Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Yaris vs. Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I actually like the look of the Fit more than the Yaris. Of course the car being somewhat rare has something to do with that. But it's like when I had my Prelude, it wasn't a common car at all...so I used to have people ask me what it was all the time.
I'm starting to get the same thing with the Fit now.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I actually like the look of the Fit more than the Yaris. Of course the car being somewhat rare has something to do with that. But it's like when I had my Prelude, it wasn't a common car at all...so I used to have people ask me what it was all the time.
I'm starting to get the same thing with the Fit now.
obviously styling is of personal preference, and in saying the fit looks like an oddysey, mini-vans aren't necessarily unnappealing.
i'm sure honda will really push the envelope when the fit/jazz gets redesigned, they've done such a great job with the new(ish) civic and a car which is for the most part targetting young people, they will surely come up with an interesting design.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by peeker
couple thousand here in canada, although the fit would have + side airbags, 60/40 seats compared to the yaris hatch.
That's quite a bit - is that difference with MP3 cd player/AUX input/power windows/cruise control/ABS? If so, then it is significant.

Side airbags are a big deal though, especially in a small car. Crash test ratings for the Yaris go from Poor (worst rating) to Good (best rating) with the addition of airbags.

60/40 seats aren't as big of a deal to me, as long as they do actually fold down (does it on the Yaris w/o 60/40 seats??). A hatch without fold down seats defeats the whole point of a hatchback, in my view....

Old 03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
That's quite a bit - is that difference with MP3 cd player/AUX input/power windows/cruise control/ABS? If so, then it is significant.

Side airbags are a big deal though, especially in a small car. Crash test ratings for the Yaris go from Poor (worst rating) to Good (best rating) with the addition of airbags.

60/40 seats aren't as big of a deal to me, as long as they do actually fold down (does it on the Yaris w/o 60/40 seats??). A hatch without fold down seats defeats the whole point of a hatchback, in my view....
the yaris and fit that i had priced were similarly equipped, except the fit had +side airbags, 60/40 split seats (the yaris full bench does fold down), not sure if the fit had cruise but the yaris did not,the difference was just shy of $2500 cad.

i agree side airbags should be standard, toyota does not offer the hatch with side airbags in canada, and i think it is a $600 option in the u.s..
why they don't offer it as an option is beyond me.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, the Yaris airbag option is around $600. Really should be std.

When I went shopping, I compared the Fit Sport (which has all the stuff I mentioned) and tried to get as close as I could in a Yaris. I was looking for as loaded as you can get in an econobox, and the Sport had it all ; the only thing I was paying for that I didn't really care about much was the Sport's extra body cladding.

By the time I was done loading up the Yaris to match, the difference in price was so small it wasn't even an issue. I drove both and liked the Fit a lot more. I guess the choice is harder given the price differences/options in Canada.

Still, I won't buy any car if I can't get both ABS and side airbags. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've been T-boned before.......

Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
couple thousand here in canada, although the fit would have + side airbags, 60/40 seats compared to the yaris hatch.
In my experience, a comparably equipped yaris HB would've cost me almost 1000 bucks more than my Fit Sport thanks to Toyota's no haggle policy here in Quebec.... and i like the Fit's styling much MUCH better.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
In my experience, a comparably equipped yaris HB would've cost me almost 1000 bucks more than my Fit Sport thanks to Toyota's no haggle policy here in Quebec.... and i like the Fit's styling much MUCH better.
really? in ontario it is honda that has the no haggle pricing.

what did you pay after taxes for your sport model (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:53 PM
really? in ontario it is honda that has the no haggle pricing.

what did you pay after taxes for your sport model (if you don't mind me asking)?

I visited 3 Toyota dealerships and all gave me the same quote. No one would budge due to the "access toyota" program they've got going on in some provinces (ontario excluded):

Yaris HB 5dr RS model AT (most similar to fit sport):
26418 OTD:
includes B Package (AC, power windows, keyless entry) cruise control (i really need this as i am frequently back and forth between montreal & toronto) and 5 yr/120000 km warranty, hood deflector, wheel nuts. I didn't even consider tinting with the dealership, extra $475. No freebies whatsoever... everything at msrp, i couldn't believe it! At this price, i started seriously looking at the matrix, then came across the Fit.

My Honda Fit sport AT:
I paid 24627 OTD (taxes, options, everything)
options include hood deflector, tinting, locking wheel nuts and 5 yr/120000 km extended warranty. I also got free rustproofing with them once/year for 8 years. Was the best deal i found anywhere.
I'm sure a yaris could've been alot cheaper if i forewent some options but i didn't want to have regrets later.

by the way, I'm really surprised about the honda no haggle system there. Apparently this is illegal in canada from what i was reading about the toyota program.

