Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Fit handling (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/15756-fit-handling.html)

wademunkey 07-25-2007 09:24 PM

Fit handling

I see looking through the threads that alot of people think the fit handles awesomely, I have a 1991 Miata as a project car,( by the way it is on stock 16yr old suspension and toyo proxes TPT's) and I have not done any scientific testing, but It seems that it handles better than the fit. I am not criticizing anybody, just wanting to know what you all are changing from? Mainly why people think this car handles so good? It does handle well and all, but it aint built as a handling machine or nothing. Just wondering as seeing all of these messages.
Once again, I am just wondering not criticizing
Andrew

hbdx 07-25-2007 10:21 PM

when you slam a set miata bbs on a fit you will know why

wademunkey 07-25-2007 10:30 PM

first hings first, I aint got bbs. got stock miata alloys (daisy's). I told yall that I was not bashing on anyone. I was jsut wonderign what everyone's background was. Please don't take offence, or if You do, please don''t try to take it out on me.

Cat 07-25-2007 11:27 PM

I've been driving since 1978 and have owned a variety of vehicles - Fords, Chevy strictly. I love cars! My old boss was a gearhead and owned a Jag and a Austin Healey. His Jag was a total restore a 1951 - actually used in races in the 50 and early 60's. He taught me a lot about cars, engines and basic motoring. I just know that when I got into the Fit - I could feel that the car performed great on the road. You can throw it into a curve and it hangs tight on the road - steering is the best I've ever driven just gives you a positive experience behind the wheel. I test drove the Versa, Colbolt, Corolla, Civic SI, Focus and a Yaris was planning to test the Scion XA but then heard they were discontinuing them and decided not to. I guess because I love cars and just know what I liked driving and what I did not like to drive - was the reason I went with the Fit - I am happy with the choice I made and just loving driving this car! When people stop you to ask what the car is all about it is like owning something that is rare - I've never had a guy stop his truck to walk over and tell me he loved my car! Plus as apparent with all the Fit Freak members - you could not ask for a better group of people to hang it with and that is what owning the Fit is all about! :cool:

Cat :x

doctordoom 07-26-2007 02:16 AM

i think the fit's handling isn't all that great to you, because you have a miata. and a miata's handling is beyond excellent. i've never driven a miata, but i hear from what seems like everyone, that the miata's handling is great. and they're autocross dominators, right?

edit: no offense taken

Bennet Pullen 07-26-2007 02:20 AM

It does not surprise me that the Fit is not as good of a handler as your Miata, but the Miata is regarded by many as being one of the best handling cars ever, not to mention it is rear drive vs. the fit's front drive.

However as far as front drive, cars goes, the Fit is pretty darn good. In the handling department the Fit will put many, many cars to shame, especially other cars in it's price bracket. The Fit also just feels very good while driving, even if it does not have the most grip. The steering feels good, light but still with a good amount of feedback, and the car rotates easily. In dry conditions the understerr isn't too bad, and you can get the back end to come around if you coax it. Overall the Fit is a nice handling package, but it's not a Miata (and never will be just because of the MUCH higher center of gravity and 400 pounds of additional curb weight over the first gen Miata).

If you want all out handling than stick with your Miata, or get something like an s2000 or a Lotus Elise. If you want the best handling in a front driver than get a MINI, but if you want a car with practicality and great handling it doesn't get much better (or cheaper) than the Fit.

unFITone 07-26-2007 02:29 AM

I think the Fit handles great for what it is. The power is sufficient for the car and the steering input is quick and responsive.

My previous car to this was a 91 240SX Fastback
Tein Coilovers, SR Swap, Tanabe Front under brace, Cusco front and rear strut bars.
The 240 handled way better obviously, but for a FF car the Fit is excellent imo.

User Name 07-26-2007 03:06 AM

Totally different cars......My S2000 handled better than the Fit also. I believe people are talking about it's direct competitors.

wademunkey 07-26-2007 06:59 AM

I realize that they are different animals, just thought I might get other people's views. Thanks for the non flaming responses.
Andrew

User Name 07-26-2007 07:32 AM

No problem....just watch it if you post something like this on Honda-Tech. The flame war would ensue.....

Gil554 07-26-2007 02:34 PM

Same thoughts that others have touched on. The Fits handles very well for what it is. Much of "handling" referred to on the this forum is in terms of street use. The Fit has a wonderful shifter, clutch engagement, good driver feedback and a quick steering ratio. All adding up to a great handling street car in street form.

Having driven Miatas and my Fit at autox events at stock levels, the Fit does not and will not handle as well as a miata. When compared to a 1.6L miata left stock, the differences are not that pronounced. However, the miata is a wonderful platform and a great place to throw competition parts and money at! Once built up, even marginally, the Miata handily out does the Fit. Then again, the Fit not really supposed to out maneuver a Miata, but compared to a other b-segment cars, the Fit is masterful.

Shadow_S2K 07-26-2007 03:38 PM

The problem with the FIT and handling is the seating position. Sitting so damn high doesn't inspire much confidence and it actually gives you the illusion of sitting in a SUV or a van, in which would lead one to believe that the car cannot and will not handle well. However the FIT does handle marginal well, and once you get use to the seating position more confidence can be had while turning.

EXWRX 07-26-2007 04:47 PM

The Fit's limits are only moderately high, but for a tall wagon/microvan, it is incredibly nimble. It doesn't compare to the go-kart like feel of a Miata, but due to it's narrow width and fairly aggresive suspension it can go thru the slalom very quickly. :cool: