Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

New Top Gear-like show

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
New Top Gear-like show

The Car Show on the Speed channel looks pretty interesting. Adam Carolla and Matt Farrah are the main attractions. With those two I think the show could easily outdo American Top Gear.

Anybody else going to be watching it?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 PM
ANY show about ANYthing outdoes the US Top Gear. Ugh!

UK Top Gear - our families current addiction...

How much does Adam Carolla know about cars? Didn't know he was a gear head. May be cool!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The US top gear is actually pretty good. I still like the UK one better as the Chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond, and May have together is awesome. US top gear uses the same writers as the UK top gear. I enjoyed it, and I think unless the writers on the car show are really good it will flop.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't like that the US top gear just basically did things the UK one did about 8 seasons ago. That and to be honest we don't have nearly the number of car makes or models here in the US so I really wonder how much actual reviews they car do that will be different that the UK one. I will give the next season a chance but I watched 1 episode of the first season and switched right back to the UK series.

I also want to see this new show with Adam. It was the rumor for years that he was going to be a host on the US Top gear and that clearly didn't happen which is sad becuase he is much funnier than the hosts they got.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
dko
this is coming from someone who is a huge top gear fan. obviously the current format of UK Top Gear is unbeatable.

i will say that i thought top gear US was okay. the first few episodes weren't anything great, but the later ones are pretty good. especially the "what american car would you bring back and sell today" challenge and the raptor test. if you give the show a fair chance i think there are some good bits. also, how many people have watched the first few seasons of current UK Top Gear? I'll say that for a first season the US version is more polished with better host chemistry than the first season of the UK show.

i saw the first episode of The Car Show and i thought it was awful. i'll have to see more to make up my mind. I like Adam Carolla and Matt Farrah a lot, but Adam seems ridiculously wooden on TV and Matt is forced to play second fiddle to him. I don't remember the other guy on the show but he seems a bit out of place.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Not much a follower of either. Some episodes I find interesting (like off-roading in the Amazons) and entertaining though. I'm more of a Motorweek, most dangerous roads, Ice Road Truckers, WRC and Dakar rally viewer.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to have to tune in to the next episode of Top Gear US, one of the cars featured will be a VW pickup from the early 80s and I had owned a couple of them... They do seem to be improving the series as time goes by, don't know if it will be enough to stay on though.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I watched the Car Show. It was so-so. Adam Carolla was okay when i was young and thought the Man Show was cool. He's just kind of, what's the right word...? oh yeah, a douche. Overall the show is kind of tainted with doucheyness.
Top Gear America is getting better, but not to the level of the UK edition (I've been watching it since Tiff Needel was a host). On the US version that Adam Ferrara dude bothers me for some reason. Motorweek is so old school and lame. The guy uses the same intonation for every sentence of every show he's ever done. And for a "journalistic" show it is rather inconsistent with it's facts. At least with Top Gear they outright tell you where they show favor or make mistakes.
For those who can't get enough tv cars and don't want to watch west coast customs, try wheeler dealers. Good tips for all of you into advanced car care and maintenance. It's on HDnet I believe.

So to summarize-
UK Top Gear - A+
US Top Gear - C
'The' Car Show - D-