Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Hyundai & Kia Lied (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/75108-hyundai-kia-lied.html)

david223 11-04-2012 08:25 PM

Hyundai & Kia Lied

Hyundai and Kia got caught lying about they're great gas mileage. I'll try to post a link, I hope it works.

Hyundai and Kia Acknowledge Overstating the Gas Mileage of Vehicles - NYTimes.com

fujisawa 11-04-2012 08:34 PM

Unfortunately the penalty is a bit weak. What incentive do they have to not do it again?

kenchan 11-05-2012 04:45 PM

the only things going for them was cheap and cheap to run.

that's going to be an expensive blow to their company image. maybe their elephant can scold them by saying 'bad' in korean now.

Wafulz 11-05-2012 04:48 PM

Hahahah thats right!!! :) honda!

Ursenay 11-05-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by david223 (Post 1143956)
Hyundai and Kia got caught lying about they're great gas mileage.

Hope they're working on their grammar there. Isn't English *fun*? :)

Subie 11-05-2012 09:56 PM

Yup, the news caught my attention too. 40 mpg was definitely an attention-getter.

SilverBullet 11-05-2012 11:13 PM

The engineers forgot they used ethanol free gas in their tests so when e10 is used the mpg fell. The test fuel was probably high octane too and done in a controlled environment which in the real world their data does not even come close.

Honda seems to underestimate their mpg. I've alway got better mpg than what they said. You also can't predict how people drive the vehicle too.

Schoat333 11-06-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBullet (Post 1144230)
The engineers forgot they used ethanol free gas in their tests so when e10 is used the mpg fell. The test fuel was probably high octane too and done in a controlled environment which in the real world their data does not even come close.

Honda seems to underestimate their mpg. I've alway got better mpg than what they said. You also can't predict how people drive the vehicle too.

That sounds about right. They wanted to use the market ploy about how many of their vehicles get over 40mpg, so they had to do whatever they could to make it happen.

Honda definitely underestimates their mpg. My window sticker said 35 mpg highway, and I have never gotten under 36 with a mix of hwy and city.

Type 100 11-06-2012 09:55 AM

I had noticed the discrepancy when Motor Trend had their long-term Elantra for a few months and couldn't seem to break 28 mpg despite their best efforts.

Granted, you can't always account for how people are going to drive a certain car...but I usually take fuel-efficiency ratings with a shaker of salt. The only thing that seems new or even worrying about the Hyundai/Kia "fiasco" is that someone cocked up the test procedures, willingly or otherwise.

Kirkuleez 11-06-2012 10:28 AM

There are other manufacturers vehicles that don't measure up in fuel economy on all their vehicles as well, so maybe they should look at those to if they're going to pursue it. One example at least from what I've read is the new Subaru Impreza's average mpg's seem to often be hovering much closer to the city estimates which is upper 20's. yet it's rated at 27 city and 36 highway i believe.

Schoat333 11-06-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kirkuleez (Post 1144287)
There are other manufacturers vehicles that don't measure up in fuel economy on all their vehicles as well, so maybe they should look at those to if they're going to pursue it. One example at least from what I've read is the new Subaru Impreza's average mpg's seem to often be hovering much closer to the city estimates which is upper 20's. yet it's rated at 27 city and 36 highway i believe.

That seems to be the case with any AWD vehicle I have driven. I'm wondering what scenario they got 36mpg with?

Don Nik 11-06-2012 02:03 PM

I don't get the big fuss. Lots of other automakers are guilty of this. Every new car I've owned thus far doesn't nearly touch the estimated MPG ratings posted on the car pre-sale. IMO, with the amounting of driving my fiance and I do, doesn't really matter anyways. Just as long as the car is reliable and gets CLOSE to decent MPG, we're fine. Hell, MY Mazdapseed 3 gets better MPG than my Fit, however my Fit is cheaper to fill up lol! In the end, if you're REALLY depending on that *estimated* MPG rating, you're pwning yourself from the start.

kenchan 11-06-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Don Nik (Post 1144335)
MY Mazdapseed 3 gets better MPG than my Fit, however my Fit is cheaper to fill up lol!

hahaha that's a funny.

fujisawa 11-06-2012 03:31 PM

The Impreza MPG estimate has looked fishy to me for a while. I won't be surprised if they catch them out for the same thing. However, they DID just design a new engine family for it, with DI, and downsized by 20% to a 2.0, so it could be legit - the car is supposedly quite slow now..

Don Nik 11-06-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1144353)
hahaha that's a funny.

HOLY TYPO BATMAN lol. Mazdaspeed NOT Mazdapseed lol.

