Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself" - Ferdinand Porsche

I bought my 964 when I was 20 years old. Probably not the best financial decision at the time, but I did it anyways. I knew nothing about Porsches, but after one test drive, I knew that this 964 had to be mine. Since then, there have been several times that I have come close to selling my 964. Whether the reason was due to lack of resources or not enough time to build and restore my 964 into the car that I had hoped and imagined it would be. However, luckily, I never went through with selling my 964, as it would have probably been my single biggest automotive decision that I would have regretted making. It's now or never.

I like Porsches, I like American V8s, and I like race cars. What am I alluding to?
Well, to simply put it, I will be taking my Porsche 964 and putting a Chevy LS based engine into it with the overall end results of a streetable race car. Because what fun, really, is a car that can't be driven whenever you wanted to.

However, to me speed is only one part of the equation. The car's going to take on styling cues of a race car from the exterior, but have a relatively tolerable and factory-esque interior, aside from a few various interior race bits here and there. I like to think of it as a wolf in wolf's clothing. Sounds wrong in every way? Sounds perfect to me. Speed, handling, styling, and comfort. The best part about building a car how you want it is that there is no bad part.

Why? I will only answer this question once. Because.

No fancy tools, no fancy garage, no team of engineers. One man, one car, and countless hours spent doing research. I will be doing as much of the fabrication myself as possible, from building the engine mounts to redoing all of the leather work on the interior.

I can go into details and tell you all of my plans and ideas for the car, but what fun would that be if I told you everything upfront and didn't leave a little bit of mystery to it. As I was always taught, show, not tell. You'll just have to tune in and watch as the progress goes along.

I am not trying to build the best car in the world, but to build my perfect car, which to me makes it the best car in the world.

Smiley face,
Don Nguyen

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
This is how the car looked like when I first bought it. These pictures were actually taken from the original ad that were used by the previous owner. Funny thing is, I actually did not remember saving these pictures, but I randomly happen to stumble across them the other day when looking for something else.

It took me only one week of searching to find my 964 and it took me only one more week after that before I put in an order for a set of coilovers for my car. I figured why wait to buy them, when I could buy them now and enjoy it right away.

This is ultimately what the car last looked like before I decided to put it up on jack stands and start the reconstruction process. Keep in mind, all of these pictures that I have posted thus far, including this one, are from over a span of several several years.

As of yesterday, this is how the car looked like. I actually had started taking the car apart before I decided that I would take pictures and document my build. I was never really one to start or have any detailed build threads for any of my other project cars, but I felt like this is one that I would share the process and progress as it goes along with you guys.

-Don

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 02-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
I have seen a few Porsche v8 builds usually Renegade Hybrids Renegade Hybrids good luck.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Soooooo .. I don't think I could improve on the original Mr Porsche's engineering (the car you have is not very far removed mechanically from the first ones, except the engine).

BUT your quote gets many props from me. YOUR perfect sports car is something I want to see. If it's 1/10 as successful as Porsche's endeavor that'll really be something!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice!! A lifetime love affair too if you're not careful. She'll eat you alive. :)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Soooooo .. I don't think I could improve on the original Mr Porsche's engineering (the car you have is not very far removed mechanically from the first ones, except the engine).

BUT your quote gets many props from me. YOUR perfect sports car is something I want to see. If it's 1/10 as successful as Porsche's endeavor that'll really be something!
That isn't going to happen.. if it did the auto world would be knocking his door down. But I think he will have a lot of fun.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I can only see one pic of the interior :(

Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed! Wtf happened to the smileys on the side??

Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa

Originally Posted by doane2u
That isn't going to happen.. if it did the auto world would be knocking his door down. But I think he will have a lot of fun.
Not trying to be revolutionary. Just building a car the way I would have ordered it if I was given the same options from the factory. Specialty cars are usually limited to super car manufacturers and not car manufacturers that produces cars more for mass consumption.

Originally Posted by mike410b
I can only see one pic of the interior :(
That's weird. It works for me.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Works for me now, looks cool!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Completely took the dash apart/out and removed some more of the sound deadening/padding. I am going to try and remove as much as I can before relaying new padding down.

Not sure what would work best, so I'll take any suggestions if anyone has any experience with this. I've read/heard that closed cell foam padding was a good option.

Pile of misc parts and wires that were removed.

One of the other reasons why I wanted to go through the whole car, which was to find any rust spots that would be developing such as what I found here around the rear quarter windows.

Not sure if this was like this from the factory, but it seems like someone's removed these before and used 3M double sided tape to put these trim pieces back on. With older cars, you never know where someone before you could gone/been through before. I will most likely be using the 993 window seal for the rear quarter windows, which will delete the need for that trim piece that was removed.

I originally thought that I wanted to run 993 door panels, so I bought a set with the hi-fi sound package in them. However, I may end up just reupholstering the original 964 door panels and using those. I kind of like the pattern that's on the 964 door panels. We will see. If I do run the 993 door panels, I won't be using the hi-fi speakers, so I can get the small door pockets back

Random shots of the engine bay and car as it sits now.

-Don

Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a picture that I pulled off of my instagram, @don__nguyen with double underscores in between the name, for those that use it and if you want to follow me for miscellaneous updates. Sometimes I don't get around to posting all of my updates/pictures on the forums, since it's easier for to just upload directly to a source such as instagram.

Bought a used short block, so naturally I had to take it all apart to check and make sure everything was ok. I am going to go ahead and get the cylinders bored out slightly bigger, oversized forged pistons to match the new bore of the block/cylinder once it gets machine, get the crank cleaned up and get new bearings (con rod, cam, and mains).

-Don

Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
What CID/Cam/Heads/CR?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
What CID/Cam/Heads/CR?
I won't be providing those exact details just yet.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
What year is the Porsche?

looking forward to reading your updates.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
1992, Carrera 4.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
C4.... beautiful car!!!!

Are you planning on keeping the 4wd?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
oh hell yes! this looks awesome!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Did not really get any further progress on the Porsche this weekend. Instead, I chose to autocross my E70 X5 with the BMW CCA group. Gotta make sure all of the tools in the shed are sharp. There were a total of 13 cars in my class, I came in 5th. Got beat by three turbo charged 135//335s by about a second and lost out to first place (2013 335i) by 3.5 seconds on a ~60-65 seconds length course.

Here's a video of my run. The video was kind of quickly put together. It's been a long while since I last did any sort of video editing. It was also my first time using my new gopro hero 3s to shoot video with.

That's not to say I don't have any pictures of my Porsche that I can't share with you guys though. Nothing special, but at least it gives you something to look at.

This picture is from at least 4 years ago when I was first test fitting wheels on my widebody E36 M3 and for fun I put the wheel next to my Porsche to see what it would look like.

Here's a more recent picture of a different, but similarly sized wheel on my Porsche, to gauge roughly how far out my flares are going to have to be.

-Don

Quick Reply: Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build