General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What A Pain in The Arse

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:34 PM
What A Pain in The Arse

So, I bought a new 2016 Fit this week.

Went to check tire pressures in all tires including the spare.

Was shocked to find that the spare's valve stem was mounted on the underside of the wheel, and I had to take the spare out of the car to check and add pressure since it was 7 psi low.

Thought it was the wrong wheel and went back to my dealer to find that all the 2016 Fits use the same type of mounting.

Service person said nobody checks the spare so that is just the way Honda decided to mount the wheel. Hogwash! I check mine every few months to be sure the spare will be ready if needed.

Never saw such a thing.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Here's another thread that discusses this topic. Also has a cheap fix (air line extension).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ght=spare+tire

Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer isn't wrong though, most people never check the spare tire pressure, when in the service department I would say 95% of the time the spare on trade ins were either low on pressure, flat or missing entirely.

Of course spare tires are not included on a lot of new econo cars so I suppose at least honda included one.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Only 7psi low? Mine was @30psi, so about 30psi low!

I too added the cheap extension line. Now the fill valve rests in the tray under the mat. Easy peasy to check and fill.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 AM
I did the same with the valve extension for the spare. Accuguage who also make a great tire guage sells them. About $12 off of Amazon. I check it along with the tires. They will lose air pretty quickly at some times of the year as the temp falls. Remember a tire loses about 1 psi for every 10 degrees in temp drop.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by vegajf
The dealer isn't wrong though, most people never check the spare tire pressure, when in the service department I would say 95% of the time the spare on trade ins were either low on pressure, flat or missing entirely.

Of course spare tires are not included on a lot of new econo cars so I suppose at least honda included one.

Any dealer trying to sell me a car without spare and jack would be told to put it where the sun don't shine.

Unless they could supply the items w/o cost, they just lost a sale.

Do not want to call AAA for a tow since many tire damages won't be fixed by sealant.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Bob Levine
Service person said nobody checks the spare so that is just the way Honda decided to mount the wheel.
Never saw such a thing.
That's not right, and you could demonstrate it yourself.

Remove the spare and replace it valve side up. Problem solved, right? Wrong. The tool tray insert will not go back in and be below the level of the floor mat.

Honda is not unique with this either.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by gderf
That's not right, and you could demonstrate it yourself.

Remove the spare and replace it valve side up. Problem solved, right? Wrong. The tool tray insert will not go back in and be below the level of the floor mat.

Honda is not unique with this either.
I tried that with the results you mentioned.

A redesign would be needed.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bob Levine
Any dealer trying to sell me a car without spare and jack would be told to put it where the sun don't shine.

Unless they could supply the items w/o cost, they just lost a sale.

Do not want to call AAA for a tow since many tire damages won't be fixed by sealant.
I agree, my aunt purchased a new chevy camaro and had no idea it didn't have a spare tire until I mentioned it. Its not something the salesman discloses unless you ask, its sold as an accessory item.

If you know before you purchase at least make the dealer throw it in the deal.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Well, I give Honda credit for maximizing use of available the volume. The extension hose is a cheap and effective fix. They should throw one in for free - even if the dealer had to do it and eat the cost. You might suggest that to the that "service person."

I put a small dab of grease on the valve stem threads before putting the hose on. If that connection were to corrode and seize you would be hosed if you ever needed to use the spare. (pun intended)

Old 05-15-2016, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
My dealer always (he says) checks the spare when I'm in for service. (I've checked the tire rotation and pressure. Always spot on.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by rprpclark
My dealer always (he says) checks the spare when I'm in for service. (I've checked the tire rotation and pressure. Always spot on.
Your dealer is a gem.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 AM
I had friends looking at a new 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and saw that those did not come with a spare tire. Now they provide a Tire Repair Kit. I'm wondering if Honda will be moving towards this for future cars so it may be the beginning of the end of the spare tire

Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Chevy has done this for a while but sells a spare/jack kit.

If I were getting a Chevy or the Accord hybrid, I'd tell the dealer to either throw in a spare/jack kit or put the car where the sun don't shine.

Many flats cannot be fixed with a fill up kit. I've had several and do have AAA + Honda Care but still want the spare.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:12 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i agree with the valve pointing downward.. pita. but this is the same way on my other cars... not dat im saying that is okay. all pita.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shopgal
I had friends looking at a new 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and saw that those did not come with a spare tire. Now they provide a Tire Repair Kit. I'm wondering if Honda will be moving towards this for future cars so it may be the beginning of the end of the spare tire
I thought I read somewhere (here?) that the spare was going to be eliminated in the 2017 but then I wondered what they're going to do with that hole in the back? I too rejected a few cars (hello Hyundai) because of the missing spare tire, and even got into an argument with a saleswoman on the floor when she said I was just "being silly" ... but on my way out a couple stopped my car and the guy thanked me for bringing it up because he had no idea the spare was missing.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would definitely prefer a spare over an inflator foam can or runflat tires.

its like i get a puncture almost every year on one of my cars...

Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Yep the run-flats are EXPENSIVE!.....

Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Too bad to hear they are not including the spare tire on these models. Sooner or later, spare tire will be very useful.

Quick Reply: What A Pain in The Arse