Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Fit vs. Mini Cooper (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/6064-fit-vs-mini-cooper.html)

triggerzer0 06-13-2006 01:24 AM

Fit vs. Mini Cooper

ok guys, I havent driven the mini extensively, but my aunt has one and loves it. then again, she hasnt driven a Fit yet either. So how do they stack up against each other?

the fit is cheaper, it's bigger, has less horsepower, and should be much more reliable.

the mini is more luxury oriented, has that stupid speedo in the middle, comes with a sunroof(I think), weighs less, has more power, but it's smaller

they both supposedly get about the same mileage

Packy 06-13-2006 01:47 AM

A base Mini gets 26/34, VS the Fit at 31/37. That's around $300 a year in extra money a year if you drive 15000 miles a year. Not a ton, but it adds up.

Base Mini has comparable housepower, and is a bit lighter. I prefer the 4 doors of the Fit, as well as the price. I know which one I'm getting :)

triggerzer0 06-13-2006 04:42 PM

you're qouting automatic transmissions.

the m/t mini gets closer to the same mileage as the m/t Fit

ModestFIT 06-13-2006 05:17 PM

i prefer my fit to my girlfriends mini. Both r nice car but im a honda head 4 life. We r gonna auto x gainst each other in a couple of months.

Packy 06-13-2006 06:04 PM

My friend's parents were going to get a Mini, but couldn't get over the cost and the impracticality of 2 doors, especially since they have 2 grandkids and a dog. Obviously they went with the Fit. I had been researching a new car at the same time they were, and we independently came to the conclusion that a Fit Sport AT was the best car for our needs. If money and practicality wasn't an issue, I'd get a Mini!

Spule 4 06-15-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Packy
My friend's parents were going to get a Mini, but couldn't get over the cost and the impracticality of 2 doors, especially since they have 2 grandkids and a dog. If money and practicality wasn't an issue, I'd get a Mini!

The "new" Mini Traveller (Mini have to change name due to not registering the old BMC name from years ago) comes out in the next year or so. Two doors, but more room.

Honestly, I am surprised a "new" Mini Moke has not come out yet with SUVs being all the rage? Maybe something to do with safety and a car with no doors I guess?

fit_4_a_king 06-16-2006 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ModestFIT
im a honda head 4 life

I couldn't agree with you more.

BTW, I've test driven a Mini, and it is a fun car to drive. The S does have some pep too.

lovethatfit 06-26-2006 03:09 AM

what's the purposes of using the car and what's your budget?
if you just want to have more fun and go-kart like feelings, you probably will like MINI better.
if you care about the cargo space, MPG, and save some money on the side, Fit will be nicer.

Illusive 06-26-2006 08:00 PM

Don't forget, the Mini requires premium gas while the Fit only needs regular gas. The Mini is quite fun to drive I must say, especially the S, but thats like CAD$10,000 more than the Sport Fit.

07Fit00S2K 06-27-2006 12:12 AM

The Mini is nice but don't like the interior. Too small and the rear cargo area is tiny. Can't fit my doggy crate back there. The Mini should stomp the Fit at the autox. I'm taking my Fit to the next autox with the crappy Dunlop tires. :cry:

Spule 4 06-27-2006 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
The Mini is nice but don't like the interior. Too small and the rear cargo area is tiny. Can't fit my doggy crate back there. The Mini should stomp the Fit at the autox. I'm taking my Fit to the next autox with the crappy Dunlop tires. :cry:

The upcoming Mini Traveller might be better?

Also, what is wrong with the Dunlops? I feared they would be bad, but no problems as of yet with them (14") in all forms of driving and weather, well no snow....yet! I had a set of Dunlops years ago that were terrible....so maybe that is the bias?

And it turns out that the Nokian i3 (the tire I thought would be a good replacement) that are sold here in the US are made in China Vs. the rest of the world's Nokian i3s (look for the green stripe) are still made in Finland....:mad: :confused: :mad:

kdepew 07-01-2006 05:15 PM

I agree with a couple of previous posters. They are totally different.

If you want a practical and reliable car, get the Fit.

If you want a fun and sporty car (and one that will generally be thought of to look much better), get the Mini.

It comes down to your priorities and finances.

Gordio 07-02-2006 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by triggerzer0
you're qouting automatic transmissions.

the m/t mini gets closer to the same mileage as the m/t Fit

are u sure about that? the mini is actually heavier (am i right about this?), more horsepower, and uses older EPA numbers.

FondaFit 07-02-2006 01:23 PM

I've always loved the Mini Cooper, but when I saw one close up, and the salesman eagerly approached, I described my dogs and the impossibility of fitting them in there. I have to keep in mind the possibility of a hurricane evacuation with multiple pets. Everyone fits in my Fit.

VTEC_Dreams 07-31-2006 10:21 PM

whoa whoa whoa...the Mini weighs in at 3250-3300 pounds!! How in the HELL is that near the 2400 our Fit's weigh in at?! To my simple brain, it looks like the Mini is, well, ONE THOUSAND pounds more heavy! Put 3 NFL football players in your Fit, and then you can compare.

markww3 08-01-2006 10:53 PM

remember after ww3 gas will 10.00 per gas. light is best

hiroko12 08-02-2006 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Dreams
whoa whoa whoa...the Mini weighs in at 3250-3300 pounds!! How in the HELL is that near the 2400 our Fit's weigh in at?! To my simple brain, it looks like the Mini is, well, ONE THOUSAND pounds more heavy! Put 3 NFL football players in your Fit, and then you can compare.

The base mini is 2,700 lbs. I don't know where you got your weight figures, but your way off. Check out Edmunds.com.

GoFits 08-02-2006 09:47 PM

2,701 -Mini Cooper 5/mt (automotive.com)
2,471-Fit Sport 5/mt -(Fit brochure)

Fit's a little lighter

He was probably quoting gross

kdepew 08-02-2006 10:20 PM

Mini's website shows the Cooper as 2524 lbs for the manual. Honda list the Fit Sport MT as 2471. They pretty much weigh the same.

I still think which is better depends on what you need the car for. The Mini is the better fun car. The Fit is the better practical car.

Ricepuddin 08-03-2006 01:38 AM

My old boss wanted me to Auto-X him in his Mini-s... lol there arn't many Auto-x events in western pa though so never got the chance.