Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Which car to buy...Subaru BRZ or Hyundai Genesis Coupe? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/70293-car-buy-subaru-brz-hyundai-genesis-coupe.html)

MikeNSX 02-18-2012 09:52 AM

Which car to buy...Subaru BRZ or Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

I'm thinking about buying either a new Subaru BRZ or 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe this spring or summer.

The Subaru BRZ is the product of a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru to build a lightweight, fun to drive rear wheel drive sports car. It will weigh about 2600 to 2700 lbs and will be powered by a 200 hp 151 lb ft of torque Boxer engine, and from all the reviews I've read, appears to be an absolute blast to drive. The car is approx. the size of a Miata. The car will start arriving here in May or June.

The 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is the newly redesigned version of the car. Upgrades for 2013 include a new 2.0 Turbo engine with 274 hp and 275 lb ft of torque. The interior is greatly improved, as is the suspension. Size is more in line with my Supra, as is weight. The car weighs approx. 3300 lbs. With just a chip and exhaust, you could probably add 30-50 hp to the car. The car will start arriving here in late March or April.

I would be using this an an occasional daily driver and weekend car.

Hyundai has released pricing, and for the 2.0 Turbo with a 6 speed, the cost is slightly over $25k. Subaru hasn't released pricing yet, but it is projected to be $25-26k, so both cars are similarly priced.

Looking for opinions on either car.

Thanks.

hayden 02-18-2012 11:32 AM

The BR-Z should provide more driving feedback. It's a very small car. The Hyundai has not been lauded for its handling, but I doubt it's that bad. From what I can tell, the BR-Z is a true affordable sports car and the Genesis falls into more of the sport touring category. It would most likely be better on the highway, and have a softer ride.

Jury is still out on both these cars. If Hyundai made some improvements over just adding power and style, then it could be competitive. The "bass mouth" styling is interesting, but not elegant at all. Not like our Fits are, but they are not over the top.

MikeNSX 02-18-2012 11:45 AM

Looks like other changes to the Genesis Coupe are:

-Re-tuned low velocity control suspension dampers

-Telescopic steering wheel

-Driver's side lumbar adjustment

-RPM sensing rack and pinion steering with a quicker 13.8:1 ratio

adolan21 02-18-2012 11:50 AM

Only driving the 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 I can only give you somewhat relative feed back and that is that it handles pretty well. It's not the best handler but pretty decent. Power was good and exhaust note was fantastic. I had the car for a full day and my favorite part was starting it :) as it was so deep sounding. The interior was meh, a lot of hard plastics and it had an awful new car smell that made me sick. I'm looking forward to test driving both of them when they come out as they are contenders for a future car.

MikeNSX 02-18-2012 11:53 AM

I'm sure you've seen pictures of the new interior, and it really does look like a vast improvement over the current model.

adolan21 02-18-2012 12:00 PM

Yes it looks good in pictures but we won't know for sure until we get some seat time. The Veloster turbo looks pretty sweet but I have to get in the drivers seat and see if I could live with that slanting rear window. I'm spoiled by the Fit's almost zero blind spots.

MikeNSX 02-18-2012 12:03 PM

The Genesis Coupe I'd probably most be interested in is the R-Spec model.

For $2250 more than the base, you get a torsen limited slip differential, Brembo brakes, larger rotors, 19" wheels, firmer spring rates and larger stabilizer bars.

For a little over $27k, that's sound like a great car for the money.

hayden 02-18-2012 12:11 PM

I'm getting the sense from test-drivers that the veloster does nothing exceptionally well except get decent mileage.. then again, it is engineered for "whatever." From what I've read on their forum, I get roughly the same mileage in my MT Fit.

Mike: I think a test drive is definitely in order with those steering and suspension changes. I've really wanted to like the Genesis since it came out. Lots of ingredients for success; but too chintzy to gain my everyday respect. Give Hyundai 10 more years, and they could dominate. Their regular Genesis and Equus are quite something too - so we could see them doing all kinds of things upmarket. I don't think there will be a problem with its reputation. They could switch to the Genesis marque too for those cars--which I think they should.

MikeNSX 02-19-2012 11:07 AM

I just noticed that Ford is offering big rebates on the 2012 Mustang GT right now...$3000 to be specific. This is good until the end of February.

I may have to consider one of these as well. Most dealers will sell a new GT at a few hundred over invoice, which translates to approx. $28,500. Take off the $3000 factory rebate and you can buy a brand new 2012 Mustang GT for $25,500.

The car has 412 hp and 390 lb ft of torque. 0-60 is in the mid 4's and the 1/4 mile in the high 12's. Skidpad #s are .91 g, so handling is pretty decent as well.

I know there's Mustangs on every corner and at every light, but that's a lot of performance for $25,500, which is right in line with what the BRZ and Genesis Coupe will cost.

Decisions...decisions...

neteng101 02-19-2012 11:23 AM

What exactly are you looking for? I'd say you're headed on the right track - the BRZ is what I would get, its lightweight, tossable, low center of gravity... just all the right basics. Do wish they'd offer a souped up STI version though with a bit more output... which could happen. Still won't outrun V8s.

The Mustang is certainly a fine choice of a very different nature - its heavy but with muscle. Not feeling the Genesis so much... if you want muscle, the Mustang/Camaro is where I'd look first.

mike410b 02-19-2012 11:29 AM

Mustang GT > BRZ > Gen Coupe

Subie 02-19-2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MikeNSX (Post 1075473)
Decisions...decisions...

Must be nice... to have this dilemna...

Theos92vr4 02-19-2012 05:03 PM

Neither...

555sexydrive 02-19-2012 05:35 PM

For a driver - BRZ
For a pretender - Genesis

Which shoe would you prefer to wear?

Choro-Q_Fit 02-19-2012 06:03 PM

or wait for the Subaru BRZ STI with a nice little turbo.

Subie 02-19-2012 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive (Post 1075572)
For a driver - BRZ
For a pretender - Genesis

Which shoe would you prefer to wear?

Heheh I like that! I'd lean with the Subaru as well but not to bad mouth the Genesis, it would be 2nd choice. I have both brands (WRX/Elantra) in my stable.

MikeNSX 02-19-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Theos92vr4 (Post 1075561)
Neither...

So...what other really fun to drive, rear wheel drive, sporty car in the $25,000 range other than the BRZ (FR-S), Genesis Coupe or Mustang GT, can you recommend to me to take a look at?

mike410b 02-19-2012 06:43 PM

Miata!

<3 me some MX5

MikeNSX 02-19-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1075597)
Miata!

<3 me some MX5

I don't think so...

StormSurfer 02-19-2012 11:00 PM

I will pick the Subaru BRZ.I will call it "Street Breeze" and for sure there will be a lot of nice aftermarket parts for it.Genesis look nice but i like the BRZ more.It looks SICK to the eye.Here a video from You-tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwI08...eature=related