Honda Fit Dealer Representatives Interact with local Honda dealer representatives for news, availability and purchase information.

Local dealer won't do Service Bulletin repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Local dealer won't do Service Bulletin repair

I have a 2009 Fit Sport with a manual transmission. As many other commenters have noted in these forums, my Average MPG gauge runs consistantly higher than the actual mileage calculated at fill-ups. It varies a bit, but is usually 10% to 14% higher than the actual calculated mileage.

A couple of the threads here have listed the Honda Service Bulletin 09-086 dated Nov. 18, 2009 which shows the process for the repair, the charge code and service time covered for repair under warranty, and it shows that the repair is applicable to ALL 2009 Fits. When I contacted my local Honda Dealer (Westhills Honda, Bremerton, WA) he asked for my VIN # and then said that the Bulletin does not apply to my car. I'd really like to get this repaired while the car is still under warranty and I believe that the dealer is just lying to me about it being covered. How do I need to contact to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
TSBs don't pull up by VIN, so you probably got an ignorant service advisor on the phone.

PRINT the TSB, bring it with you, and ask them to perform the TSB while it's still under warranty. If the dealership does not have the latest HDS software, 2.020.015 or later, then that could be the only reason to not attempt the TSB 09-086.

I had a customer of mine ask me to have it done, and when we attempted to our MVIC scanners told us his car already had the latest PCM update even though he swore the TSB had not been done. I couldn't explain that one?!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. (I'm not sure why I got the response I did, maybe it's not a money-maker for them.)

Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Yes service advisor was either ignorant, lazy or both. Take the car in under warranty now with complaint of defective mpg display. Tell them it is recording 15% high and even write down the TSB number for their reference. I'm sure the service tech will be familar with TSB and be quick to update your software.

Mine done at the same time as LMS recall and my car was out of warranty already also. Previously was way high like yours, now it is always accurate to within a few tenths of a mpg. Turns a worthless display into useful data.

_

Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
a TSB is not a recall. TSB's do not have to be performed under warranty. generally we charge .5 to update the pcm with a software if a vehicle is out of warranty

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by fitisno
a TSB is not a recall. TSB's do not have to be performed under warranty.
Sure they do, what are you talking about? TSB's document a known defect. His car is under warranty with a defect. TSB fixes his defect so of course it is covered by warranty.

generally we charge .5 to update the pcm with a software if a vehicle is out of warranty
Even for cars out of warranty this TSB is eligible for goodwill consideration (free repair). Dealer is instructed to seek approval from Honda, if dealer does not request this approval from Honda for their customer then again my comment applies, service advisor either ignorant or lazy and not doing their job. If Honda does not approve goodwill consideration then dealer would charge for it.

_

Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 PM
kinda. tsb's do document a known defect, but a defect that does not affect every vehicle where as the recall affects every vehicle in a vin range. the tsb MAY affect vehicles in the vin range. and i hear what your saying about goodwill and blah blah, im not saying his dealership sholdnt cover it, but if his vehicle is out of warranty and its not a recall they technically dont have to cover it

Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
kinda. tsb's do document a known defect, but a defect that does not affect every vehicle where as the recall affects every vehicle in a vin range. the tsb MAY affect vehicles in the vin range. and i hear what your saying about goodwill and blah blah, im not saying his dealership sholdnt cover it, but if his vehicle is out of warranty and its not a recall they technically dont have to cover it
Bottom line:

THE OP'S CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, AND HE HAS A COMPLAINT THAT IS ADDRESSED BY THE TSB - IT SHOULD BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE!!!

You stated that "we charge .5 to update a pcm" so I'm assuming you work at a dealership? Are you a tech, or an advisor? If you're a tech I understand the ignorance when it comes to TSBs and warranty repairs being free, but if you're an advisor then you should know how it works...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, my car is still under warranty. I have noy had a chance to try agin with the TSB in hand, but the initial response over the phone was "Give me your VIN... No, that TSB does not apply to your car."

Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Islander
Yes, my car is still under warranty. I have noy had a chance to try agin with the TSB in hand, but the initial response over the phone was "Give me your VIN... No, that TSB does not apply to your car."
Call and schedule a service appointment, don't mention the TSB only that your mpg gage is 15% off. Print the TSB and hand to service adjuster when you drop off the car. Wait 30 minutes and you should be driving away with an accurate gage. If you haven't done LMS recall yet I would do at the same time.

_

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Wait 30 minutes and you should be driving away with an accurate gage.

_
I wanna go to your dealer your dealer. My car sits in the write up area for 30 minutes before some one even gets in and moves it. This would be a two hour ordeal at my dealer..