Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Calling all Camera experts! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/23632-calling-all-camera-experts.html)

TOOL 04-08-2008 12:18 PM

Calling all Camera experts!

Ok so im in the market for a new Camera. Originally planning on a lower end SLR. But last night i ran into a nice deal on a "advanced Digital" camera. Its a Canon. I found it for as low as 200 Shipped on some sites and thats about what i want to pay. Link to the cam-
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS digital camera

My question is, how will this compare to a low end SLR in picture quality. Will it be close?
Thanks!

Tyler

billmus86 04-08-2008 12:44 PM

I can't load the page so I can't tell u what I think
but it really comes down to if u want to change lenses...?
Do u want a small point and shoot
or a large block that needs to be kept in a bag..
image quality is usully very good now with any camera - just stay away from the ones that advertise acrazy high megapixel count
- the more pixels- the smaller they have to be to fit on the sensor which is no bigger than your pinky nail -- so there is less light reaching each one and u get a grainy image
plus you dont need a file that large u wouldnt be able to use it
I usually recommend casio for little point and shooters - my dslr is a minolta so I cant recomend it new- but its an awesome camera to use-

Also check out B&H

web: bhphotovideo.com
they are in NY great prices and fast shipping u can get anything from there

and now my thumbs are hurting bc I just typed this whole message on my phone lol

Good luck go to the store and try a few out see what brand's firmware u like the best

yeamans17 04-08-2008 12:46 PM

I'd just go pick up the canon digital rebel, they've dropped considerably in price since I bought mine a couple years back. I paid close to $900, now they can be had for just a hair over $500

TOOL 04-08-2008 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by yeamans17 (Post 277537)
I'd just go pick up the canon digital rebel, they've dropped considerably in price since I bought mine a couple years back. I paid close to $900, now they can be had for just a hair over $500

I would if i could, i just cant spend that much on a cam. Thats why im wondering how the one i linked to in my post does compared to something like that.
Thanks for the help guys.

Tyler

its.ryu 04-08-2008 01:30 PM

Hey thats the camera I have. I havent used it much but its much smaller then my friends DSLR. You can have pictures set to about 3xxx by 25xx to 6xx by 4xx. The only downfall of these is that you cant change lens. With lens you can blur background, "fish eye" etc. But now a days if you decent with photoshop you can do all that. Now I couple months ago I found a the Canon Rebel Xti or w/e it was called for $450 shipped. I was debating on which one to get as the DSLR was double the price. I borrowed my friends DSLR( same model ) and had a hard time using the camera. Well thats some thing a little time can fix. Now I cant tell you much more about the Canon as I have not used it much but I would be glad to let you play around with it this Saturday at the meet.

junior40er 04-08-2008 01:39 PM

It's not a bad point and shoot. However, you cannot compare it to a DSLR. I've owned about 6 Canon SD series cams and I loved them. However, my EOS XTi is giving me a Lot better pics overall and is capable of so much more.

But it does have a nice DIGIC sensor and image stabilizer. I'd say go for it.

junior40er 04-08-2008 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I's still say get an XTI and call it a day :D

Attachment 83859

TOOL 04-08-2008 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys. For 200$ it seems like a great deal. If i had 400+$ to spend on a cam id be all over a DSLR, the thing is funds are tight for me right now so about 200$ is all i can do.

Its.Ryu-Is your sig pic taken with the camera? Do you have any pics that you can show me that were taken with that cam? Thanks man. And yeah, ill be there sat to check it out!

Tyler

yeamans17 04-08-2008 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TOOL (Post 277614)
Thanks for all the answers guys. For 200$ it seems like a great deal. If i had 400+$ to spend on a cam id be all over a DSLR, the thing is funds are tight for me right now so about 200$ is all i can do.

Its.Ryu-Is your sig pic taken with the camera? Do you have any pics that you can show me that were taken with that cam? Thanks man. And yeah, ill be there sat to check it out!

