Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Need help choosing a vehicle (kinda long)

Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Need help choosing a vehicle (kinda long)

So our own Fit is supposed to be picked up tomorrow after a long ordeal, but I'm considering a vehicle to build to use as advertising for my ex-gf/roomie's company. She works as E.V.P./director of credit for Turtlefur Group (those of you who ski or snowboard may know the company), and they recently launched a campaign called "F-UR" aimed at the 15-25 year old, X-Games sorta demographic. Richard, the owner, won't allow anyone over the age of 25 to wear the product in any of their tradeshows. The problem is, everyone who works there is over 25....lol.

So I've been considering building a show vehicle for them to take to their tradeshows and car shows to help with the advertising. What they're doing now is pretty lame, although I have to give him credit for creating a myspace page to get younger people interested. Thinking outside of the box, thousands of young folks attend HIN, NOPI, etc. and being that they're located near the Canadian border, we could get around to those shows as well.

So here's my question. I'm trying to figure out which vehicle to present to Richard. I've based it on price, fuel efficiency (for traveling), utility (for hauling product) and the "cool" factor. The B-segment would be perfect for I realize this is a Fit site, so biases aside, do you folks think the Fit would be the best vehicle to use in this kind of a campaign? I've looked at the Fit, Yaris sedan, Versa, Suzuki SX4 and Reno, Kia Spectra 5, Chevy Aveo and Scion xA and xB. The xA and xB are gone from production now, but are extremely popular

Here is the logo and the choice in vehicles. I'd probably want to choose black or gray. For the record, I'm really leaning towards the Fit :D

2007 Chevy Aveo sedan = $13,805.00 (includes optional power package, optional ABS and optional fog lights)

Toyota Yaris sedan = $14,620 (includes sport shifter knob accessory)

Nissan Versa = $15,415 (including optional ABS)

Suzuki SX4 = $15,594.00

Suzuki Reno = $14,594.00 (including optional ABS)

Kia Spectra 5 = $16,975 (including optional ABS *note: this vehicle comes with 16" wheels and a 138hp engine, which is why it's the most expensive)

Old 12-02-2006, 11:26 PM
honestly the "cool" factor is a big thing with promo cars...look at the Xb. there are TONS of promo Xb's around my area (So. Cal). of your selections, there is NOTHING that comes close.

the aveo and yaris are bland sedans with no pizazz.

i really dislike the versa, after looking at it and driving it, it has interior features that just disgust me.

the reno looks odd, but i don't know much about it...to me it's not unique enough.

which leaves the sx4 or spectra 5--these are the closest competitors, but still, i think your bets should be placed on the fit.

**i don't own a fit yet, but anyone on this forum will convince you the same as i have, i believe.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Retired Moderator
Personally, I would go with either the Fit, SX-4 or a Scion. The scions especially the xB have a lot of area for advertising and are different enough to catch the attention of passers by. The SX-4 is a good looking B-segment car that I think will get attention. If you really REALLY want to get some attention, wait for the smart Fortwo. The new one will be released in the US sometime in the near future. My old Fortwo got so many looks no matter where I went.

Just make sure you DO NOT go with the Aveo. Driven it a few times when I was working at a GM dealership, it is a complete POS!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies :). I've had a chance to drive most of them and I'm now leaning towards the SX4, Spectra5, Fit. I really tried to get into the Versa, but I'm really not a fan of its odd styling. Same as the Reno. I thought about the Aveo after posting and while it's the cheapest of all of them, it's probably the *cheapest* of all of them, too, if you catch my drift. While the entire vehicle is going to be modified, I really don't like domestic interiors or ergonomics, especially if it's anything like my roomie's 2002 Intrepid. Her pieces were falling off prematurely and they looked like they were attached with super glue the gaps were so huge.

I really wanted to like the Yaris but I wouldn't buy the liftback unless it was the Canadian version (5 door vs. our 3 door). I actually prefer the looks of the sedan, but I'm not in love with the center stack. It got annoying during my drive.

