Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Honda Fit Dealer Representatives (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/honda-fit-dealer-representatives/)
-   -   How can I become a Honda Service Advisor? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/honda-fit-dealer-representatives/69010-how-can-i-become-honda-service-advisor.html)

Cornerstrike 12-08-2011 02:54 PM

How can I become a Honda Service Advisor?

So I was looking into perhaps becoming a Honda Service Advisor and I had a few questions I would appreciate answers to.

1. Can someone without service advisor experience become one? Meaning no jiffy lube, pep boys, etc, experience?

I have customer service, management experience, and sales experience with other non automotive companies. But I do have a year sales experience with Acura, recent experience. I was wondering if this might qualify me or not

2. Does Honda have any bonus programs for service writers like they do for salesman? Or is it just what the dealer pays you? Meaning salary.

I ask because as an Acura salesmen, there were Honda programs to make bonus money based on certain goals achieved.

3. What does a beginning Honda Service Writer make on average?

I know this varies based on state, dealer pay plan and other factors. I would like to get an idea from those with experience however.

I would appreciate some answer and any other additional information you guys would like to add. Thanks.

Stevens24 12-10-2011 11:51 AM

Yes you can go from sales to service advisor. You will start at a lower lever(quick lube etc) which can pay 30-40k and you go up from there. typically there are no Honda bonuses although many dealers have bonuses for CSI etc. Go for it.

Cornerstrike 12-10-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stevens24 (Post 1055753)
Yes you can go from sales to service advisor. You will start at a lower lever(quick lube etc) which can pay 30-40k and you go up from there. typically there are no Honda bonuses although many dealers have bonuses for CSI etc. Go for it.

Thanks for the reply. I dont understand what you mean with your lower level(quick lube) example. I mean, are you saying that I would only be able to help/write up certain customers?

Also, some who works at an Acura dealer told me that their service writers get bonuses for upselling services. Ex: someone comes in for an oil change and you advise them to also get a rotation and air filter changed, things like that. I was wondering if Honda dealers do the same thing.

Any more feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

EnticedByTiffany 12-21-2011 11:19 PM

Hi.

Funny you ask because I'm actually a Honda service advisor for Express service. With your previous experience, you should have no issues getting into a Honda service advisor position. At the dealership I work at, most of the guys work M-F 7am to 6pm with an hour lunch. One of the advisors work only a 40 hour week, but I know he gets paid a lot less than the other guys due to the hour differences. He's making about 40k/year. The night advisor I work with just started his position about one-two months ago and he's making 60k+. He's only 24 and doesn't have a college degree or anything. He just purchased a house, he's pretty well off for being 24! They do get paid on salary plus I know they have scratch offs to make extra money based on what they sell and what not. Two advisors are set up as a "team" so you'll make money on your day off and your partner will make money when you're off if you two reach certain sales goals. But I'm not sure if that's only for the dealership I'm at or if it goes for everyone. I'm located in Minnesota. Hope this answered some of your questions! If anything else, let me know!

EnticedByTiffany 12-21-2011 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike (Post 1055765)
Thanks for the reply. I dont understand what you mean with your lower level(quick lube) example. I mean, are you saying that I would only be able to help/write up certain customers?

Also, some who works at an Acura dealer told me that their service writers get bonuses for upselling services. Ex: someone comes in for an oil change and you advise them to also get a rotation and air filter changed, things like that. I was wondering if Honda dealers do the same thing.

Any more feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

@Honda, you don't get spifffed for rotates and air filters. You have to sell cabin filters and like Honda's "B" service to get spiffed for it. Same goes for brakes, timing belts, fluid exchanges, minor services, what not.

Cornerstrike 12-22-2011 06:46 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Well now I have a little more hope about perhaps being able to get a service position at Honda. I was very hesitant since I don't have service experience.

It's also good to hear that you can make a living doing it. Finding a place that does night service would be great, since I don't making working nights at all, especially if it's possible to get paid a little more.

Now I just have to continue my search here in northern NJ from a dealer looking for someone like me.

Thanks again guys.

EnticedByTiffany 05-04-2012 06:23 PM

Hi. It's been a while, but just wanted to update ya. I recently got promoted to a Service Advisor and I work 10hour days with an hour lunch and I work 5 days a week. I am not straight commission and salary and I guess service advisors get paid three times a month. First two checks are flat rate, then your last check is your commission. I'll let you know how it goes and how the pay is if you still check this thread! :)

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike (Post 1058293)
Thanks guys for the replies.

Well now I have a little more hope about perhaps being able to get a service position at Honda. I was very hesitant since I don't have service experience.

It's also good to hear that you can make a living doing it. Finding a place that does night service would be great, since I don't making working nights at all, especially if it's possible to get paid a little more.

Now I just have to continue my search here in northern NJ from a dealer looking for someone like me.

Thanks again guys.

Cornerstrike 05-04-2012 09:28 PM

Hey guys. So in between me hunting a job at a Honda dealer, someone I worked with at Acura called me to go work at a Kia dealer that just opened. Honestly, this has been one of the best choices I have made.

As much as I love Honda, which I do, the Kia models give you more for your money. A lot more. I mean a fully loaded Optima SX gives you more than a loaded Acura TL. Its just crazy.

So I will do my best at Kia, and perhaps one day when Honda gets their mojo back, I'll make the switch again. Until then, I'll continue driving the shit out of my 11 GE8, the last JDM made Honda.