Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking about buying a CRX.. Need some advice on what to look for (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/72567-thinking-about-buying-crx-need-some-advice-what-look.html)

Theos92vr4 06-17-2012 01:51 PM

Thinking about buying a CRX.. Need some advice on what to look for

Ive always wanted a crx, and found one local to me for sale. Its been sitting in the woods with a for sale sign on it , for what my friend has said months (i didnt even notice it until last night, and I drive the road everyday) It looks to be a DX. It is automatic (unfortunantly) and it says it needs engine work. Looks to have 150,000 miles on it. None of those things matter to me though because I am going to swap the engine and trans. The body is what really makes me want it.. It has VERY LITTLE rust, and one fender has a dent... thats it. and it s a 91.

So what should I look for if I go to buy this car? I dont really care about the mechanicals, just wondering where else to look for rust. He wants $1500 for it... WAY TOO MUCH. But its been sitting atleast 6 months. So Im hoping i could get him down to around $750 $800, which seems fair seeing that shells by me are going for around that. So what would be a fair offer?

thanks guys!

eurobeaner 06-17-2012 02:18 PM

Rust rust rust.

Also, dx will be a dpfi to mpfi conversion to get it to work with a swap. Otherwise, crx's are highly desirable and go for a lot more than they are "worth" because it's hard to find unmolested, un rusted, straight examples anymore. Example:::: ive seen a few clean 200k+ mile crx's on eBay for $5,000+. Crazy

Cat 06-17-2012 07:29 PM

As above watch and look for rust - where it is located and how bad. Frames are another thing to look for and if you can have it on a lift to really look at what is underneath even better. Let us see pictures if you decide to do it!

Theos92vr4 06-17-2012 09:12 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Im going to wait a few more weeks and let the car sit a little longer.. Hopefully no one picks it up. But yes, its 100% stock, no mods, possibly original owner as well

bmxman 06-18-2012 12:15 PM

If you can test it for water leaks. I mainly buy/sell/drive 90 Honda's and damn near every single model will have leaks of some sort. Some are easy to fix and others are expensive. Just keep in mind that most of the seals will be 15-20 years old so take your time during inspection. Also test the climate controls. Do all fan speeds work? Does the AC run cold? How about the heater? Like I said earlier some are easy cheap fixes and others will cost a lot more compared what the car is actually worth.

Theos92vr4 06-24-2012 09:02 PM

Well I talked to the guy and he is firm on the $1500. Car is a DX, automatic with 207k miles. A/C is bad, interior is covered in dog hair, and the drivers seat is ripped. Deffinently not worth it

Theos92vr4 07-19-2012 11:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Welcome home :)

Attachment 24700
Attachment 24701
Attachment 24702
Attachment 24703

Guy called me back a few weeks ago and said he was willing to do the deal at the price I wanted to pay. So I picked her up 3 days later

True Adrian 07-20-2012 08:43 PM

anyone in the North west looking for a CRX?

Chad T 07-21-2012 11:31 AM

That looks pretty solid! Nice buy.