Tyler

You don't even necessarily need to be able to pay for it up front...I bought mine with 12 months interest free when I was living with my parents, I had it paid off in 3

Fitcapo 04-08-2008 04:09 PM

The way I look at it is you need to decide what you want. Either a point and shoot or dslr. A dslr is a world of difference because of the different lenses you can get for it. While a point and shoot can be really nice you can never expand on whats on it to begin with.

I personally would get a dslr that way you really never have to update your camera again for a long time rather just buy a new lens. The only draw back to that is lenses are not cheap and a good one can cost thousands or you can get a cheaper one that if you just take pics here and there for $100-200. Sigma offers cheap decent quality lenses.

If your interested in spending more money go look up dslrs on ebay express you can find alot of decent deals.

TOOL 04-08-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fitcapo (Post 277706)
The way I look at it is you need to decide what you want. Either a point and shoot or dslr. A dslr is a world of difference because of the different lenses you can get for it. While a point and shoot can be really nice you can never expand on whats on it to begin with.

I personally would get a dslr that way you really never have to update your camera again for a long time rather just buy a new lens. The only draw back to that is lenses are not cheap and a good one can cost thousands or you can get a cheaper one that if you just take pics here and there for $100-200. Sigma offers cheap decent quality lenses.

If your interested in spending more money go look up dslrs on ebay express you can find alot of decent deals.

Good advice.
Im just wondering how close (quality wise) the camera i posted will be to a lower end (400-500$) DSLR. I would get a DSLR but i have so many hobbys and things i spend money on now, that i cant really get into something else that will drain my pockets. I do want something that will take a good quality photo for car shoots, thats mainly what ill be shooting is my Fit. My current cam gives me rather grainy shots, and even with editing they still look bad. I want something that will give clear shots.
This cam is 8.3MP, and all the reviews ive read are excellent.
Its definetly a step up from my current cam.

Tyler

Fitcapo 04-08-2008 04:49 PM

I wouldn't just go by mp. Mp are like computers. You buy something for the mp and two days later there is going to be a new one with more mp that is cheaper. Between 6-10 mp there really isn't that huge of a difference unless you actually plan on making prints that are bigger than 4x5 on the computer a 6 mp will be able to make a large enough picture that is excelent quality. I have never been able to post a picture straight from my camera onto the web without downsizing.

If it were up to me to spend your money I would not spend it yet. Hold onto it and save up and go dump a $1000 or so on a set up that will last you 20 or so years. it won't always be spectacular but it will be good to start off and hold a decent quality over time.

As far as his camera I honestly don't know anything about a cannon xti so I would definately see if you can get your hands on his and really try it out for awhile or somthing. Test drive it :p

Fitcapo 04-08-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TOOL (Post 277720)
Good advice.
Im just wondering how close (quality wise) the camera i posted will be to a lower end (400-500$) DSLR.

Well, that little camera would probably be just as good of quality if you had the same lens on a dslr. lenses are what make the difference with a dslr. A dslr body that costs $100 with a lens a top notch lens that costs $1000-$2000 dollars is as good as the some of the best cameras. It is really hard to compare a point and shoot to a dslr just because of lenses but if I had to I would say you can probably get a point shoot that takes pictures as good or better than a low end dslr with a packaged short lense that isn't a good quality ie... plastic instead of glass or lower quality than sigma.

solbrothers 04-08-2008 06:12 PM

no point and shoot camera will EVER touch the images from a DSLR camera. it isn't about the body, it's about the glass.

solbrothers 04-08-2008 06:14 PM

i have an xt. i'd reccomend it for a beginner. it's about the GLASS.

Raaaaaaaaaay. 04-08-2008 06:15 PM

I still say go for your original thought.
That lens isnt changeable on that camera you posted is it? Doesnt seem so...

Even if you did go SLR, the lens options are so wide you would probably stick with the original lens as I have. Not to mention the cost of most of them.

