Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Upgrading from Civic hatch to a new Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Upgrading from Civic hatch to a new Fit?

Hello all, I'm impatiently waiting on my fit (its due in March-April). I have a 1996 civic hatch and its served me well. Aside from a few goofy fit and finish things, the hatch has been a good car. I have about 130K and it seems to have alot of life left in it once the new owner gets a few things repaired.

My question is: Has anyone else gone from a Civic hatch to the Fit? Just wondering what I'll be gaining. I never had power windows, power locks, cd player, cruise or any of the finer things in a modern car. My Civic has a longer wheelbase and lots of rear leg room but I think the height of the Fit will be alot better for cargo. My civic has a 106hp 1.6 liter engine with automatic transmission. Its pretty peppy as long as the AC isn't on. Handling in the Fit will be a buttload better compared to my 13" wheels on my civic. I can't wait till it gets here!!

Thanks for listening!

Ray

Last edited by Gravy!; 01-02-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
My bro currently owns a 97 hatch. The fit is way faster despite its similar hp rating, but I think it's more from the gearing than iVTEC. I never compared mileages, but I think fit might be lower b/c it's heavier and full of features.

It's WAY more spacious. If my bro needs people, he prefers to drive my fit. The fit can have five people, when the civic could only have four. If you drove a manual, the stick shift is nicer to shift. Powerstreering makes steering light on the fit. The Fit I think is the same length.

The engine compartment of the fit is smaller. It achieves a shorter nose length by stacking components on top of each others, than spread out like the civic.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:44 AM
hav u try to turbo charge ur civic?

Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 AM
My wife has a 96 Civic hatchback DX, so sounds a lot like yours - no power windows, door locks or even tape deck, let alone CD player.

The Fit is almost a foot shorter overall, but has more interior space. The driving position is better in the Civic, but not bad in the Fit. I haven't had the Fit long enough to test it on all my favorite twisting roads, but it seems to handle more precisely than the Civic. The biggest difference is having four doors instead of two, and the much larger carrying capacity.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah I didn't like the driving position in the Fit as much as my Civic but I guess moving the gas tank up front sits the driver in a different position (perhaps?).

One thing I wish they'd change is the carpeting in the back cargo area. I don't know why they couldn't make it like the element or the Matrix. Who needs carpet in the back anyway? Even if I get the the cargo mat, I'll still have to deal with carpet on the back of the seats when I fold them down.

Oh well guess that's a small price to pay for such a cool car. I've waited for a couple of years for this car to come out. I first saw it in Portugal (Jazz) over there and hoped it would make it over here sometime.

BTW, hit a couple of dealers after hours and on the holidays. Every one I went actually had a fit or two on the lot. Of course a couple were sold in the back but a couple of lots each had one fit in the front. Perhaps they ordered them to show for the new year. I bet they are already sold by now.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
i went from a 92 honda civic hatch (automatic) w/ the stock d15 non-vtec engine. i had that car for 3 years before i decided 2 boost it. i was then pushing around 140 hp (to the wheels) tuned on the stock auto tranny. then i sold the vehicle and bought the fit and i absolutely love it. i also have a auto fit w/ paddle shifters. u will really enjoy it trust me.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 AM
I used to own a 00 DX hatch, but it got totaled, then I bought the Fit Base.

The Fit beats the EK in cargo space and passenger room/comfort.

The EK can take curves faster than the Fit (it might be because I had 15x6.5 wheels with UHP tires)

Although I'm not sure, I would say that the mileage is about the same.

Even though I still miss my EK, the Fit is better in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
i know how you feel about the extras with the new car. I still have my 92 gs-r, but it has no power steering, no A/C, no radio(got stolen) but atleast the heater works.

driving the fit is different, but the funny thing is that it can handle it. i drive my fit like it's my gs-r and the fit moves. but like you said, other than the a/c and power steering, the fit is better than the civic, and if the fit had as much power as my gs-r, i would never need to drive another car.:D but it's nice to have a car that (knock on wood) won't get stolen, i dont get revved on by idiots and the cops leave me alone.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 AM
pNz
5 Year Member
i went from a 00 civic hatch dx to 07 fit. handling on stock fit was better then my 00 civic with springs. it feels faster. is more fun to drive. mpg is about the same imo. i dont regret it one bit. in fact recommend it.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by Papichat
I used to own a 00 DX hatch, but it got totaled, then I bought the Fit Base.

The Fit beats the EK in cargo space and passenger room/comfort.

The EK can take curves faster than the Fit (it might be because I had 15x6.5 wheels with UHP tires)

Although I'm not sure, I would say that the mileage is about the same.

Even though I still miss my EK, the Fit is better in my opinion.
The fit is taller. I think this might play a huge part. I can't even see the roof of the fit, but i can on the EK.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
i had a 92 Civic Si with 150k miles (and no wheel-well rust to boot!)... it got stolen right in front of my house... i DO love my fit very much... but... i would dump it in a heart beat if i could ever get my si back.

the 92-95 civics IMHO are some of the best cars in HISTORY. period.

i see thousands of cars a week (i am a buyer for a dealer) and have yet to find anything that compares.