Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2010 Ford Transit Connect: Vannilicious!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
2010 Ford Transit Connect: Vannilicious!

I've driven by the Ford dealership locally, both on my way to the my local Honda dealer and over to Target Garden Center. They had these odd little vans, that I really like. Liked more and more every time I saw them. Some sort of mystery mini cargo van.

I finally decided to look it up and it wasn't on the Ford regular site, and couldn't find it on the Serramonte Ford site. But I kept looking, and it's this new "working van" called the Ford Transit Connect.

The ones I'd seen were the bare bones cargo vans. Seats in the front, nothing in the back. But I thought, I bet you could do something with that. Obviously Ford did too.

Here's a review of the little one from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...d-transit.html

Photos only here:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...sit_index.html

Being sold within 10 days of hitting the lot. That's pretty darn good.

The mileage isn't spectacular (compared to our Fit) for the gas version, 22/25/23, but it does run on regular and it has a hefty payload of 1,600 lbs. But it's SMALL. NY Times also reported: "On a highway drive from Bethlehem to New York City, a bit more than 300 miles, the lightly loaded Transit Connect got almost 28 m.p.g."

Consumer Reports is quite pleased with the mpg, saying it's almost double that of the usual full-size work van:

"Meanwhile, we like the idea of the Transit Connect as a more efficient choice for small business owners and contractors than full-sized vans. The four-cylinder Transit Connect is somewhat smaller inside, but it is almost 50 percent more efficient."
Source:
2010 Ford Transit Connect fuel economy: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

Fully loaded it will get less, just like our Fits will get less if they are packed. But this little van is, in my opinion, "The Fit of the Van world".

Just to make sure, I headed over to the official Ford Transit Connect area, after I FOUND that area:
Ford Transit Connect Commercial Fleet Van | Official Site of the Ford Transit Connect | FordVehicles.com

Yes, it can come with seating for five. It's got this funky overhead storage area with net, above the drive. Could have a library up there. LOL! Yes, many goodies are available, like nav and audio input jack and a/c, just like car. The driver's seat adjust six ways.

Tons of potential cargo management configurations.

Electric version promised for next year, and here's a few comments from Edmunds:
"Ford to Launch Electric Cargo Van in U.S. Next Year, With Electric Car in 2011" Green Car Advisor

Let's not forget enthusiasts...the X-press:

What would result from the unlikely “marriage” of a low-roof, highly practical Ford Transit Connect van with the power unit and brakes from Ford’s legendary high-performance Focus RS? The answer is the 'vantastic' Transit Connect X-Press - the fastest and most dramatic version of Ford’s tough and highly versatile small commercial to hit the tarmac. Lower (by up to 70 mm), meaner (with 18-inch OZ alloys) and emitting an exhaust note more akin to that of Ford’s Focus RS WRC, X-Press is an undeniably special Transit Connect. Even if you fail to spot the integral, “race-spec” roll cage fitted inside this one-off vehicle, it would be almost impossible to ignore the pearlescent white paint job set off with tri-colour X-Press graphics.

...We now have a unique commercial vehicle that performs like no other. If pushed, it is capable of a 0-60mph time in less than 7 seconds and a 130mph top speed. As you might expect from a Ford, it handles, steers and stops like a sports car.

Source:
Ford Transit Connect X-Press revealed - AutoMotoPortal.com

It's another vehicle that has been outside the States for awhile (like the Fit), and I love this tan (Carmella?) color and interior, article:
http://digiads.com.au/car-news/lates..._20060429.html

Photos only:
Ford Transit Connect : Latest FORD 2007 2006 2005 Motoring Car News | Ford Transit Connect Car Specs Wallpapers

Blue, broad white stripes, and yes, a wing...:
New Ford Transit Connect Pays Homage To Rally Success - UK Van & Van Hire News

And the ultimate, the Ford Transit Connect Family One Concept article and photos:
Ford Transit Connect Family One Concept

Just the photo gallery:
Ford Transit Connect Family One Concept

If it turns out you DO need something larger than a Fit, or something that can haul/carry a lot more, but you don't want to sacrifice all of the enjoyment that comes from a car that can do a little bit of everything, check out the Ford Transit Connect.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 10-04-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Added in a missing link for the article on the tan Ford
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
I did find the Transit Connect at Serramonte, they were hiding it in the commercial vehicle section. Grrr.
Commercial Fleet Inventory - Serramonte Ford - The Largest Ford Dealer on the Peninsula

Yeah, I know it can be a commercial vehicle. But it has more uses!!! I guess I'm chomping at the bit. I'd like them to get more of the family/passenger-friendly styles and color options soon.

