General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What do you wish you knew about your Fit before you bought it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
have a 15EX MT, wish I'd have known to just be patient and wait for the 2018 sport lol

Old 11-29-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
I knew about most of the problems and issues before I bought my 2017 EX. The thin paint worries me. Carbon build up is the biggest issue. I'll probably run higher octane and some injector cleaner starting with the next oil change. I've only racked up 3500 miles on the car so far.
I had a curious dream last night. I broke the turn signal wand in half, and at the same moment the driver's airbag cover came off the steering wheel. Worse yet, the dealer wouldn't honor the warranty and wanted to charge me $$$.
I hope this isn't a bad portent.
i've got a little over 4000 miles on my '19 LX , i added a few after market chassis braces to the car , does wonders for the car , it's very stable at high speeds and that's with 185 tires .
i like the car alot , but the car does seem built on the cheap in some respects . i've never seen such flimsey looking suspension pieces on a honda , was surprised . and the paint does
seem a little thin , i've got the modern metal color and it already is showing some light scratches . maybe i should have gotten the silver

Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I wish someone would've told me it would turn my white shoes black.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 PM
I wish I knew that the battery would not do well in a Canadian winter. Died in the cold about once a week. I’ll look into upgrading the battery for next year.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely upgrade to a 51R and be done with the dead battery!

Glad I did!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
There isn't any "wish I knew" information that would have changed my decision to buy the car. However, generally speaking, Honda quality has gone down in the last ten years. In the pursuit of market share and God knows what else, Honda has lost its soul and forgotten who they are. I hope they find their way home and go back to being the best carmaker in the world*. Specifically, the bad seats in my '13 Fit and the bad lumbar discs in my lower back are making the car difficult to enjoy. Feels like I'm sitting with my butt in a four gallon bucket.

*This probably won't happen since Millennials and Gen Z don't car about cars. They prefer to be self-driven or Uber or skateboard to work.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
I definitely don't like the seats. I've gotten used to it, but they aren't as good as the seats on my gen 1 fit.
I agree with another about the lack of cubby holes. I especially miss the one the gen 1 model had under the dash.
I despise not having a key. This start button malarkey is going to be the first thing I ask about the next time I buy a car. I want a key!!!!
The lack of a spare tire is worrisome, but so far no problems. I'm just going to tell them I want a spare tire instead of that stupid "kit" the next time I take it in for service.
The auto engine stop thing is probably my biggest complaint. I have to remember to turn it off every time I start the damn car.

hmm... other complaints are the plastic elbow rest on the door that just isn't big enough for my elbow and certainly not soft enough, the glove compartment is too small, thin paint as others have pointed out, and the gen 3 model just isn't as snappy as the gen 1 model.

This will be my second and last honda fit. It's not that it's a bad car, but it is no longer the great car that the gen 1 was.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
The car needs valve adjustments because it is how the car is made. Every engine needs to compensate for parts wear on the valve train. Some cars use hydraulic lifters that can seize, leak or fail if low oil pressure is present. The mechanical system is far more reliable and needs very few adjustments throughout the life of the engine.

There's nothing I wish I'd knew before I bought the car.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I only wished I'd known the tire size on the Sport offered limited options. I'm currently running Dunlop WinterMAXX for the winter, and have some Michelin Premier's for the summertime. I may go wider next round for summers...Silly Honda using 185-55-16...

Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 PM
I wish i knew it was going to be this sweet. I didn't realize just how fun it would be once i got through the break in period, and yet so economically sound.

If you're looking for a negative comment: i wish i knew how easily the paint chipped.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Belch
I definitely don't like the seats. I've gotten used to it, but they aren't as good as the seats on my gen 1 fit.
and the gen 3 model just isn't as snappy as the gen 1 model.

This will be my second and last honda fit. It's not that it's a bad car, but it is no longer the great car that the gen 1 was.
Thank you for posting this! I'm amazed at how few people remember that the GD seats are just fine. Even a short ride in my Mom's or friends GE Fit have my back hurting and the seats in the GK are no better.

