Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   What A Pain in The Arse (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/93251-what-pain-arse.html)

Bob Levine 05-07-2016 09:34 PM

What A Pain in The Arse

So, I bought a new 2016 Fit this week.

Went to check tire pressures in all tires including the spare.

Was shocked to find that the spare's valve stem was mounted on the underside of the wheel, and I had to take the spare out of the car to check and add pressure since it was 7 psi low.

Thought it was the wrong wheel and went back to my dealer to find that all the 2016 Fits use the same type of mounting.

Service person said nobody checks the spare so that is just the way Honda decided to mount the wheel. Hogwash! I check mine every few months to be sure the spare will be ready if needed.

Never saw such a thing.

BenQuick 05-07-2016 10:16 PM

Here's another thread that discusses this topic. Also has a cheap fix (air line extension).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ght=spare+tire

vegajf 05-07-2016 10:30 PM

The dealer isn't wrong though, most people never check the spare tire pressure, when in the service department I would say 95% of the time the spare on trade ins were either low on pressure, flat or missing entirely.

Of course spare tires are not included on a lot of new econo cars so I suppose at least honda included one.

gderf 05-07-2016 10:32 PM

Only 7psi low? Mine was @30psi, so about 30psi low!

I too added the cheap extension line. Now the fill valve rests in the tray under the mat. Easy peasy to check and fill.

John Dahlmeier 05-08-2016 09:14 AM

I did the same with the valve extension for the spare. Accuguage who also make a great tire guage sells them. About $12 off of Amazon. I check it along with the tires. They will lose air pretty quickly at some times of the year as the temp falls. Remember a tire loses about 1 psi for every 10 degrees in temp drop.

Bob Levine 05-08-2016 09:23 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

Bob Levine 05-08-2016 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by vegajf (Post 1344066)
The dealer isn't wrong though, most people never check the spare tire pressure, when in the service department I would say 95% of the time the spare on trade ins were either low on pressure, flat or missing entirely.

Of course spare tires are not included on a lot of new econo cars so I suppose at least honda included one.

Any dealer trying to sell me a car without spare and jack would be told to put it where the sun don't shine.

Unless they could supply the items w/o cost, they just lost a sale.

Do not want to call AAA for a tow since many tire damages won't be fixed by sealant.

gderf 05-08-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Levine (Post 1344062)
Service person said nobody checks the spare so that is just the way Honda decided to mount the wheel.
Never saw such a thing.

That's not right, and you could demonstrate it yourself.

Remove the spare and replace it valve side up. Problem solved, right? Wrong. The tool tray insert will not go back in and be below the level of the floor mat.

Honda is not unique with this either.

Bob Levine 05-08-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by gderf (Post 1344087)
That's not right, and you could demonstrate it yourself.

Remove the spare and replace it valve side up. Problem solved, right? Wrong. The tool tray insert will not go back in and be below the level of the floor mat.

Honda is not unique with this either.

I tried that with the results you mentioned.

A redesign would be needed.

vegajf 05-08-2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Levine (Post 1344086)
Any dealer trying to sell me a car without spare and jack would be told to put it where the sun don't shine.

Unless they could supply the items w/o cost, they just lost a sale.

Do not want to call AAA for a tow since many tire damages won't be fixed by sealant.

I agree, my aunt purchased a new chevy camaro and had no idea it didn't have a spare tire until I mentioned it. Its not something the salesman discloses unless you ask, its sold as an accessory item.

If you know before you purchase at least make the dealer throw it in the deal.

gderf 05-08-2016 09:50 AM

Well, I give Honda credit for maximizing use of available the volume. The extension hose is a cheap and effective fix. They should throw one in for free - even if the dealer had to do it and eat the cost. You might suggest that to the that "service person."

I put a small dab of grease on the valve stem threads before putting the hose on. If that connection were to corrode and seize you would be hosed if you ever needed to use the spare. (pun intended)

rprpclark 05-15-2016 10:28 PM

My dealer always (he says) checks the spare when I'm in for service. (I've checked the tire rotation and pressure. Always spot on.

Bob Levine 05-16-2016 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by rprpclark (Post 1344791)
My dealer always (he says) checks the spare when I'm in for service. (I've checked the tire rotation and pressure. Always spot on.

Your dealer is a gem.

shopgal 07-05-2016 01:09 AM

I had friends looking at a new 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and saw that those did not come with a spare tire. Now they provide a Tire Repair Kit. I'm wondering if Honda will be moving towards this for future cars so it may be the beginning of the end of the spare tire :(

Bob Levine 07-05-2016 05:16 AM

Chevy has done this for a while but sells a spare/jack kit.

If I were getting a Chevy or the Accord hybrid, I'd tell the dealer to either throw in a spare/jack kit or put the car where the sun don't shine.

Many flats cannot be fixed with a fill up kit. I've had several and do have AAA + Honda Care but still want the spare.

kenchan 07-05-2016 07:12 AM

i agree with the valve pointing downward.. pita. but this is the same way on my other cars... not dat im saying that is okay. all pita.

bach 07-05-2016 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by shopgal (Post 1348619)
I had friends looking at a new 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and saw that those did not come with a spare tire. Now they provide a Tire Repair Kit. I'm wondering if Honda will be moving towards this for future cars so it may be the beginning of the end of the spare tire :(

I thought I read somewhere (here?) that the spare was going to be eliminated in the 2017 but then I wondered what they're going to do with that hole in the back? I too rejected a few cars (hello Hyundai) because of the missing spare tire, and even got into an argument with a saleswoman on the floor when she said I was just "being silly" ... but on my way out a couple stopped my car and the guy thanked me for bringing it up because he had no idea the spare was missing.

kenchan 07-05-2016 07:22 AM

i would definitely prefer a spare over an inflator foam can or runflat tires.

its like i get a puncture almost every year on one of my cars...

dwtaylorpdx 07-05-2016 11:46 AM

Yep the run-flats are EXPENSIVE!.....

gallent92 07-11-2016 04:28 AM

Too bad to hear they are not including the spare tire on these models. Sooner or later, spare tire will be very useful.