Unfortunately, while I've had a chance to drive the Fortwo in Quebec, it doesn't qualify for the utility part. Shame, because I had a ton of fun. I saw a video of one with a Hayabusa engine swap and it outran a Ferrari. lol

The SX4 is more appealing than the Spectra5, despite the Kia being really fun to toss around. The SX4 is the only one in the US with AWD and a manual transmission in this pricing area. That would help around here with the harsh winters, but the Fit would do just as well with snow tires, so that's really a wash. I think the Fit is going to be my choice, in black of course. Or maybe I'll just build em both :D haha....

Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned
In addition to my new Fit, we also own a '06 Scion XB. If the XB's were still in production, its target market and advertising and cargo space would make it ideal IMO. If I remember correctly, the concept car to replace the Scion XB is called the T2B (I may be wrong), but you can probably find photos on the Scion home page.

Depending upon when you need the new car, the XB replacement might be available. The concept car has an interesting top hat appearance, like a SciFi version of a '32 Ford Victoria touring sedan- wider at the top than at the bottom, no exterior door handles, passenger side has only one power sliding door like a mini-van for acces to front and rear seats, driver's side has suicide doors. The concept features that won't make it to production are the wrap-around ticker tape electronic dash display and rear window that is the display screen for the on-board DVD player.

Your friend's company logo on the side of something this radical in design would get a lot of attention, assuming that the concept car actually goes to production.
Manxman:eek:

Old 12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
In addition to my new Fit, we also own a '06 Scion XB. If the XB's were still in production, its target market and advertising and cargo space would make it ideal IMO. If I remember correctly, the concept car to replace the Scion XB is called the T2B (I may be wrong), but you can probably find photos on the Scion home page.

Depending upon when you need the new car, the XB replacement might be available. The concept car has an interesting top hat appearance, like a SciFi version of a '32 Ford Victoria touring sedan- wider at the top than at the bottom, no exterior door handles, passenger side has only one power sliding door like a mini-van for acces to front and rear seats, driver's side has suicide doors. The concept features that won't make it to production are the wrap-around ticker tape electronic dash display and rear window that is the display screen for the on-board DVD player.

Your friend's company logo on the side of something this radical in design would get a lot of attention, assuming that the concept car actually goes to production.
Manxman:eek:

I believe it's actually in production already as the second generation bB in Japan. It's essentially a giant MP3 player. lmao...:p

Old 12-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned
It looks like they changed their minds about the shape, power doors, etc. The "form follows function" attitude makes us like the looks of our XB, but the concept photos you posted are of a pretty ugly MP3 player.

Good luck with your project--
Dave

Old 12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I say go with the xb, i've had MY xb now since may of 2004 (production # 103 baby!) and i STILL get people asking me about it even to this day, not so much anymore as when it first came out, but it still gets looks and people still ask me if i like it, etc..

Regarding the spectra.
THREE WORDS..... "IT'S A KIA", trust me, kia=piece of crap taken from somebodys ass and fabricated into a car

If you want the 'cool' factor, and the unique factor, go with the XB or the SX4....everything else pretty much looks the same, just my 2 cents

Old 12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
dam i'd buy a bB any day instead of an xB lol

Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by tattedxb
I say go with the xb, i've had MY xb now since may of 2004 (production # 103 baby!) and i STILL get people asking me about it even to this day, not so much anymore as when it first came out, but it still gets looks and people still ask me if i like it, etc..

Regarding the spectra.
THREE WORDS..... "IT'S A KIA", trust me, kia=piece of crap taken from somebodys ass and fabricated into a car

If you want the 'cool' factor, and the unique factor, go with the XB or the SX4....everything else pretty much looks the same, just my 2 cents
For the record, the new Kia = the new Hyundai = newfound quality. You shouldn't base your assumptions on a vehicle on its passed history. Hyundai/Kia have squeaked under Honda in overall reliability and overall quality in recent years, above Volkswagen, Mazda, Nissan and domestic makes. I've driven the Spectra and while it wasn't as high quality as my 07 Si, it's higher than even the Cobalt SS/SC I drove when I was looking for my Si. Consumer Reports agrees with me....

