Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   The Fit is Gone...now what to get? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/71173-fit-gone-now-what-get.html)

LittleMissE 04-03-2012 11:39 PM

The Fit is Gone...now what to get?

Well I got rid of my Fit the other day...I kinda miss it but I wanted a car with more power. I will miss the fuel economy but want more get up and go.

I really like hatchbacks so I loved the Fit for that. I have thought about getting an Neon SRT-4 but we already have one of those. So, I figured I would buy a PT Cruiser GT because it has a hatch. (I used to dislike the look of a PT Cruiser but the looks are growing on me).

My choices right now are down to a "light/bright" blue 04' PT Cruiser GT with a stage one and Manual Transmission or a Black 06' PT Cruiser GT with an automatic Transmission. I really want a manual but I like the look of the black one a little better. I am so torn... I am going to go look at the blue one tomorrow bc I will have time after work to get there...looking at the black one will have to wait until Saturday.

I am crazy for wanting a PT Cruiser?

ThEvil0nE 04-03-2012 11:52 PM

Volkswagen of America

LeAJazz 04-04-2012 12:06 AM

a golf gti?

Jamy 04-04-2012 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE (Post 1088108)

Great car! My friend just bought one and he loves it. Gets 52 mpg Average on the interstate at 75-85 mph. Plenty of torque for take off and passing.

Originally Posted by LeAJazz (Post 1088114)
a golf gti?

My dad just bought one. A Mk V 2 door with the DSG. I like it a lot. Very sport and fast but still nice on mpg. About 32 mpg avg at 70 mph.

I recommend against the PT. They fall apart quickly.. Chrysler isn't known for quality.

LeAJazz 04-04-2012 12:35 AM

Nice! i like the mk iv and v most. personally i wouldn't go for the pt cruiser, it just doesn't look the best in my eyes. but that's just me :)

Vash 04-04-2012 12:39 AM

they still make PT Cruisers? i would get a VW or wait until those BRZ's or FR-S's to come out... if i had to get a car RIGHT now it would be those 2.

Hondafrk 04-04-2012 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamy (Post 1088117)
I recommend against the PT. They fall apart quickly.. Chrysler isn't known for quality.

While I agree with the Chrysler statement, I disagree about them falling apart quickly. My parents have owned their '01 since new & it has been a great car, has over 130k miles with no major unplanned maintenance. Many many long trips have been made in it, has done great every time.

Besides the PT having more power, it has nothing more on the Fit. May have slightly more cargo room, but the Fit is a better vehicle overall. I would reconsider the PT Cruiser.

They aren't made anymore for the record.

Jamy 04-04-2012 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 1088122)
they still make PT Cruisers? i would get a VW or wait until those BRZ's or FR-S's to come out... if i had to get a car RIGHT now it would be those 2.

When that thing comes out you better be getting one as much as you push them! Lmfao :rotfl:

Originally Posted by Hondafrk (Post 1088123)
While I agree with the Chrysler statement, I disagree about them falling apart quickly. My parents have owned their '01 since new & it has been a great car, has over 130k miles with no major unplanned maintenance. Many many long trips have been made in it, has done great every time.

Besides the PT having more power, it has nothing more on the Fit. May have slightly more cargo room, but the Fit is a better vehicle overall. I would reconsider the PT Cruiser.

I'm impressed. The only ones i've ever been in looked like crap on the inside and ran like crap. I don't think they have more interior room than the fit though.

Vash 04-04-2012 01:22 AM

yeah PT cruisers are one of the few cars you see often that you can hear having transmissions problems... like not hear from word of mouth.. but hear like literally hear them drive by with crazy squealing sounds like theres a throw-out bearing problem...

HondabRiTT 04-04-2012 03:09 AM

I don't care for PT's at all but it's whatever YOU like. I must agree with some others though. The next step up would be a GTI for me.

krunk13 04-04-2012 08:49 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y...Hk/s521/vw.png

Hondafrk 04-04-2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jamy (Post 1088124)
I'm impressed. The only ones i've ever been in looked like crap on the inside and ran like crap. I don't think they have more interior room than the fit though.

They have a lot of room inside, I know that. Whether its more or less than the Fit, I don't know. They'll both haul a lot though. My parent's is a manual so maybe the manual trans holds up better. Still on the original clutch too.

ThEvil0nE 04-04-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by LeAJazz (Post 1088114)
a golf gti?

make that a TDI

Originally Posted by Jamy (Post 1088117)
Great car! My friend just bought one and he loves it. Gets 52 mpg Average on the interstate at 75-85 mph. Plenty of torque for take off and passing.

^^^this!!!

LittleMissE 04-04-2012 10:09 AM

I have looked at the GTIs and while I have always liked them...I am not finding one I want right now. I am not buying new...can't find any 4 doors except one that needs motor work and I don't want to deal with that.

Personally I think the Fit probably has more room then the PT.

The whole parts breaking thing is the reason I am staying completely away from the 03' PT GT. And the transmissions aren't the best in the PT Cruisers that is why I want a manual and still the manuals aren't that strong(I really don't know why they didn't do the same set up as the SRT-4 when it came to the manual transmission, probably didn't fit the same as was with the intake and a couple other things.)

Whatever it get will be my daily driver. I think the major reason I like the PT Cruiser GT is that I know people that can work on it...and it is a sleeper car, nobody will expect it to be "fast" (fast in quotes because I hang out with stage 3 SRT-4s and won't be anywhere near them)

LittleMissE 04-04-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hondafrk (Post 1088123)

The 01' is a non-turbo...So, I believe they are pretty good when it comes to not breaking things. So that is a good thing. But I won't own anything but a PT Cruiser GT. So, good luck to me. Just like with any brand of car some people hate'em some people love them.

Even though I like VWs I know people that have had problems with them as well...throughout the years across the board of the different models. I don't know anybody that is good working on the VWs...and I know people that can work on this PT Cruiser motor.

Howdy 04-04-2012 03:55 PM

The PT Cruiser GT would be nice with a manual. It's an SRT-4 in disguise. LOL.

krunk13 04-04-2012 03:58 PM

Mazdaspeed 3 FTW

LittleMissE 04-04-2012 04:01 PM

Howdy- that is the main reason I want to get it. I am going to look at the manual one first. Hopefully I can get them to come down on there price.

Krunk 13- I don't have the cash for those or I would probably get one.

This car is going to be cash money paid off. No payments

rays 04-04-2012 04:01 PM

EVO 9 or a 10

kenchan 04-04-2012 04:41 PM

actually PT cruisers aren't half bad as everyone thinks... well, imo. hertz gave me one (AT ofcourse) during one of my biz trips and the car actually drove pretty well vs other pos cars like yaris, cobalt, sedona's, mazda3, etc.

with that said, i would look at GTI's for sure if you're looking for a practical hatch with zip. or the MINI's.