Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The Fit is Gone...now what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Both the GTI and the MINI have reliability problems.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Def VW GTI. I just started a business and plan on leasing one in a few months!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I drove two PT Cruiser GTs this afternoon, one manual and one auto. I want a manual, I absolutely loved it. The power is so similar to an SRT-4, but you sit a little taller and you are surprised of the power when you hit the gas pedal. Couldn't make a deal on the manual, so I walked away. The auto was a smokers car and a lot of things were trashed for being an 06' with only 34000 but I drove it just to see how the auto was and it was ok but I prefer the manual...now I just have to find one with leather or cloth and I will put seat covers in it. Sadly the one in town is purple and I don't want to drive an eggplant.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 AM
i can't believe anyone would get a pt., but thats just my bias opinion from working on them. personally i'd get a ford focus hatch.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
i can't believe anyone would get a pt., but thats just my bias opinion from working on them. personally i'd get a ford focus hatch.

Have you worked on a lot of the GTs? I am just wondering. I am not getting the normal motor that comes with them...it is the same motor as the srt-4. Yes the transmissions are weaker, rather it is a manual or an auto but there are tons of srt-4s pushing 320+ hp on stock clutches and stock manual transmissions and I am not looking to push that much power ever. I have decided after driving and reading a lot about them that I will only get a manual.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Scion FR-S!!!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by LittleMissE
Have you worked on a lot of the GTs? I am just wondering. I am not getting the normal motor that comes with them...it is the same motor as the srt-4. Yes the transmissions are weaker, rather it is a manual or an auto but there are tons of srt-4s pushing 320+ hp on stock clutches and stock manual transmissions and I am not looking to push that much power ever. I have decided after driving and reading a lot about them that I will only get a manual.
a few, but reguardless of the submodel its the same chassis, and its the chassis that i'm more incline to dislike.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Mazdaspeed 3 FTW
Yup, I was VERY close to buying a new 2012 (non-tech) with my S-Plan discount, but decided on fuel economy over power and bought a low mileage FIT instead. Factory LSD, 6 Speed and more power than the front wheels can really handle right out of the box.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I have thought about getting an Neon SRT-4 but we already have one of those. So, I figured I would buy a PT Cruiser GT because it has a hatch.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by stuartmark578
I have thought about getting an Neon SRT-4 but we already have one of those. So, I figured I would buy a PT Cruiser GT because it has a hatch.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Uh .. yeah :) Nice picture.

I'm really surprised by the VW comments. I find them very appealing too until I think of the number of days I'm going to have to spend at the dealer getting stupid things replaced that would never break on a Japanese (or even a domestic!) car. I think the golf is a great looking car (gti down on power vs the price though) and the passat is quite a handsome, mature design. And the diesels get terrific mileage. But .. look at that reliability chart! And the base (affordable) models always come with a crap engine. A 5-cyl? Really?

I'd get another Fit! :)

But aside from that, if I limit it just to hatches. Mazda3 is a very spiffy car, completely Germanic steering, tracking and cornering. Great car. Comfy but basic interior, so it's a great option if you want that German feel but don't have a lot of cash.

I'm not really keen on the Fiesta or Focus to be honest. But I'm driving an ST next weekend so maybe I can report back.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I think that the mazda is a great option... why not a used WRX? If you don't like the look of them, the SAAB 9-2x is actually just a rebadged WRX with a facelift... and as long as you're not doing differential busting dumps, it's a reliable car that is versatile and has great driving characteristics.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WineO
If you don't like the look of them, the SAAB 9-2x is actually just a rebadged WRX with a facelift... and as long as you're not doing differential busting dumps, it's a reliable car that is versatile and has great driving characteristics.
That's what I just did after totaling my '09. Went to this '05 Aero

Name:  IMAG0798.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  151.0 KB

Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
I drove and then passed on a base 9-2x before I bought my used CRV. Liked the handling, liked the fit & finish, didn't like the sluggish feel from the non-turbo engine. And the fact that the guy was miffed that I noticed a tiny leak from the rear diff. Could have been normal, how would I know, but from my perspective I was not going to buy a car with ANY leaks, hehe. Also, interior is a little cramped, like the Impreza; but you'd get used to it quickly. They are about the same price used as the same Subaru models anyway.

My CRV was just about as fun to drive (5mt) though. Despite the taller body it felt equally agile.

Keep in mind I went from that CRV to the Fit and although I miss it a little the Fit is a better car :)

If I didn't mention this before, I don't like anything from Chrysler. They really still make that TP cruiser?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 PM
isn't the 2013 civic now a hatch?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM
If on a budget, then why not a used IS300 with decent miles? The car will go forever, and it is RWD. If you want to really modify it, the options are limitless (although you will need to stiffen the chassis a bit) but it really has enough power naturally aspirated not to need forced induction or heavy modifications.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM
PT cruisers are just Neons underneath the body panels. Also they're crummy to work on. And while you can find people who haven't had many problems with them, they are poor quality as a whole.
If it's what you like, get it. We're on a Fit forum here, Chrysler products are not well liked on this side of the car world, haha. So I'd take what is said here with a grain of salt.
If it were me, I'd get a chipped GTI or a MazdaSpeed3. Chipped TDI for the fuel economy though :P

The Mazda will be cheaper up front and in maintenance than the Vdubs, but the Vdubs have much nicer interiors, handle just a little tighter, and have much better resale value later on.

Oh yeah, resale value, let's not forget about that! Luckily for you, the chrysler/dodge lineup has always suffered from low resale value, so since I'm guessing you're buying used, you'll probably find a PT cruiser at half the price or less than a lot of the suggestions here.

Cheers

Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Well I know this thread is really old. I bought an 04' PT GT, manual...I love it. Just got the chance to drive in in the snow and it was awesome, I thought it would be harder to drive then the Fit in the snow but I really like it better.

For all the other choices listed here they were all out of my price range except the WRXs but they had almost 200,000 miles on the ones I could find...the PT only had about 65,000 miles on it when I bought it.

I learned one thing that I think we can all agree on...don't by ValueCraft batteries...mine literally boiled itself with in about 3 months. Now I have a Duralast and haven't had any problems.

I have been to the track a few times with the car and really like it. Overall, I am pretty sure it is my favorite car so far...I also get 23mpgs on average (combined highway and city).