Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   DX, LX, or Sport??? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/10712-dx-lx-sport.html)

phylae 01-01-2007 07:50 PM

DX, LX, or Sport???

I am looking at getting a new car, and I am pretty sure that the Fit is what I need. I really like the storage space and fuel economy, plus the Fit seems to be first place with all sorts of awards/comparisons.

What I can't decide is which model to get. I live in Canada so my choices are:

DX - $18,500 CAD
LX - $21,500 CAD
Sport - $23,500 CAD

(All prices are 'out-the-door' with taxes and everything.)

The LX gives me:
  • More choices in color (DX is only Red, Blue, and Light Silver)
  • 4 speakers instead of 2
  • Air Conditioning
  • Cruise Control
  • Power locks/mirrors
The Sport gives me:
  • Keyless entry/Alarm system
  • 6 Speakers instead of 4 (LX) or 2 (DX)
  • 200 Watts mp3 stereo
  • Body Kit
  • A few other things (I'm sure you guys are familiar with what the Sport model adds)
I know this question has been asked before, but I was hoping that a few more of the Canadian's on this board would post their opinions. $5000 is a big jump from DX to Sport.

The things I care about are:
  • A/C
  • mp3 stereo
  • higher wattage stereo (but 200 may not be enough)
  • more speakers (I'm not sure 4 is enough)
  • Larger wheel base in the sport (This means better handling right? that's important to me)
  • Alarm System/Keyless entry
Which model do you think I should get? I can afford any of them, but it is always nice to save money. If you had to rebuy your Fit, what would you do differently?

I guess one of my other questions is, how nice is it to have all the extra features of the LX/Sport models? I have never driven a car with all those features for an extended period of time. (I drive an '81 Ford now.) Is it worth the extra $3000-5000?

Last question, since I am only interested in a few of the extra features, should I buy the DX or LX and then just install after-market stuff? I know electronics, but I don't know much about car electronics. Will I need to get everything installed for me? Or will I be able to install some myself? (I am willing to learn.) $5000 can buy a pretty nice stereo, so this is something to consider.

I have been driving myself crazy for the past week trying to decide which trim to get (DX, LX, or Sport). I would really appreciate any/all feedback you can provide.

Thank you all VERY much.

arsonall 01-01-2007 11:34 PM

do you use an mp3 player?
sport model has pre-configured aux jack, other models DO NOT have this function. you'll have to make/buy something to use the player--FM or otherwise.

on the sport the 2 extra speakers are tweeters, don't think you've gained 2 more full range speakers.

until an accessible (few companies are making them, but not available yet) center console, the stereo isn't easily upgradable--but once it is (~$150) you can put in any stereo you want, but they'd have a similar output (50Wx4).

if you're upgrading the speakers, a shop can easily install tweeters if they weren't there before.

an aftermarket security system will be just fine (probably better than Hondas)

from what sounds important to you, LX sounds the way to go, but i live in US, so i have sport or base, i'd pick sport.

yes, if you've got the extra 5k (i.e. you're not financing that money) go out and get everything that is missing from the sport model and you'll get a personalized fit, minus the Honda body kit, but you can get other parts that'll look different.

Paulo107 01-01-2007 11:40 PM

sport looks like your choice...:cool:

kps 01-02-2007 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by arsonall (Post 111547)
do you use an mp3 player?
sport model has pre-configured aux jack, other models DO NOT have this function.

In Canada, all Fits come with an AUX jack, and milk comes in bags.

j5ive 01-02-2007 01:08 AM

If you want A/C, then you at least have to go to the LX. So DX is out. Everything else though you care about on the Sport can be added to the LX either OEM accessories or aftermarket. The only thing you can not add from the Sport is cruise control. Which is difficult to add aftermarket since the car is drive-by-wire, and the cruise indicator light in the dash won't be there in the LX.

But realistically, to get Cruise Control, 15" alloy wheels, Fog lights, leather wrapped steering wheel, keyless entry and alarm, plus better stereo that plays MP3s by itself without you having to plug in a player, plus a factory aero package for $2000CAD more, it's really not bad of a deal.

For me, I choose the LX because I MUST have power mirrors (one vehicle family, wife and I share a car). A/C was a bonus for me as well, maybe not as much for my wife. Other than that, I didn't see any need to go higher. However, my purchase was dictated by what car I can get immediately. So if a Sport was the earliest car I could get into, I might have considered it.

tershel 01-02-2007 01:34 AM

If i had to do it all over again........i would have bought the DX. i was at Surrey honda last week and the only difference between my LX and a DX is power doorlocks and A/C.
i bought mine at MSRP $19,605+100 A/C tax+PST/GST.
i kept the MSRP sticker on the window as well( i always do this whenever i buy a new car)it helps a lot when its time to sell the car.

crimsona 01-02-2007 03:08 AM

If the LX had cruise last year (but now it does come standard on the LX trim, probably due to the demand)... also, nobody was budging off MSRP when it was released, so the Sport Auto cost me $25k CAD flat in BC. Didn't realize dealers were selling it for so low (unless that 23.5k is a manual)

But if I had to do it again, I would get a LX or Versa SL with Technology Package.

