Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Just drove a Focus ST! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/73181-just-drove-focus-st.html)

fujisawa 07-21-2012 02:47 PM

Just drove a Focus ST!

Ford is doing some autocross events around the country where they set up a course and let you tear around in STs. Not to your heart's content - two laps each, in both a practice and a timed course - but it was fun.

I only did the practice section, which sounds lame until you realize I had to wait for an hour to get my two minutes' driving and there was more waiting for the timed course; I mostly was interested in the car rather than honing track skills or anything. However it's nice to drive the tread off someone else's tires, hehe.

So my initial impressions of the car are, first of all, clearly it's a quick car. This isn't the type of car where you are going to end up going "WOW that's power"; it's not a light car. But you definitely will not be dissatisfied with it either, especially with an overboost mode under full power.

Aside from that, drives pretttty much like most any FWD car I've driven. It has a largish engine hanging far beyond the front wheels, a standard for packaging/crash test reasons. As a result understeer is the rule of the day - the suspension is more than willing to change direction on a dime without extra body roll, but the front plows frustratingly. I consistently found myself placing the car exactly where I wanted it, but scrubbing off speed every time. Stability control brings the car around fine, but that slows the pace too.

Interior quality is quite high - like most Fords the cars are now feeling very Germanic - but space is snug and there isn't enough arm room around the shifter.

In all I think it's a good one for speed demons and a certain young male demographic, but I think a more fun car on a daily basis would be something lighter and slower. A better track day car would be something older and modified. The Ford may actually be a victim of its own competence - it's so capable you don't quite notice it. For someone looking for a performance car they can use everyday for wee kids and groceries, and one that is extremely solid and planted under all conditions, I think it would be rare to find this combination for less money. So if that is what you're looking for, it's a great value at $24,500.

zilla8 07-21-2012 11:16 PM

Good info thanks for sharing.I really wish we got the RS but I doubt that will happen.

I like the Fiesta ST better but the Focus sounds like a fun package for the money.

cjecpa 07-22-2012 12:01 AM

I was looking to buy one before I got the fit. I actually had dealer quotes for the package #2 list $26,880 for around $25,000. But the wife kind of kill it worry about getting tickets. Ford had nation wide events to drive the cars but the East coast events were sold out.

Kind of hope the Fiesta ST makes here so maybe Honda would do a SI Fit.

zilla8 07-22-2012 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this awhile back here in Socal at Galpin Ford private collection

Attachment 24648

cjecpa 07-22-2012 03:54 PM

It is too bad the USA will not get a two door version.

KCTitan 07-22-2012 06:08 PM

I sincerely wish Honda would make a Fit Si. I would be there with $10,000 cash and my 2012 to trade-in. Lol

cjecpa 07-22-2012 08:19 PM

Mugen wanted to build a version in England with a supercharged cr-z engine rated at 197hp. I would buy it figuring it would most likely have 4 disc brake, sport suspension, 6 speed manual to have a warranty and performance.