When we went to replace our GD, we came home with a VW Golf....and kept our GD. I hope Honda uses better seats and puts the "sporty" back in with the next generation. Not to say that the GK isn't a better car in many ways. It's just not as sporty and it needs better seats.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bluepunk18
I only wished I'd known the tire size on the Sport offered limited options. I'm currently running Dunlop WinterMAXX for the winter, and have some Michelin Premier's for the summertime. I may go wider next round for summers...Silly Honda using 185-55-16...
You can get another more popular dimension of tire without any problem. I personally went with 205-50-16.
For the winter, you can easily buy another set of 15" rims, they are common and cheap. Then, you can go for 195-60-15 or 195-55-15, which should be a bit cheaper then a 16" tire, and a bit narrower then the 205 tire, which is better in snow.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Horrible ride. "Small" driver's side door armrest. Possibility of loose spark plugs "blowing" a hole in the engine. Valve adjustment requirement. Otherwise, love the highway gas mileage and storage!

Old 05-05-2019, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
I wish i knew it was going to be this sweet. I didn't realize just how fun it would be once i got through the break in period, and yet so economically sound.

If you're looking for a negative comment: i wish i knew how easily the paint chipped.
My sentiments exactly. If I knew how much fun yet economical it was I probably would have bought it sooner. And yeah, the paint chips easily (Orange Fury on mine).

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Would've bought the Sport....

I purchased my '09 Fit quite a while back from a CarMax dealership with just over 14k on it, so just barely brand new. I must not have paid too much attention, guess I was just glad to be getting it. For some dimwitted reason, I failed to recognize that the base model I was buying doesn't come with, cruise control, nor is it an option, only comes on the Sport. Had I seen that during my brief test drive, I probably would have asked to see one. My fault. I simply HATE long trips and having to constantly monitor the pedal manually. Also probably wouldn't hurt gas mileage either, although it isn't bad, around 38-39 highway trips. Off-topic, I noticed my MPG was down a bit lately so I decided to spray the MAF sensor and clean the throttle body. Never got a CEL or any driveability problems. Seems to have helped a bit, city up from about 28 to 32. I love to show people how clean the chrome exhaust tip still is at 125k, I wipe a white paper napkin and almost nothing shows on it from regular city thrash driving. I've been sticking with Shell 87 consistently, Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 and a Wix XP filter when the display indicator hits 10%, and trans fluid refill every 30k.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM
I wish I knew that Android Auto, while being more CONVENIENT than having my phone in a dashboard mount, would be SLOWER. If I had known that I very likely would have ended up going for the LX trim instead and saving a couple thousand dollars, as well as getting a wider variety of colors in stock to choose from.

Of course the push button start is nice too, so I may still have stuck with the EX.

Other than that I don't have any meaningful complaints so far.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
With as much talk about the seats as there seems to be... although I don't find the stock seat all that severely lacking in back support, I did decide to add this support. It's actually about 35 years old -- my Mom got it many years ago, probably when she was driving a '73 Toyota Celica and was having a lot of low back problems. I'm pretty sure this was not an off-the-shelf cheapo JC Whitney seat insert, either -- it was something her orthopedist recommended, and probably came from a medical supplier -- but it's just a simple (but strong) low-back support. I was using it in my '08 Sport and as soon as I got the '19 LX and drove it for a couple of days, decided to use it in the new car as well.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:53 AM
nasty steering wheel

I wish they put the better steering wheels on the EX and above, not just the EX-L and presumably the Sport. I didn't think I'd hate it so much, I loved the leather steering wheel on my old, bomby, falling apart, missing on all four cylinders, perishing MR paint, front bumper held on by zip ties, leaking, I've no idea how a cat peed on the back passenger side floor 2007 Sport AT and now my 2019 EX feels like a downgrade because there is no way to ignore a steering wheel. No OEM covers - not sure I'd like anything I'd put on it. And they still have the cheap, nasty carpet.