And I can see another commercial use for it, and that being as a taxi. The sliding side doors are easy for passengers. And the back cargo area is much easier for loading/unloading luggage, parcels, groceries than a deep trunk is. Plus the options to flip the seat(s) up for more space if someone wanted to hire a cab for picking up furniture.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Fit v. Transit Connect (inches)

Wheelbase:
98.4 v. 114.6

Width:
66.7 v. 70.7

Length:
161.6 v. 180.7

Height:
60.0 v. 79.3

Using numbers from the US Honda Fit page and:
Road Test: 2010 Ford Transit Connect

Also from the same story:

The in-dash Works Solution computer includes a navigation system that is ideal for everyday use and can also monitor business applications when paired with the Tool Link RFID tool, cargo and inventory solutions system. Bulkheads, racks and other useful interior commercial applications needs are available and were fitted to our test machine.

...To get to the engine compartment, one must use the key to access a little opening on the front nameplate. Once inside, everything is easily accessible. To get to the rear and side doors, just double-click the remote control. It's all very straightforward and reeks of ease of operation.

Oooh, locking engine compartment.
----

THE business solution:

The 2010 Transit Connect, set to hit Ford dealerships this summer, offers 135 cu. ft. of space, yet it costs just $21,475 including the destination charge. To get that much covered cargo space in Ford's lineup, you'd need to step up to the Expedition.

...That last configuration can be paired with a folding second-row bench seating two or three people. Ford's Work Solutions, which debuted last year, will also be available on the Transit Connect. When properly equipped, owners benefit from a touch screen in-dash computer that has Internet access, productivity software, and optional printing capabilities. Tool Link will help owners keep track of tools and other items while Crew Chief is a telematics service that can monitor a fleet of Transit Connects.

More here:
2010 Ford Transit Connect Details, Photos Released in Advance of Chicago Debut - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
No comments at all? I'm getting pouty!

That concept one has walkie talkies. At first I thought they were beers. I don't know what those other two things are, behind the walkie talkies. Drink dispensers? (regular and diet)
Hot dog condiment dispensers? (mustard and ketchup)
Hand sanitizer and soap?
Star Trek medical device?

I also don't know what the things on the back of the seat are. Obviously some kind of Imperial Stormtrooper gear.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 10-06-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: removed "ugly" pictures
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
Ugly! Nuf said.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Ugly! Nuf said.
Awww...

Now I'm REALLY pouting.

Where's the pouty emoticon?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Awww...

Now I'm REALLY pouting.

Where's the pouty emoticon?
Not saying anything else besides it is a Fix Or Repair Daily.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
i'd rather have a dodge sprinter

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
The low version has possibilities. I don't think the high version would fit in my (rather small) garage. The high roof version looks like a vehicle worth waiting until 2012, when stability control becomes mandatory.

Last edited by Selden; 10-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
This is great for small businesses in urban centers. Reminds me of the Mercedez vans you see once in a while.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
The low version has possibilities. I don't think the high version would fit in my (rather small) garage. The high roof version looks like a vehicle worth waiting until 2012, when stability control becomes mandatory.
On the official site, says that Advance Trak with Roll Stability Control (RSC) is standard on the XL and XLT.

They also have the best disclaimer EVER!!!

"Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics..."

Ford Transit Connect Commercial Fleet Van | Official Site of the Ford Transit Connect | FordVehicles.com

It's in the Safety section, of the Features area.

Yes, you can have sound controls on the steering wheel. Hands free phone. You can have a COMPUTER in the dash, with a wireless keyboard, and it also can come with an inkjet printer. Really.

Cruise control, standard on the XLT wagon, which also comes with power windows, power locks, remote entry, power heated side mirrors.

Options include remote start.

The height is a bit over 6'7", the Fit is 5'. Ford Ranger is 5'7". So is the Escape. The Ford Transit Connect is about 3" shorter than a full-size van.

They have colors (in the Gallery) of Black, Silver, White, Red, Blue. 360 degree views of the vans in those colors.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
This is great for small businesses in urban centers. Reminds me of the Mercedez vans you see once in a while.
Yes, that's what I thought. Or small businesses in suburbia, where house calls are the main part of doing business.

Gas eats up a lot of profit when house calls are mandatory.

They have a lot of options for the dash, like with the computer. Could print out the invoice right then and there for jobs. VERY professional. Could run the business practically out of the vehicle.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
top gear had a segment on the transit. it was pretty sweet, they got some german chick, who I believe is a pro racer, to take it on some public track and did some impressive times. and it was in they're van challenge

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nosewitdot
i'd rather have a dodge sprinter
To drive or to live in? I had to look it up, and a Dodge Sprinter is HUGE:

This is an older article,...