As for the differences in the trims, the higher wattage in the Sport (and LX over the DX) is merely the addition of the extra speakers. There doesn't seem to be any differences in the unit itself.

For aftermarket stereos, it's going to need the adapter since the Fit's stereo is non-standard size. Don't know where to get one, maybe AJ Racing?

phylae 01-02-2007 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 111579)
(unless that 23.5k is a manual)

Yes it is a manual. All the prices are for manual. I much prefer the control of a manual transmission, so the only way I'd consider an automatic was in the sport model with the padel shifters. Even then, from what I've heard so far, I doubt I'd find it as satisfying as a stick shift. I guess I'll see during the test drive.

Thanks,

Halcyon 01-05-2007 11:36 PM

milk only comes in bags in ontario. We have cartons in manitoba. anyways, back on topic...I went with sport because of its full options and i liked the orange colour. I find the sport looks more aggressive compared to a DX/LX which i saw tonight. It just looked sheepish compared to the sport. I think its just the spoiler lol anyways, with any choice i think you will enjoy it.

GoFits 01-11-2007 01:31 AM

SPORT! It's so worth it.

Sera 02-04-2007 04:22 AM

I think milk in Vancouver comes in cartons or jugs at a store. I got an automatic DX because I couldn't afford any of the other models. I was also limited as to the actual availability of cars (they have to be ordered and then it takes 2 months) so I took what I could get. From what you listed in your "what you care about" list, perhaps you should go for the Sport because a car afficionado friend of mine told me that was what I should have got if I could afford it (or the very least, an LX).

phylae 02-04-2007 03:59 PM

The rest of the story...

Well, I had pretty much decided that I wanted the sport model, but then I thought, "If I'm spending this much anyways, I might as well look at the compact cars" (instead of just the sub-compact cars).

So I looked at the Toyota Matrix and the Mazda 3. I was blown away by the value of the Mazda 3. I ended up getting the Mazda 3 Sport GT. It was a lot more expensive, but in my case it was TOTALLY worth it. It has tons of room, a far more powerful engine, and all those little extras that make driving so much more enjoyable.

Thank you everyone for your comments!!!

acc 02-09-2007 09:01 AM

Just bought one

If you need AC + locks, get the LX. You'll be paying $2K more for the power locks and AC however.

It wasn't worth it for me, because a cheap econobox from 14,900 started to creap over $20K out the door :O

Went with a DX + Auto. If the summer hurts, I'll add in the a/c + alarm at a later time.

mwqa 03-23-2007 12:32 PM

Is keyless entry available as an accessory on the Canadian DX model? :confused:

The specs have it, but the 'build it' doesn't.

DangerMoose 03-23-2007 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by phylae (Post 117656)
Well, I had pretty much decided that I wanted the sport model, but then I thought, "If I'm spending this much anyways, I might as well look at the compact cars" (instead of just the sub-compact cars).

So I looked at the Toyota Matrix and the Mazda 3. I was blown away by the value of the Mazda 3. I ended up getting the Mazda 3 Sport GT. It was a lot more expensive, but in my case it was TOTALLY worth it. It has tons of room, a far more powerful engine, and all those little extras that make driving so much more enjoyable.

Thank you everyone for your comments!!!

Funny, I did just the opposite.

I felt like I didn't want to spend the extra for the Mazda3 when what I really want is an Audi A3.

acc 03-23-2007 02:17 PM

No that's not an option to have keyless on the Canadian DX model.

I haven't personally ripped open the door panels to check if there is actually a popper for the locks, but it's very unlikely.

We got a DX Auto because the Fit was purchased as a commuter however I would love to have a DX manual as a race car (cause it's lighter). ;)

Originally Posted by mwqa (Post 127527)
Is keyless entry available as an accessory on the Canadian DX model? :confused:

The specs have it, but the 'build it' doesn't.

mwqa 03-23-2007 03:01 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

Hmm ... anyone know if the keyless entry sold by at College Hills Honda would work in the DX?

Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007 Honda Fit Accessories Shipped at Discount Prices

I like the keyless entry on the Matrix I have. Just don't like the car much. :D

acc 03-23-2007 03:49 PM

best thing is mwqa is contact a reliable person in the parts dept and see if the dx model comes speced for power windows.

one guy i asked over the phone said no, they cannot be added because the harness had not been run. but as I had mentioned in my previous post, i don't know for sure unless you open the door panel to find out.

mwqa 03-23-2007 04:33 PM

Do you find anything annoying about the DX, specifically?

For example, I test drove the LX a while back and wondered how to open the hatch in the DX without having to use the car's keys to do it. (The LX has the door locks.) I think I would find it annoying if I was dropping someone off and had to turn off the engine to open it. :confused:

kps 03-23-2007 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mwqa (Post 127558)
Hmm ... anyone know if the keyless entry sold by at College Hills Honda would work in the DX?

No, it won't. The Honda keyless entry just plugs into the wiring for the power door locks.