Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Blackstone Labs on Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Blackstone Labs on Oil

Posting of this is evil on my part, but I can't resist the temptation. The following is copied from: The Oil Report. April 2010

To All the Oils I’ve Loved Before
by Ryan Stark [Blackstone Labs]

I get asked on a regular basis what type of oil is the best, and we typically don’t give out recommendations because we see very little difference between brands. But that doesn't mean I don't have favorites. For me, there is a lot more that goes into picking a favorite oil than just how well the engine wears while it’s in use.

One factor is what Dad used. I can remember “helping” change oil with him back in the ’70s when the oil cans were round and you had to jab a separate spout into the can just to pour the oil out. Back then he was a Pennzoil man and I didn’t think to question why, but if I had, he probably would have said because it’s what his Dad used. So when I started buying my own oil and changing it, I thought about using Pennzoil, but being a bit of a rebel in my teenage years, I wasn’t going to do everything like Dad did.

I started out liking Texaco Havoline. It came in a cool black bottle and Texas was far away from Indiana so the oil was kind of exotic. I used it for years and my engine never blew up so it must be good oil right? Then I found Castrol GTX. Their white bottle wasn’t all that special, but they did offer a free NFL hat if you bought a case. That was an excellent reason to switch in my mind, and I still wear my Detroit Lions had with pride. (Yes, that’s right, I’m a Lions fan, and mark my words, they will win it all someday! If the Saints can win it, there’s always hope for the Lions.)

My engine ran for years on Castrol and never blew up, so that must be good oil, right? Then Castrol quit offering hats, so it was time to switch, and I decided to try Quaker State. Made from sweet Pennsylvania crude, I’m sure. They had a cool green bottle and my engine never blew up using it, so it’s good oil. But, I was never completely sold on Quaker State, and when I found Wolf’s Head oil, I knew it was time for a change. I'm not sure, but I suspect it's made from the first pressing of dead wolves’ heads, and while the animal lovers might not approve, it’s better than Baby Seal Head oil, so I didn't feel bad running it. That oil seems to work just fine, my engine never blew up up using it, but it was kind of out of the way for me to buy it, so I switched again.

This time I cheaped out and went with Meijer oil. For those who don’t know, Meijer is a big superstore like Wal-Mart, and after running a test on it, it turned out to have the exact same additive package as Castrol, my former favorite, so I was sold. Until this point I had steered clear of nonname brand oils (their bottles aren’t very pleasing to the eye), but then I realized that big chain stores don’t really make oil, they just buy it from a major oil company and repackage it as their own. This revelation sold my father on Wal-Mart’s Super Tech oil and almost sold me on Meijer forever, but then my wife started doing all the shopping. I never made it to Meijer anymore, so once again
it was time to switch.

Since then I have never really settled on one brand. Working at an oil lab, I’m interested to see what different oils people are using, so I switch on a regular basis and I mostly go with what's on sale. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, Kendall, it doesn’t really matter. The fact of the matter is, I love looking at all of the different oils available. I've been known to stop by the oil aisle when I didn't even need any oil, just to see what’s out there. The most fun is looking at oils from other countries. Much to my wife’s dismay, I bought some oil in Spain when we were on our honeymoon. I have been to Germany several times and once bought some oil in a gas station outside Munich that cost 25 euros/liter. That works out to roughly $34.00/quart. Wow! (If you are wondering why German car makers suggest running the oil an extremely long time, it’s because their oil is so expensive.) I’m too cheap to go with synthetics, but I can still be swayed by a cool-looking bottle every now and then. And given my fondness for a low price, I recently found a new favorite oil.

All kidding aside, we really don’t care what oil you use. Some people swear by this oil or that oil, but when they do the same thing and we honestly don't see any appreciable difference in when people switch brands. As we like to say, oil is oil. We’re sticking with it.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
HAHA, I was expecting something about the science behind going 7k+ miles on the same oil and filter, which is a debate that ranks right up there with engine break-in procedures in terms of dividing people.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
This has been a test of your sense of humor, this was only a test, if you had no sense of humor the report you just read would move you to post something about how Consumer Reports gets 3,000 miles per gallon on Brand X synthetic!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Does Ryan Stark represent all of Blackstone Labs?

I'm too cheap to go with synthetics.
For someone who sees as many UOA's as he does, this line surprised me the most. I agree that for the most part, oil is oil, regardless of the brand. But the difference in longevity between cheap-o dino oil and a good synthetic is definitely there, from all the reports I've seen.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
While most of this was certainly tongue in cheek, I don't think he was kidding. Ryan Stark appears to be the owner's son:

Ryan Stark
Ryan started at Blackstone in 1997 after graduating from Purdue University with a mechanical engineering degree. Ryan is responsible for writing and maintaining Blackstone's software program, setting up and managing the lab, writing reports, and a million other things that need to be done in a business. When he's not kicking ass in the lab or writing code, Ryan enjoys putting his pilot's license to good use, working on his '84 Chevy 3/4 ton, and teaching his son to play ball.
I would guess that he has seen more oil reports than anyone on this forum.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm im all about amsoil. I will send some in once i hit the 8k mark to see how she holds up

Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
I used Blackstone a lot to analyze the oil from my last car. It gave me the info I needed to see that, not only was the engine doing quite well, but the reports showed that I only needed to change my oil once a year. Actually, a little less than that. It may seem like a waste to use Blackstone on such a 'cheap' car. But really, it helps you save money in the long run by giving scientific results of your used oil.