I see theres a lot of Canon freaks in this thread. I enjoy my Nikon. I dont have anything against other cameras, but since Ive always used Nikons Ill stick with them.
Like sell phones. Ive always had Motorolas.

solbrothers 04-08-2008 06:19 PM

yes. i rep canon because that's what my camera is. the other brands are good as well. it's just taht canon and nikon control most of teh market.

AppleMac*Fit 04-08-2008 07:58 PM

I love my Nikon - I have a D100.

I paid $1999 for it in 2003. *OUCH* :eek: I love the camera. Even though it's only 6.1 Megapixels - it works well enough. My wife and I eventually want to get another Nikon DSLR - and when we do it will be much cheaper and have probably twice the resolution.

Kelmar 04-08-2008 08:03 PM

Sorry, I can't read everything right now... but I'll try to next week when I get back from the wedding....

Check out dpreveiw.com for camera reviews though.

Get something with aperture priority and shutter priority and image stabilization.

Snap Fit 04-08-2008 08:31 PM

this seems like a tasty thread...I guess I will bite....*smiles*

I honestly truly believe its more important that you get a camera that you will want to use now or can use now.:)

Indeed the camera you linked to is a good camera, and if it makes things/ideas more accessable to you then its a great camera!
Make no mistakes about it though it should not be compared to a DSLR. And thats OK and even great if you end up using it for its specific benefits (and there are plenty)

-If you are comming from an SLR and are decently competent with it or you have exhausted the benefits of a digital point and shoot (and want or need more) then I would just suggest getting a lower priced DSLR or getting a older good/great used DSLR (very worthwhile for many)

-If you were just coming from a regular 35mm point and shoot or SLR that you just used in an Auto mode or a digital point and shoot (P&S) in the predescribed mode then it would probably benefit you to get a good digital P&S-like the Canon Powershot SX100 IS.

I think it can be beneficial to actually learn in an accelerated way on something initially beneficial, rather than with something that may be more complex and difficult initially but with huge potential in the slightly longer run.

Before I started doing photography as a part time proffesional these past few years my curve/progression went like this- (starting about 15 or so years ago)

1)35mm P&S and Polaroid (got interest and feet wet)

2)35mm SLR and some med and large format stuff (solid interest and working knowledge/concepts)

3)35mm SLR and digital P&S and some med and large format stuff(huge inspirational increase and exponential growth in competency)

4)DSLR's mostly and some film 35mm, 6x6 med, 4x5 and 8x10 large format stuff. (able to capture with more creativity what I imagine and or see as well as what others want)

It was only a few short years ago that I jumped into digital and that is where I gained the most by far! It was easily available, quick, versitile, and enjoyable!

In the end though it has a million times more to do with the person behind the lens and much, much, MUCH less to do about the gear. And remember if you are not comfortable using it then its not going to be as useful or enjoyable.

Now having said all that have you thought about a slightly more prosumer packed camera? Like the Canon S2, S3, S5 IS series, or Sony cybershot DSC H7 and similar, how about even the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ series?
They pack a lot of punch into an even more versatile package and can make the jump to an SLR even easier in the future.

This site that I am linking to here I have found to be very helpful (not only for myself but with sending students to) with a generous thoughtfull layout with very few of the drawbacks of the many review sites.
check it out you might like it-
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I dont really play "brand whore" but I grew up with Nikon and Canon and love them both. But I have never had any real problem with any other manufacturer. The gear I generally now use for work and art is this-
-Nikon D2x
-Nikon D1x (now stolen:()
-Nikon D100
-Nikon D100 IR
-switched out Canon 20D for more glass (great camera though:))

I have just about 15 cameras with lenses totaling somewhere in the mid 50's and one of the best combos was the Canon Powershot S2 IS, (also now stolen:( ), a solid camera for creativity, enjoyment, and versatility. I even had an assistant use it as a back up camera at a wedding with good results!!!:eek: :) yeah thats right you heard me:D

Good luck on whatever you should choose, (your initial thought is a good one though) and if you have any questions please ask away either here or in a PM
:)

whoops!!! thats a long post:o