Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Turning my Fit into a mobile camper! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/90939-turning-my-fit-into-mobile-camper.html)

poopsicle 09-02-2015 01:58 PM

Turning my Fit into a mobile camper!

6 Attachment(s)
Howdy forum!
So I mentioned this in my introduction post (which I’m sure very few of you saw), but I am turning my 07’ Honda Fit into a mobile camper.

This is a project I’ve thought about for a while, and I finally got around to designing plans and executing them about a month ago. The idea was to install a removable bed in the back/trunk area so that I could drive around, explore the country, and sleep in the car.

Here was my design process:
1. First I spent a good deal of time measuring the space with the back seats folded down flat. I made notes of the dimensions, both with the driver/passenger seats up and pushed forward. I’m only 5’8” but I knew that I’d need to design the bed with the max length from trunk to seats.
2. I designed the blueprints and mapped the cuts I would need to make at Home Depot to maximize the wood scrap. I got all all the supplies and got to work.
3. I built the base. I knew I wanted to have storage underneath the bed, so I built it out of 2x12s. I forget the total length of the board, but I only used one. I used brackets and installed a piece through the middle for stability. This thing is solid:

Attachment 86333

4. Next came the bed. It is 3 pieces of plywood that sit on top of the frame. I designed it with 2 hinges in strategic spots. The one closet to the trunk allows me lift up and access storage even with the mattress, blankets, etc. It was extremely handy at the campsite. The second hinge is located near the head area. When the driver/passenger seats are pushed forward, that piece lifts forward and adds an additional 14” of space. So when the entire piece is flat, I have 69” of space from head to toe, and 39” from side to side–more than enough more me. Here is a photo:

Attachment 86334

And here is how the storage is easily accessed:

Attachment 86335

5. With my scrap wood, I knew I wanted to install a table that slides out from the trunk. It’s about 31”x17” and is a very useful bonus addition that I’m happy I installed:

Attachment 86336

6. Lastly, I designed the plywood bed portion to fold up into a convenient-to-move piece. The entire thing folds up into a roughly 35”x39” shape that locks into itself:

Attachment 86337

So I am extremely proud of how everything turned out. To test out the functionality, I drove 9 hours to Yellowstone National Park and camped out for 3 days with my girlfriend. It worked perfectly! :thumbups:
I purchased some special shades to block out the windows and provide some privacy, and they worked great as well.

Attachment 86338

My first successful car-camping trip was incredibly liberating. I felt free on the road and connected with my car. I purchased a National Park pass and already have more trips planned for this year. My main purpose for joining this forum is to share my design with anyone that's interested, possibly answer some questions, and research my next steps. I want to add a roof rack and a cargo carrier to multiply my storage space, and I'm not sure where to start. But I'm gonna start digging!

Thanks for your checking out my project! In you have any interest in following my car-camping adventures, I started an Instagram account: car_trek

Cheers y'all!

aznsupaman408 09-02-2015 11:05 PM

Feel free to send me the blueprints! :D

geopat 09-02-2015 11:12 PM

Need to cut the roof off and add a pop up camper top.

fittmann 09-03-2015 08:13 AM

Looks GREAT! Nothing like having a good DIY project turn out so well! I am curious, though, as to how much it weighs. I am also envious of your trip to Yellowstone...it's on my bucket list, but I fear that I shall NEVER drive all the way there! LOL!!

GoBucky 09-04-2015 08:28 AM

Very impressive, and some great ideas! I was hoping to see a picture of how the 14" piece plywood folds down once the front seats are moved forward.

DrewE 09-04-2015 07:46 PM

I agree with everyone else—nice job, and it seems to serve your needs just fine.

For someone else contemplating this, I might suggest using 1x12's and 1/4" or 3/8" plywood rather than the heftier wood used here. The difference in strength is immaterial for the usage it's getting, and it'll save a noticeable amount of weight. (Many RVs use even lighter construction for the beds and cabinets, and it holds up acceptably. Often they do glue the joints; a well-made glued joint with a good wood glue is very strong indeed.)

Fit Fun PNW 09-08-2015 01:09 AM

I like your design

I like you design. I have done a few trips in my fit. I also have a microwave in my so I can have hot coffee before I ever get out of bed.

I am thinking of removing the larger of the back seats to give more rooms.

poopsicle 09-08-2015 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by aznsupaman408 (Post 1318976)
Feel free to send me the blueprints! :D

I have the blueprints for the plywood part but can't find the the blueprint for the base yet. Hopefully this makes sense but let me know if you have questions. This is also based on my '07 so other models may have different measurements. The rectangle on the right is for the table, and the dotted lines represent cuts in the plywood.

Attachment 86332

Originally Posted by geopat (Post 1318977)
Need to cut the roof off and add a pop up camper top.

That would be amazing but certainly down the road haha. For now the future mods are additional window tints, a roof rack, and a cargo carrier.

