Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Unneeded deposit? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/73457-unneeded-deposit.html)

fujisawa 08-03-2012 12:36 PM

Unneeded deposit?

So when I bought my Fit two months ago the dealer took my credit card and ran a $500 deposit on the car. He said this would be refunded after the deal closed, ie after I traded in my car and received financing and picked up the new car.

I think you can see where this is going. I see the charge for $500 but not the reversal later. My sales price comprises the trade in of $9500 and the loan of $10400 or so; there's nothing in the contract about any additional $500 needed.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this occur to them or a friend and what the resolution is. This dealership actually has a reputation for being relatively upstanding so I suspect it's just a mistake, and yes I KNOW my next step is to call them but I have not been able to reach the guy yet and my job makes it tough during working hours - I will get them eventually.

Any advice is helpful :)

ReeSpeed 08-03-2012 12:54 PM

Did you get a receipt for said deposit?

fujisawa 08-03-2012 01:21 PM

I do not think so, but a charge on the card record from "bernardi honda" is acceptable proof :)

FitStir 08-03-2012 01:26 PM

When I "ordered" my 2009 Fit Sport w/Navi I was told since they'd have to request/order it that by putting a $1000 deposit down on the sale it would assure I'd get the model I wanted.

It took 4 months, and just as my car was arriving at the dealership I was told to come in and finalize the sale. They took my $1000 deposit off the total price of the car (before taxes, etc.).

I'm thinking they forgot to deduct your deposit.

NoelMayer 08-23-2012 02:29 AM

They took my $1000 deposit off the total price of the car (before taxes, etc.).

NIGHTHAWKSI 08-23-2012 07:05 AM

you should of asked them to put that $500 towards your down payment. since the sale is now done...2 months ago....you now need to go and ask them to reverse it. make sure you have all your loan paperwork so they dont try and tell you it was applied to the cost of teh car.

Schoat333 08-23-2012 08:11 AM

I had to call my dealer, and ask for my deposit to be reversed. They did it that day.

fujisawa 08-23-2012 10:51 AM

It was a no-cash deal (tradein) so there was no need to apply it to the cost of the car. I asked the dealer to reverse it and they agreed they would do that. Supposedly (talked to the guy today) they put it through yesterday - I haven't seen the reverse charge yet, but he claimed he has mailed me the receipt for the reversal of charge SO hopefully that is the case!

It's really annoying I have to spend, at this point, probably like 10 hours dealing with this issue. But of course $500 is a fair amount of money.

kenchan 08-23-2012 11:37 AM

usually dealers will take a check and hold onto it (without cashing) until the car comes in and you take delivery of the car.

in my case i didn't have a ride back from the dealer to bring the new car home, so i asked the dealer to charge max on my credit card they would allow so i collect milage from United. they gave me an invoice for the car showing the amount i already paid (deposit). i brought a check the next day to pay for the rest and took delivery.