Upon further review of everything, I've decided to go with the Fit for a number of reasons over everything else, including the xB. While I did eventually warm up to the xB, I've never liked it enough to consider it as a purchase, even to use as somebody's company car. Besides, it's hard to stand out among this kind of crowd with an xB. They're VERY popular. I haven't determined whether that's necessarily a good or bad thing, but I prefer to walk a different line.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by jbrisson
For the record, the new Kia = the new Hyundai = newfound quality. You shouldn't base your assumptions on a vehicle on its passed history. Hyundai/Kia have squeaked under Honda in overall reliability and overall quality in recent years, above Volkswagen, Mazda, Nissan and domestic makes. I've driven the Spectra and while it wasn't as high quality as my 07 Si, it's higher than even the Cobalt SS/SC I drove when I was looking for my Si. Consumer Reports agrees with me....

Upon further review of everything, I've decided to go with the Fit for a number of reasons over everything else, including the xB. While I did eventually warm up to the xB, I've never liked it enough to consider it as a purchase, even to use as somebody's company car. Besides, it's hard to stand out among this kind of crowd with an xB. They're VERY popular. I haven't determined whether that's necessarily a good or bad thing, but I prefer to walk a different line.
I drove a kia spectra (2001) for 2 years, pieces of the interior LITERALLY fell apart, so it's hard not to be biased towards those...i hope that's understandable, regardless..the fit will be a good choice too...just make sure you pimp that sucker out and leave it no-where near stock! Exterior AND interior if you want the "wow" factor...good luck.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I dunno. I like to keep em clean, but I dunno if this may be TOO clean. I thought about going with Mugen side skirts, but I couldn't find a decent pic to chop from. The graphic isn't as clean and it seems to blend into the paint scheme so maybe I'll do it in a black or reflective look, with yellow paint or something. Any suggestions?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's a two-tone. I HATE two-tone paint jobs, but it kinda lends itself to this vehicle. I also darkened the wheels, threw in the spoiler and added a yellow Honda badge for contrast.

Last edited by jbrisson; 12-05-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
I think for your target crowd.. an Element would be better but that maybe out of the price range or an Fj Crusier.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
I think for your target crowd.. an Element would be better but that maybe out of the price range or an Fj Crusier.
FJ Cruiser is out of the question, since this vehicle will be driven anywhere from Ontario to Atlanta for Nopi. I sure thought about one though. That black cherry color is amazingly gorgeous. Maybe I should pain the Fit that color? lol

The only Element I considered was the Element SC. To get away from the plastic cladding, I was looking at painting it, or picking up the EX model, but either way, both options were just slightly more than I think Richard wanted to spend. Trust me though, I would've picked up the Rootbeer SC two weeks ago if I could've....but I think I get more vehicle for the price with the Fit than the base model Element anyway. I think it starts at about the same the Fit sport after taxes.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
i love that color.
P.S id go a little more aggresive then those fits if your looking to grab attention.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
i love that color.
P.S id go a little more aggresive then those fits if your looking to grab attention.
I just talked to JB and we both agreed on the same thing. I just don't want it a) so flashy it causes the wrong kind of attention and b) ricer. :(

What's a guy to do? lol

Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
what a bonehead question. this is a honda fit website......what do you think(everybody will be biased to to fit)

thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbrisson
I just talked to JB and we both agreed on the same thing. I just don't want it a) so flashy it causes the wrong kind of attention and b) ricer. :(

What's a guy to do? lol
haha yeah that would be bad.

Simplest way to stand out. A nice stand out paintjob. perferably a color the car didnt come in from the factory ( im all about keeping things stock looking, but when it comes to shit like this it needs to stand out)

Edit: candy Apple red comes to mind

Last edited by Ricepuddin; 12-05-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by tershel
what a bonehead question. this is a honda fit website......what do you think(everybody will be biased to to fit)

thanks
What a bonehead response. I already have a Fit.....

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help choosing a vehicle (kinda long)