Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   advice needed, what whould you do? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/67134-advice-needed-what-whould-you-do.html)

anime2k3 08-28-2011 08:13 PM

advice needed, what whould you do?

I have a black 2010 fit sport. I occasionally visit my grandparents and park it in their driveway. The area they live it in is slowly turning to $hitsville. I will find many times cigarette butts all over and around my car. This time i found some butts on the roof and tucked into the weather stripping.

I don't know who it is, but I am told they will also put out the cigarettes on the other cars in the driveway. (suspect neighbors or local workers) So far i haven't found any damage on my car, but im curious what you guys would recommend doing dealing with this?

totomark 08-29-2011 02:23 AM

hide in the bushes with a baseball bat. or watch from the window...

...with a baseball bat.

anime2k3 08-29-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by totomark (Post 1027656)
hide in the bushes with a baseball bat. or watch from the window...

...with a baseball bat.

haha loll I was thinking of hovering on the porch with a BB gun but that might damage the car. No, i cant do that even though i want to. It wont fly in NY.

Brain Champagne 08-29-2011 09:45 AM

Surveillance camera?

Saw on the news recently- someone was keying a guy's car. He put in a camera- turned out it was a judge living next door, clearly nuts because the guy wasn't fully in the driveway and was blocking the sidewalk. I think the judge lost his job.

anime2k3 08-29-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne (Post 1027689)
Surveillance camera?

Saw on the news recently- someone was keying a guy's car. He put in a camera- turned out it was a judge living next door, clearly nuts because the guy wasn't fully in the driveway and was blocking the sidewalk. I think the judge lost his job.

Yeah, I was thinking thats what is going to have to be done. Its stories like the one with the judge that make these a necessity. Problem is, my grandparents are reluctant to do anything like that even though it would benefit. I'm going to have to really sell it to them.

What do I do once i got the perps on video? call 311, cops?

Krimson_Cardnal 08-29-2011 12:32 PM

It's sad to see things like this.

Go to these guys, it's their job.

Explain your concerns for your grandparents safety and your experiences when visiting.
Ask that their address be put on a watch list.

Do not try to manage this on your own - too much at stake, it isn't a TV show, it's your families safety.

anime2k3 08-29-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 1027742)
It's sad to see things like this.

Go to these guys, it's their job.

Explain your concerns for your grandparents safety and your experiences when visiting.
Ask that their address be put on a watch list.

Do not try to manage this on your own - too much at stake, it isn't a TV show, it's your families safety.

Thankyou for the link, Krimson_Cardnal. I read over their mission statement and it seems they mainly deal with Graffiti. It is food for thought though and i have bookmarked the site for future reference.

So far I have:
  • Baseball bat justice
  • Security camera
  • Citywide Vandals Task Force
I personally like the 1st choice however, the latter 2 seem to be the best option. Since installing cameras is going to be a hard sell for them I will likely try the CVTF. Thank you again everyone for all your input.

Brain Champagne 08-29-2011 01:33 PM

If it's happening to more than just them- if you do go to the cops, get every other victim on board- they'll take ten complaints more seriously than just one. My experience with NYPD, albeit limited, is that they try to talk people out of filing complaints, to keep their crime stats down. If they understand that it's a group of victims and not just some dispute between neighbors they may take it more seriously.

Oh, if there's someone on the block who isn't suffering... suspect #1.

Krimson_Cardnal 08-29-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by anime2k3 (Post 1027758)
Thankyou for the link, Krimson_Cardnal. I read over their mission statement and it seems they mainly deal with Graffiti. It is food for thought though and i have bookmarked the site for future reference.

It is a place to start - a phone call is all it takes. Keep in mind, you're not complaining but trying to report an ongoing issue for the security of your grandfolks. There is, most likely, a neighborhood watch group. NYC is concerned with security within all boroughs. If nothing else it puts the issue 'on the books'. I feel you will get a concerned response, however.

Brain Champagne 08-29-2011 03:47 PM

Or start with NYPD. And then when they try to tell you that it's not a police matter, your Borough President's office...

Paul56 08-29-2011 04:13 PM

Leave car at home and take public transit.

anime2k3 08-29-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paul56 (Post 1027818)
Leave car at home and take public transit.

heh. It's actually worse off at home then in their garage. Either it's my luck or the car is a glutton for punishment. I live in Brooklyn and the area around my apartment has had tons of issues with wheels and GPS devices being stolen from cars. Mine included, but thats a story for another time.

My grandparents area used to be a residential area. now it has been replaced with medical buildings and apartments. It is still quasi residential, but its unsettling to have this stuff start to creep up in their area.

Unforgiven 08-29-2011 05:27 PM

I would sell my fit, and buy a POS that i didn't care whether or not people put out cigarettes on.

lonny001 08-30-2011 06:59 AM

I want to get know what are the main problem of engine....?

Subie 08-30-2011 12:03 PM

Have your grandparents visit you instead, pick them up and take them out or just take public transport when visiting.

Wanderer. 08-30-2011 12:32 PM

Pitbull chained to towhook.

Call cops and tell them that there are people trespassing and loitering on your property. IDK how apt NYPD is to respond to these kind of things. I know problems like this are very frustrating because it doesn't seem like there's much you can do by yourself except confront them and even then it's unlikely to resolve the situation.

People these days have no respect for others and their property, it's really sad.

Bthasht 08-30-2011 01:05 PM

Get you a good pit bull. Chain it off to tow hook with a lock. Problem solved

Subie 08-30-2011 01:14 PM

I know you guys are joking... Off topic but pit bulls always get a bad wrap. Pit bulls are great dogs. So sad, too many bad media coverage and irresponsible owners... give the breed a very distorted image.

kenchan 08-30-2011 03:19 PM

wat would i do? move. :)

NY is a huge state, it's not just the city.

DiamondStarMonsters 08-30-2011 03:39 PM

Solution:
http://hairygoon.com/wp-content/uplo...bond_thumb.jpg
South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube
CNN - Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars - December 11, 1998
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)