think I would just move a few boxes to the front seats for the evening and use an air mattress and sleeping bag and skip the full on wood infrastructure for a single.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
So using this design and the pictures here I created a version based on Poopsicle's design, and have all the dimensions and even a sketchup for it that I want to release.

I'm wondering if I should post it here or start a new thread...

Here are the pictures from my build.

Attached Thumbnails Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!-img_3908.jpg   Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!-img_3804.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by poopsicle
Howdy forum!
So I mentioned this in my introduction post (which I’m sure very few of you saw), but I am turning my 07’ Honda Fit into a mobile camper.

This is a project I’ve thought about for a while, and I finally got around to designing plans and executing them about a month ago. The idea was to install a removable bed in the back/trunk area so that I could drive around, explore the country, and sleep in the car.

Here was my design process:
1. First I spent a good deal of time measuring the space with the back seats folded down flat. I made notes of the dimensions, both with the driver/passenger seats up and pushed forward. I’m only 5’8” but I knew that I’d need to design the bed with the max length from trunk to seats.
2. I designed the blueprints and mapped the cuts I would need to make at Home Depot to maximize the wood scrap. I got all all the supplies and got to work.
3. I built the base. I knew I wanted to have storage underneath the bed, so I built it out of 2x12s. I forget the total length of the board, but I only used one. I used brackets and installed a piece through the middle for stability. This thing is solid:
4. Next came the bed. It is 3 pieces of plywood that sit on top of the frame. I designed it with 2 hinges in strategic spots. The one closet to the trunk allows me lift up and access storage even with the mattress, blankets, etc. It was extremely handy at the campsite. The second hinge is located near the head area. When the driver/passenger seats are pushed forward, that piece lifts forward and adds an additional 14” of space. So when the entire piece is flat, I have 69” of space from head to toe, and 39” from side to side–more than enough more me. Here is a photo:
And here is how the storage is easily accessed:
5. With my scrap wood, I knew I wanted to install a table that slides out from the trunk. It’s about 31”x17” and is a very useful bonus addition that I’m happy I installed:
6. Lastly, I designed the plywood bed portion to fold up into a convenient-to-move piece. The entire thing folds up into a roughly 35”x39” shape that locks into itself:
So I am extremely proud of how everything turned out. To test out the functionality, I drove 9 hours to Yellowstone National Park and camped out for 3 days with my girlfriend. It worked perfectly!
I purchased some special shades to block out the windows and provide some privacy, and they worked great as well.
My first successful car-camping trip was incredibly liberating. I felt free on the road and connected with my car. I purchased a National Park pass and already have more trips planned for this year. My main purpose for joining this forum is to share my design with anyone that's interested, possibly answer some questions, and research my next steps. I want to add a roof rack and a cargo carrier to multiply my storage space, and I'm not sure where to start. But I'm gonna start digging!

Thanks for your checking out my project! In you have any interest in following my car-camping adventures, I started an Instagram account: car_trek

Cheers y'all!
Damn this is slick! Nice job very jealous over here!

Attached Thumbnails Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!-spfzbud.jpg  
Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
The feeling you get when you conceive an idea, plan it and then follow through with it...the feeling of accomplishment you get never gets old! Great "adventure" with great experiences that add positively to who you are as a person. Kudos to you!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Hey poopsicle, just curious as to how much this project costed you!? I am wanting to do something like this to my 2015 Fit. Also I was wondering what you use as your mattress? Is that a blow up?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by trebory6
So using this design and the pictures here I created a version based on Poopsicle's design, and have all the dimensions and even a sketchup for it that I want to release.

Hey! Would you please post these or send them to me? I want to build this. What model year did you build for?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skyles
Hey! Would you please post these or send them to me? I want to build this. What model year did you build for?
I'd be interested in checking this out, as well!

Old 12-25-2016, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
for the love of God....anybody that does this...

Please take the rear seats out... So much weight savings can be had. and extra storage space too!

Looks Good.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up Care to share sketchup?

Hey, I would love to see your sketchup file for this! Going to take my first camping trip in July and would love to use your build!

Old 02-12-2017, 03:29 PM
I would too, I have a 11 version - but I'm 5ft 10, I'm not sure if I'm going to be a couple of inches too tall.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Wow, that's a pretty creative use of the space back there! If I wasn't 6'2" it'd be a possibility for me...alas, I'd need a Fit Shuttle to make it work.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM

This is amazing and I'd love to make this for myself. Would you please message me the full plans? Also, about how long did it take you to assemble the rig?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Please, please, please share with me! I'm out of my element on this stuff and need just a bit more to go on. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Here is my mobile camper. LOL
I tow my GD3 behind it for local transportation.

This pic shows my last tow car not my GD3

Attached Thumbnails Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!-sam_0402.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Wow, that is seriously genius. Surprised to not have seen this done before to a fit. given the space in the back it makes complete sense.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 AM
This is incredible. I'm only 5'4" so this would be perfect for me (and the dog). I would just need to figure out a way to build it with the middle support so that I could fit skis under the bed. My longest skis are 173 cm (5'6"). I want to do a road trip from Colorado to Mt Hood, Oregon.

I like the idea of removing one of removing one of the back seats.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Made my own!

My wonderful boyfriend and his dad used your post and blueprints to turn my 2013 Honda fit into a camper as well. We use the 1X12 wood has suggested in the comments to keep the weight down.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Built One Myself

Here is a simple Honda Fit Platform Idea that I just built.

