General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Grinding noise, high speed turns, left side

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Grinding noise, high speed turns, left side

Know those turns where like the stoplight has juuuust turned yellow and you're like "I can make it! I just have to not brake until the last minute and then swing left faster than normal!"?

Well there is a light near the gym where this is frequent, and my car makes a distinct grrrrrxrxrrrrxg while turning under load at higher-than-advisable speeds. Left side. What is it?!

It does NOT make any noise while turning from a stop at low speeds, even with the wheel cranked over.
It does NOT make any noise in long sweeping turns, like in an extended rotary.
It does NOT make any noise when the wheel is turned generally or while stationary.
It DOES make a similar noise when backing out of the driveway quickly (which is a turn) .. but only when cold, not on demand.

If a CV joint, that'd be a sad thing to find on a 35K mile car. And an expensive one. Maybe a brake pad scraping as the suspension distorts?

Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds more like your tires are rubbing the fender liner or the liner in the quarter? did you check? cars arent perfectly symmetrical so id check for rub marks first.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Along with kenchan's line of thought - perhaps the source of the noise is a piece of the plastic undercarriage that is a little loose?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Wouldn't it happen at low speeds, then, for any given steering angle?

Good point to check for rub marks though. Just in case .. it does sound more like a metallic scraping though.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Wouldn't it happen at low speeds, then, for any given steering angle?

Good point to check for rub marks though. Just in case .. it does sound more like a metallic scraping though.
Unless the added momentum while you are at speed causes the offending part to move more than it would at low speed. Grasping at straws here.Good luck with the search!

Old 12-15-2018, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
If not wheel bearing, then Hardened rubber on the strut; problem with the spring; rusting front brake backing plate, separating brake pad?

Old 12-29-2018, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Know those turns where like the stoplight has juuuust turned yellow and you're like "I can make it! I just have to not brake until the last minute and then swing left faster than normal!"?

Well there is a light near the gym where this is frequent, and my car makes a distinct grrrrrxrxrrrrxg while turning under load at higher-than-advisable speeds. Left side. What is it?!

It does NOT make any noise while turning from a stop at low speeds, even with the wheel cranked over.
It does NOT make any noise in long sweeping turns, like in an extended rotary.
It does NOT make any noise when the wheel is turned generally or while stationary.
It DOES make a similar noise when backing out of the driveway quickly (which is a turn) .. but only when cold, not on demand.

If a CV joint, that'd be a sad thing to find on a 35K mile car. And an expensive one. Maybe a brake pad scraping as the suspension distorts?
35K? By now you've probably changed your brake pads, but if you haven't it's probably the audible wear sensor telling you that you need to. Yeah it starts out making noise at odd times and not necessarily when you apply the brakes.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
It's been a while since anyone's been on this thread and it's unfortunate that OP doesn't seem to have found what the issue was.
I'm reviving this thread because I'm having literally the same exact issue as described in OP's initial post, except I'm driving a 3rd gen.
Just like OP, the sound is only apparent when under load, that is to say when I'm hitting the gas pedal attempting to accelerate through the hard left turn.
I've been able to replicate the noise in 1st gear, accelerating with the steering wheel turned left full-lock, but it's really most apparent in 2nd gear around a 90 degree or hairpin left.
I'd take it to a Honda dealership or shop if I thought I could take a technician on a drive with me without offending them with my less-than-safe maneuver.
Could it have anything to do with the differential? Any further insights would be great. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
You're right I haven't solved it. It has maybe increased a little in that now it can show up in more gradual left-hand turns but it's still rare.

Likely not brake wear as the front pads are barely worn (I don't brake much). Some kind of rust somewhere is my guess atm, and will presumably remain that way until it gets worse ...