Originally Posted by fittmann (Post 1319004)
Looks GREAT! Nothing like having a good DIY project turn out so well! I am curious, though, as to how much it weighs. I am also envious of your trip to Yellowstone...it's on my bucket list, but I fear that I shall NEVER drive all the way there! LOL!!

Yea it was a far drive. Even once you're in the park, it's A LOT of driving from destination to destination. But holy cow it was beautiful!

poopsicle 09-08-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 1319121)
Very impressive, and some great ideas! I was hoping to see a picture of how the 14" piece plywood folds down once the front seats are moved forward.

Next time I throw it in the car (hopefully in the next two weeks) I'll snap a photo. That hinge really does make a huge difference. It allows me to drive around with the bed already installed, and allows 14 inches of extra sleeping space.

Originally Posted by DrewE (Post 1319169)
I agree with everyone else—nice job, and it seems to serve your needs just fine.

For someone else contemplating this, I might suggest using 1x12's and 1/4" or 3/8" plywood rather than the heftier wood used here. The difference in strength is immaterial for the usage it's getting, and it'll save a noticeable amount of weight. (Many RVs use even lighter construction for the beds and cabinets, and it holds up acceptably. Often they do glue the joints; a well-made glued joint with a good wood glue is very strong indeed.)

Yea I agree, there are definitely lighter ways to do this. I was actually just talking to a friend this weekend who is a welder. I showed him my plans and he immediately said he could help me make it out of cheap, light-weight metal. I think that's what the future holds.

Originally Posted by Fit Fun PNW (Post 1319394)
I like you design. I have done a few trips in my fit. I also have a microwave in my so I can have hot coffee before I ever get out of bed.

I am thinking of removing the larger of the back seats to give more rooms.

Yea for SURE need to add some way to drink coffee. I have a propane stove-top, so really I just need to acquire a slow drip coffee pot to pour boiling water in. I was kind of inspired by the people that live out of their Vanagons.... those guys have like full kitchens and stove tops haha!

gregdeezey 09-08-2015 08:34 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I have been doing a lot of camping lately and building mine up also.. not for camping inside but for carrying everything.. great build!

Bossharp 09-12-2015 03:38 PM

Very functional! In the Fit camping has to be a challenge since there is serious limits on what you can carry. Both in weight and size. It's a real challenge to prioritize your needs. I would have to set up a dual battery/converter to be able to run a Cpap unit as I have sleep apnea. But the Fits electrical system is very minimal both weak battery and alternator.

bargainguy 09-14-2015 10:36 PM

Poopsicle: Awesome, and thanks for including the plans. Might give this a go.

Fit Fun PNW: How in the world do you run a microwave off the Fit? Can't be off the car battery, right? Power cord to micro hanging out a window and hooked up to camping electrical outlet?

I blow the fuses in my GD3 just from running a tiny emergency compressor when I have a flat, and I'll bet the tiny compressor sucks a lot less wattage than a microwave.

Ex-MA Hole 09-16-2015 08:28 AM

This makes me giddy. I love it.

Esmeralda Hasbun 09-21-2015 01:50 PM

I love it!

poopsicle 09-22-2015 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by bargainguy (Post 1320031)
Poopsicle: Awesome, and thanks for including the plans. Might give this a go.

Fit Fun PNW: How in the world do you run a microwave off the Fit? Can't be off the car battery, right? Power cord to micro hanging out a window and hooked up to camping electrical outlet?

I blow the fuses in my GD3 just from running a tiny emergency compressor when I have a flat, and I'll bet the tiny compressor sucks a lot less wattage than a microwave.

My pleasure! I just sent them off to a friend who bought a Fit. Still waiting to meet up with my buddy to see about building a lighter metal version.

I have not looked much into any electric adaptors. For food I have relied on my girlfriend's portable propane stovetop.

My current project is researching roof racks and cargo carriers to significantly increase my storage space. I think I actually found a great cargo carrier but I'm stuck on the roof rack. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or are you aware of a good roof rack related thread? Thanks in advance!

I took it out again this past weekend and I'm still in love with it. Heading to Aspen (I know, fancy right?) in a couple weeks to check out the changing trees. Very much looking forward to it!

Cheftodd57 05-22-2016 04:59 PM

That's amazing!!

Camping to Cape Cod the first week of July I would love to build the same thing you have can you sell me the plans for that?

I think you have a new business venture in the making

Action Jackson 05-22-2016 08:57 PM

Nice! I'm 5'6" and manage to sleep comfortably sideways on the rear seats in my GK.

trebory6 05-31-2016 07:57 PM

Wow, Poopsicle! This is amazing. What kind/size of mattress was put into this setup?

gallent92 06-07-2016 05:02 AM

Pretty good design and looks very comfy!

dwtaylorpdx 06-07-2016 07:54 PM

Wonder if the pop up part of a VW westfalia would fit on a Fit? :D