JAZZdatFIT 11-07-2012 03:33 AM

my friend owns a hyundai, he said that hyundai is paying him for the extra gas he is spending lol

kenchan 11-07-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JAZZdatFIT (Post 1144468)
my friend owns a hyundai, he said that hyundai is paying him for the extra gas he is spending lol

are they paying for the car's extra ugliness too?

doctordoom 11-07-2012 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1144536)
are they paying for the car's extra ugliness too?

Of course, all manufacturers do this.

Wanderer. 11-07-2012 09:14 PM

In for results of class action lawsuit.

xTravisxEdgex 11-07-2012 09:42 PM

honda > everyone. haha
damn that sucks. as big of a blow this could end up being for them, I'm sure they'll only get better for it (hopefully) and back it up with some cars that actually get crazy mileage

irev210 11-23-2012 12:45 PM

I can't believe how off they were with the Kia Soul.

Just ridiculous.

Clarence 12-07-2012 05:06 AM

if you are true in your words then i will surely purchase any car of hyundai this will benefit me by paying. not only me but many of the new users will come into hyundai car section

cjecpa 12-07-2012 09:34 AM

You had to figure the 40mpg on all the other makes and models was pie in the the sky. If you look at Consumer Reports best fuel efficiency cars The most fuel-efficient cars | Consumer Reports

There is really only three cars that average 1 mpg better then the Fit you would think with all the cars claiming 40mpg highway there would be more gas vehicles ahead of the fit.

AdvansCPAP 12-07-2012 01:59 PM

Makes me wonder what lies they have gotten away with in the past

Subie 12-07-2012 02:04 PM

It's called "Marketing" and "Sales"...

Btrthnezr3 12-07-2012 03:46 PM

Just commenting on this because a few people brought it up...Weird that so many (as mentioned here and other places) have a tough time achieving estimated mpgs in their subarus. My WRX sticker states 19/25 and I'm consistently getting 24 calculated. My commute is 15 miles round trip so hmmm... Idk.

Subie 12-07-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3 (Post 1150722)
Just commenting on this because a few people brought it up...Weird that so many (as mentioned here and other places) have a tough time achieving estimated mpgs in their subarus. My WRX sticker states 19/25 and I'm consistently getting 24 calculated. My commute is 15 miles round trip so hmmm... Idk.

I average about 23/24 (never the speed limit) with my '02 Rex as well. :-) The new Imprezas are supposed to ave. low 30s'.

dennison 12-20-2012 09:01 AM

Seriously? They gotta pay me then!

Santiad 12-20-2012 10:11 AM

they all do

Read somewhere that some manufactuers dont even have to test or show test results. An estimated epa is when they put out what they feel it should return in MPG's based on:

-engine size
-past iterations of engines
-modifications to engines (direct injection) to raise mpg's

Given the way the tests are, its no revelation that so many fail to reach the high end of their estimates but instead are a few above the city mileage.

I had an elantra for a month while my fit was in the shop and I ranged from 19-27 with 25 being the average. I drove about 1000 miles (good old enterprise) under all types of conditions.

I rarely get over 27 mpg in my fit...though I own up to it given the way I drive and the fact I load the car up all the time.

Love my fit but needs to be about 3 inches wider with better seats...since Honda routinely fails to bring over a hatchback civic thereby limiting my choices to the Fit or the CRV, I guess I'll be taking a closer look at either:

Impreza
Elantra GT (better standard features for price)

I find it a shame that Honda can get so much right then just ignore the consumer the rest of the way...

fujisawa 12-20-2012 02:07 PM

The Fit's not really "designed for the US", is the issue. In other parts of the world it's considered a family hatch. Here it's just slotted into the subcompact section as a filler; they have to offer something cheaply and luckily it's pretty good. But yes, between the Fit and the CRV there's room for another hatch in the lineup, if you ask me.

Personally? Accord wagon.

mrnoyb 12-20-2012 03:33 PM

You just had to know that claims of 40 mpg averages were out of whack. Owners who based buying decisions on inaccurate mileage estimates may have purchased different vehicles otherwise.

I agree that Honda seems to understate their fuel economy statistics and consistently exceed owner expectations.

cjecpa 12-20-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mrnoyb (Post 1153118)
You just had to know that claims of 40 mpg averages were out of whack. Owners who based buying decisions on inaccurate mileage estimates may have purchased different vehicles otherwise.

That is because you get articles like this one that do not use real world numbers only the car's ratings Next-Gen 2015 Honda Fit Getting More Efficient DI Engine, CVT

I wonder that this article states the next generation fit would accelerate 15-percent quicker than today's engine with the five-speed automatic what about the manual?

Mini_Odyssey 01-14-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBullet (Post 1144230)

What is weird to me is how Honda got 27/33 with the fit, in order for me to get those mpg id have to drive in 4th gear on the freeway and lock out the overdrive or drive at WOT up the canyons. Lowest MPG ive gotten so far was 35.7mpg and that's with a 650lbs of Costco water and a 145lb passenger.