Last edited by mmm...; 03-17-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
you know i was looking in getting the Yaris, but after learning about the Fit (thanks DAD!!!) i was sold. i test drove a sedan and hatch...that middle gauge does not do it for me...believe me if the hatch came in 4dr with better gauges
(infront of you) and a sport model then i would be undecided...honda was smarter than toyota. I think toyota will fix there mistake and come out with a yaris hatch that kicks ass!!! Honda keep your eyes open since you threw the first punch:eek:

Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
When I was looking around for a new car, I found the Fit via Consumer Reports (my old gig publishes it). I had been looking at the XA and read about the Yaris. Nothing about it really impressed me. So I test drove the Fit and then the XA, I have a Fit now, so thats how that went down. I read recently that Toyota is replacing the XA with the Yaris. So now it's replacing two cars? I have not driven a Yaris, but based on my experience driving the XA (nice car, just not for me), Toyota might want to focus a little more. The XA felt a bit on the cheap side and from what I have read, the Yaris is not far off.

-C-

Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Fit Vs. Yaris (talk me out of it guys)

hey guys im new to this site but have been thinking v seriously about purchasing a honda fit. ive been doing lots of homework and am liking what ive found now lemme get to the point ive been reading about fit sport vs. yaris hatch. the yaris has some good stuff going for it a lot is similar tho from what i can see the yaris has a tad quicker quarter mile time and slightly better gas milage other than that its a few hundred pounds lighter so im wondering (and hoping you guys can convince me to get a fit) what makes the fit a better car lol. also the yaris seems to be cheaper! pleaseee guys lemme know whats up and convince me of the best option...
tony
p.s. not trying to stir the pot or anything just really enjoying the forums and wanting to know what the best decision really is

Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Test driving both was a big decider for me. I highly recommend driving both before making any final choices.

The Fit just felt better on the test drive. Not sure if I can put it in clear words... There is just something about a test drive that seems to speak more than the research I do (and I did a lot of research on the Fit).

Also,
The yaris has, in a word, crappy interior. Everything just seemed cheap, whereas the Fits interior looked better quality.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
You don't even have to drive it. When I was shopping, I just sat in a Yaris.

There's a reason why it's so cheap.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
clickkkk this

Old 04-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Yaris wins:

Slightly better gas milage.

Price, if you only get the stripped model, which few people buy.
Availability (easier to get)

Yaris vs Fit Tie:
Acceleration - I've read different winners in different mags - I'd call this a tie.

Reliability - Toyotas don't break either.

Safety, IF you shell out the extra $$ for ABS and side airbags on the Yaris that come standard on the Fit (but see Price above)

Fit wins:
Handling and Fun to Drive - no contest - not even remotely close.

Passenger Room - Rear seat of a Yaris is cramped - no problem in the Fit.

Interior: Fit is much, much nicer, and you don't have to turn your head to look at the gauges.

Utility - no contest. Fit is all over the Yaris here. The Magic seats are.

Price/Bang for Buck - A loaded Yaris is no better equipped than a Fit Sport, and the price difference is only a few hundred $$ (can't remember which is actually cheaper), but I'd only even consider the loaded Yaris if it were 3k less than the Fit. A Yaris looks like a nice care next to an Aveo, but not the Fit.......

Old 04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
The Yaris seems cheaper because it IS!!! I drove one as a rental because I was also thinking about possibly getting a yaris. I hated that car... terrible handling it was ALL over the road... unconfortable to drive... awful sound system and the control knobs looked like they were made my fisher price! I am getting my new FIT sport tomorrow... and trust me... its gonna be worth it. So now you know that you also want a FIT... hope it helped

Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
A yaris equally equipped as a fit sport is a few hundred more than the Fit. I sat in the Yaris and it is CRAMPED. The yaris is pretty nice exterior wise (S model) other than that i dont like it.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:25 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
icic

hey thanks a lot guys for the words im gunna deffinatly at least go sit in a yaris and see how it feels but this is helping the decision a little bit i would be getting a yaris hatch and i forgot about the opions i remember hearing you can pick up a yaris hatch for around 12k but now that i think of i i was talking to someone a few months back and they said that they got one but it ended up being about 16 when they added power stuff and saftey stuff wich the fit already has so deffinatly ill take that into consideration i appreciate all your input keep it commin if you wanna convince me more lol but i guess ill never really know till i truck it down to toyota of huntington beach and have some dude try to sell me the yaris... well see how it works..i was looking at xbs too but now they suck the new one has horrid gas milage (its a tc engine) and i wouldnt even consder it a sub compact anymore and the new xd looks like a poop.....i think scion made some huge mistakes but we will see....

tony
ps when the hell is the fit meet gunna be at rallys i want some burgers man lets get this biatch goin lol

Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
ps when the hell is the fit meet gunna be at rallys i want some burgers man lets get this biatch goin lol
I havent had Rallys in about 10 years! I used to go all the time when I lived in San Diego, now the closest one to me is in the OC. We have the next meet setup for Sonic Burgers in Anaheim I think. Check the socal section.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Go for the Fit the Yaris being a Sedan just doesn't look as good as the Fit.

Quick Reply: Yaris vs. Fit