For 2008 (only five years after its debut!) the Sprinter has been treated to some major updates, including a 3.0-liter V-6 turbo-diesel in place of the old five-cylinder, plus a 3.5-liter gasoline V-6 option. The most obvious change, though, is the addition of new, still-larger variants, topping out with the 170-inch wheelbase, extra-long, extra-tall, 3500-series cargo van, to the delight of delivery drivers and those of us moving a whole household's worth of crap.
Being in the latter camp, I must admit to being intimidated before I was delighted. After all, the max-everything Sprinter is a shade over 24 feet long and, with its optional Mega Roof ($1720), is a full 10 feet high.

2008 Dodge Sprinter - Dodge Fullsize Van Review - Automobile Magazine

Second, looking at the Dodge site, the Cargo Van in 144" wb starts at just under $40,000. While the Connect Transit starts at just under $22,000.

For the long and high Passenger version of the Sprinter, we're talking $50k. Just under $44k for the regular wb, regular height. Tons of colors, FIVE shades of red. THREE black versions. Some blues, yellows. Some are extra charge.

Also the Dodge has TONS of options. Many of which could be useful, depending on the applications of the vehicle. Obviously transporting 12 people, there should be some kind of rear heater. Other options are standard with the Ford (like the back up sensor or the fog lamps).

Dodge - Build My Own - Model Selection

Everything but the engine block heater comes with the XLT Passenger version of the Transit Connect, at $23,045. (except all the computer stuff)

Ford Commercial Trucks

There's nothing else to add to it.

For heavy duty, you'd have to go with the Dodge, you just can't seat 12 in a 5-seater. But how often is that needed? The two vehicles have decidedly different audiences.

You could almost have two Transit Connects (or a Fit and Transit Connect) for the price of one Dodge Sprinter. Two Transit Connects would have almost the same seating, with a combined payload higher than one Dodge Sprinter.

It's GOOD to have options. If you start your own business, you might be able to get by with most any vehicle. If you could choose to get the Transit Connect, that's a great beginning. If the business grows to the point where you need additional vehicles, more cargo space/payload, then you add in the Dodge Sprinter. Still doing the small jobs with the more fuel efficient small vehicle.

The Ford Transit Connect is much more like our Fit, with the fold up seats. To make a vehicle that could be used as both a business and personal vehicle. Or a business vehicle with configuarations for seating AND/OR cargo.

But if you get a passenger van in the Sprinter, you HAVE a passenger van.

Dodge - 2009 Sprinter - Storage - Passenger Van

Three back rows of seats don't all fold up and away. LOL! The vehicle has a specific purpose. Great for those commuter, airporter transports. Something similar is being used to get the golf fans from this street to the golf course (The President's Cup).

The Transit Connect excited me because it IS like our Fit, it HAS multiple purposes available even if it's set up as a passenger van, and has MORE features to run a small business than I can see as being available on the Dodge Sprinter.

It's much more all-purpose. And yet it can be ordered or bought as strictly a cargo van and outfitted in any way needed. It blurs the line between "commercial" and "personal" transportation.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
top gear had a segment on the transit. it was pretty sweet, they got some german chick, who I believe is a pro racer, to take it on some public track and did some impressive times. and it was in they're van challenge
I do love the Google search...

Sabine Schmitz, here's the YouTube video:
YouTube - Sabine Schmitz In a Ford Transit

She totally rocks.

"Hurry up, please"

Catches up to those "slow" bikes. LOL! In the diesel version.

Thanks for the tip on the video!

+rep

Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I do love the Google search...

Sabine Schmitz, here's the YouTube video:
YouTube - Sabine Schmitz In a Ford Transit

She totally rocks.

"Hurry up, please"

Catches up to those "slow" bikes. LOL! In the diesel version.

Thanks for the tip on the video!

+rep
That was in a Transit, not a Transit Connect.

It's like the difference between a K-5 Blazer and an S-10 Blazer.

Anyway, there's a really interesting catch to these. In order to avoid the Chicken Tax (a tax on any imported truck... the source of the name is a long story), they are importing these as passenger vehicles from their manufacturing plant in Turkey, and before they leave the import site in New Jersey, they have the windows removed, seats ripped out, rear carpet ripped out, and the panels placed in lieu of windows. All these materials go to a recycle heap.

It's cheaper to manufacture the Connect as a full passenger vehicle and then rip out all the unwanted stuff than to import them as stripped down panel vans.

It's... strange.

Anyway, it's on the same platform as the Focus - the American version, not the C1 based European Focus that is the sister car to the Mazda 3.

(Article on the Chicken Tax evasion: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125357990638429655.html )

Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
saw one of these yesterday for the first time, didnt know what it was at first. i think it was from a local dealer, they were using it as a parts van.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 AM
I think it would've done fine if it had a diesel