All that is needed:
1 - 1/2" or 3/4" 4x8ft Plywood.
4 - 12 Gallon HDX Totes - HDX HDX 17 GAL TOTE-HDX17GONLINE(6) - The Home Depot
2 - 5 Gallon HDX Totes (Home Depot) - HDX 5 Gal. Heavy Duty Storage Tote-HD5G-1PK - The Home Depot
Hinges - Piano Hinges work great, but are expensive. I used something similar to these: Everbilt 3-1/2 in. x 1/4 in. Radius Satin Nickel Door Hinge-14985 - The Home Depot
2- 6ftx2ft Cardboard Pieces
Marker, Exacto Knife Etc.

Tools:
I used a Jigsaw but a Circular Saw would help with cuts.
Power Drill and Small Drillbit

I started by having Home Depot cut my 4x8 down the middle to make two 2x8 boards. This both helped me get the board home (you can lower the front passenger seat all the way back, and push the boards up to the dash).
If you wanted you could honestly have them cut it to the length you wanted (72-76" probably depending on preference) then have them cut it in half so you have 4ft by 72". This would save you a cut at home.

I started by laying the Totes out in the back of the fit after dropping the middle seats down, and sliding the front seats all the way forward and then dropping the backrests all the way backward. The four bigger totes get setup along the back, and the two small totes go in between the bolsters of the drivers and passengers seats.

Next I slid the wood in on the passenger side and measured roughly to how long I wanted to cut it. I think I did mine at 76". A little past 6ft since I am 5'11" and like to have a little extra room for the pillow. Once I had cut the board to length I put it back in, then placed a piece of cardboard on top of it. The cardboard I then pushed towards the wall and using an xacto knife I cut out pieces of it until it fit as flush as I wanted. This meant the back of the board needed to be angled slightly to have the longest part in the middle, and shorter on the right side, cutting a slot for the seat bracket and wheel well. Once I had done this I made the cuts with a jigsaw.

Once I placed the board back in and realized it worked I put my cardboard back in and decided where I wanted the board to fold backwards. You have to make sure you can fold it back without scraping the ceiling and have enough clearance for the seatbelt attachment. I didn't do an exact measurement, I just marked it via the carboard once I realized where the fold was, and then I xacto knifed out the corner until it would clear the seat belt. Again back to the jigsaw. I started by cutting the board across the middle where I would be placing the hinges, then I cut the corners. Once this was done I did a preliminary test fold to make sure it would clear once the hinges where attached. Bingo! First try.

So I proceeded to attach the hinges and voila! I had one half of my sleeping platform!

Repeat on the other side. If done properly you shouldn't need to do anything but trim the wheel well spots and the boards will fit perfectly across the back.

A few things of note before photos.
1. The totes aren't the strongest. I'm a lightweight guy (145lbs) so I feel safe with just the three totes supporting me, you might not. Maybe add some bracing with the leftover wood you cut.
2. I didn't add any hing in the back to access storage. This could be nice, but I figured it might compromise the integrity of the board and thus require extra bracing which I didn't want to do.
3. My idea was to make this incredibly light and versatile. It works. I can run this with both platforms for my wife and me. Or run a single for just me. I can also pop up the double wide seat in the back and fold this and stick them on the right side standing upright and put all the tubs together to fit 4 people while driving if necessary. You can also have the seats slid back and upright with just the boards folded if you only have two people. I would caution you that since nothing is stationary this is probably unsafe.
4. All told this cost me about 3 hours of time and $60 in wood and parts.
5. I haven't yet but sanding all edges will really help, and maybe using yoga mats or some rubber flooring on top could help.
6. I use two Thermarest sleeping mats that are wide and long, but you could also go buy some foam for a bed and cut to size.
7. You could always use extra totes for storage, a spare 5 gallon fits perfectly to slide out the rear doors between the middle 12 gallon and 5 gallon.
8. A spare piece of wood across the middle and under the platform might help with stability if you want to sleep in the middle of the platform. I haven't done enough testing yet to see if this is necessary.

Now some photos!

Both Boards laid out, cut and hinged.

Both Boards laid out, cut and hinged.

You can see that a long and wide Thermarest fits well.

Perfect fit!

Very cozy with a nice wide blanket

Here you can see the position of the second tote and the edge of the smaller 5 gallon tote between the bolsters.

Again, totes sitting here. They tend to be a little wobbly until weight is resting on them. Might be worth figuring out some way to support them underneath.

This is with them folded back, and you can see that the driver and passenger seat have room to drive and be comfortable.

This is with them folded back, and you can see that the driver and passenger seat have room to drive and be comfortable.

If you pull the boards out and fold them, you can fit them back in upright with two extra seats in the second row. You might have a limit of tub space, but they all stack easily so as long as you don't have a ton you can make it worke.

Might be lacking in shoulder room for the back two people, but hey, this is more an emergency situation.

Here is my setup for just me, as you can see I can fit my mountain bike and still have room. When I'm using it just by myself I use the extra totes as storage. A spare 12 gallon fits well between my bike and the platform, and the spare 5 gallon works well under the platform to slide out the passenger side back door.

Another photo with bike.

Final thoughts. I'm excited to start using this! Good luck with your own project..... and NO, I do NOT have blueprints or measurements, I used the cardboard for all the cuts etc. and that was easier than being exact with measurements.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone.
I am new in this forum, I am from Portugal

I was looking on google for ways to convert my car (Honda Jazz/Fit Sport) into a small camper, and I was very very happy to find this post where I see that my idea was already put in practice with a very nice result.

In the next month I will try to do the same conversion in my car, and I will follow your designs.

Thank you everyone for sharing! I will post pictures as soon as the project is finished !

Last edited by Jazz addict; 09-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!