Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   AKMEE Engineering 1991 NA1 Acura NSX on Highway 17 from Scotts Valley towards Los Gat (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/70128-akmee-engineering-1991-na1-acura-nsx-highway-17-scotts-valley-towards-los-gat.html)

ghettoracer 02-10-2012 07:33 AM

AKMEE Engineering 1991 NA1 Acura NSX on Highway 17 from Scotts Valley towards Los Gat

AKMEE Engineering 1991 NA1 Acura NSX walk around (as requested) - YouTube

Walk around video of our NSX...

AKMEE Engineering 1991 NA1 Acura NSX on Highway 17 from Scotts Valley towards Los Gatos - YouTube

I haven't been on this stretch of world famous high way in probably over 6 years. Highway 17 is an amazing stretch of road that connects Los Gatos to Santa Cruz.

It has gained the nick name "Bloody Highway" by some. It has lot of medium speed turns (by road racing standards), long sweepers, tons of elevation changes which makes it feel like a giant roller coaster and it is absolutely beautiful. It requires constant attention because the moment you take your eyes off the road you will probably wreck. Heck, for the average driver, even with constant attention it is pretty easy for them to over sped and I can see why people will lose control of the car due to lack of skills and experience. This is why I promote high performance driving schools as much as I can.

I've been driving on all the beautiful California road courses since 1995. Local to Northern California, we have Sear Point (Infineon), Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill (about 2.5 hours North of San Francisco). All three tracks are fantastic and there are track days available all around the year. If you would like to become a better and safer driver, please sign up for a driving school. There are many options!

If you take your own car you can get on track for as cheap as $100!! Way cheaper than a speeding ticket and I guarantee you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and have the time of your life. If you are interesting in getting instruction from me feel free to contact me. I have been an instructor for many California driving school and car clubs since 1999, including the NSX Club.

On amazon there's a great little book called "Highway 17: The Road to Santa Cruz". I haven't read it myself but the description is great! Highway 17 has tons of history, politics, stories. I think I will order a copy.

BlackPearlFIT 02-10-2012 01:55 PM

I <3 NSX's, looks in great condition as well

ghettoracer 02-11-2012 02:53 AM

best of craigslist > SF bay area > Greetings from your friendly HWY 17 bus driver
Originally Posted: Sun, 7 Feb 22:57 PST
Greetings from your friendly HWY 17 bus driver

Date: 2010-02-07, 10:57PM PST

First of all, I'd like to compliment you all on the quality and quantity of your middle fingers.

I realize I am widely despised and considered by many of you to be a selfish, clueless, dangerous bastard of a road hazard. I understand where you are coming from. Even if you are a greedy, spoiled, impatient piece of shit. I understand.

Let me address a couple of specific issues.

1. The fast lane, or as it is known in "the business," the Number One Lane.
Why in bloody hell, some of you wonder, would a goddamn bus be using the fast lane southbound between 280 and Los Gatos, when it can't travel much over 70 mph (MAX) on a downhill grade, and moves like a snail on the uphill? Well, it's like this: I am trying to avoid the clusterfuck merges that occur throughout that stretch. The road is full of really bad drivers, as you know... and while a passenger car might stand a chance of swerving or accelerating or braking out of trouble, not me. I need to stay out of the way of that shit. If a merging idiot cuts me off and I have to decelerate on an even a slight uphill grade, there will be peace in the Middle East before I can get back up to the speed limit. I know you are pissed off that I am keeping you from speeding your ass off for a few minutes, but if I get stuck in the Idiot Merge and have to slow down, then you will see some really serious traffic blockage while I hold the throttle pedal to the floor and wait for the bus to resume any forward motion. I know you don't give a shit about that because you can drive better than James Bond and would easily bust through the jam with amazing technique, but next time you might be a minute or two behind me... then you will taste some serious inconvenience and delay because some asshole such as yourself didn't let me just keep up enough momentum to get out of the way as soon as possible.

2. Speaking of merging:
Look here, the bus has basically two modes; floored and stopped. When floored, the actual speed depends entirely on grade and momentum. When I am coming down a ramp to merge onto the highway, I am FUCKING FLOORING IT, ok? I am trying to get as close to the flow of traffic as possible. Maybe you are in the right land and see me up ahead, preparing to merge and signaling left. You could do a couple of things. You could slow down and let me in, which I would appreciate but certainly not expect of you. Or, probably even better, you could put your fucking foot in it and blast cleanly around me and make good your escape. But either way, you gotta shit or get off the pot. Please do not hover back there in my blind spot, spitting and cussing and wondering when I'm going to make my move. Guess what? You are already seeing my move. I am signaling left and standing on the throttle with my full weight. You're the one in the vehicle that actually has a choice to go faster. I realize that sometimes I am getting in your way. Really, I'm sorry about that, but if you make me slow down because I can't tell where you are ... well, then we're going to see how badly I can make traffic back up. The rule of thumb is this: Do what traffic expects you to do. That means do not come to a screeching halt on the freeway because you think I'll cut in front of you, or because you are such a sweetheart that you are willing to fuck 5 miles of commuters behind you so that I can creep into traffic. Just drive. Do what traffic expects. If you can just carry on at your same speed and zip right past me than please do so. On the the other hand, if you see me a half mile up ahead, signaling left and waiting waiting waiting to get over, and no one will budge, and I am getting dangerously close to the point of no return... please do not floor it when I finally get a little gap and you are several hundred yards back. We want the same thing, you and me. You want to get the fuck away from me and I also want you to do that.

Oh, and northbound, after the curvy part of 17, just after the Cats restaurant, where the first Los Gatos onramp comes in... I always grab the left lane anywhere I can get it after Lexington Reservoir and the Cats. The traffic merging onto the freeway at Los Gatos is deadly. Deadly and slow. Plus, there is another merge nightmare shortly thereafter as people try and remember whether they want 85 or not... or start reading their map to see what 85 even is. I don't want 85. I want to stay away from everyone who is wrapped up in the spiritual dilemma over whether to take it or not. That means one thing and one thing only: Left Lane. Please keep in mind... I am not trying to block your way. I just need to maintain my speed long enough to get around all that shit. As usual, if I get caught in it, I'll become a much bigger pain in the ass while I try and get back up to speed over the next 20 minutes.

3. Lane changes/passing other vehicles
Same deal. Believe it or not, there are vehicles on the road even slower than the Hwy17 bus. Usually they are big rigs, construction trailers, out-of-town first-times (on this road) doing the White Knuckler... and sometimes they are just terrified little idiots who refuse to believe that the posted speed limit is to be trusted. If I get caught behind this stuff on the uphill... forget it. I'll be slowing up the traffic for a long time If you see me on the downhill, signaling left, please let me get around them. I can do it going downhill, and I PROMISE to get the fuck back in the slow lane immediately.

I hope this clears up some confusion. It is a treacherous road, and can be unbearably frustrating when you are in a hurry. Please keep in mind that my bus is not the only thing out there jamming up traffic. In fact, I'll jam it up less if given just a little room. At least I am aware of the situation and aware of the need to try and stay out of the way when I can't go fast, and to keep things flowing when I can.

Oh, and to the woman in the dirty Subaru Outback with the Montessori bumper sticker... you really need to quit biting your nail on that middle finger. Your Bird-Flippng technique is flawless, but that fingernail is disgusting. Next time I see it (probably tomorrow) I want to see it neatly trimmed.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1590948273
Copyright © 2012 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

DoYouFit? 02-11-2012 12:22 PM

lawl...good read. At least the bus driver let off steam.