Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Honda Fit last exciting car from Honda? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/78366-honda-fit-last-exciting-car-honda.html)

Shora 06-11-2013 11:08 PM

Honda Fit last exciting car from Honda?

I'm in the market for a new car and Honda has NOTHING interesting.

The fit is not only made in Japan but is also built and designed so well.

It is a blast to drive and mod (if your still into that).

However, I bought my first fit (2009 base) in late 2008. I've been driving fits for about 5 years and now that I am looking to replace one, there is nothing at the Honda dealer that is exciting at all.

Is the 2013 a great little sedan? Yup. However, it's still boring.

Is the 2013 accord amazing for what it is? Yes. Still boring.

Crv....boring.

Plz, don't even mention anything hybrid. Not interested at all.

The only thing even remotely interesting/ quricky is the Ridgeline, but it's so dated at this point that its.....well you know....boring.

Goodness, I just wanted something that's fun and doesn't have the boring vib of a sedan.

Right now Honda is just building reliable and safe vehicles, but nothing exciting for the driver.

I actually checked out the 2013 fit and the only difference between it and my 2009 and 2010 fits is different styled rims, deeper bin under the stereo, and different rear seat head rests. Basically, 100% the same car I've been driving since 2008.

I love my Hondas, and they have treated me so well in every aspect, but looks like I may have to jump ship as I cannot wait to see what the 2014 Mexican Fit brings to the table.

What a shame.

JeffChap 06-12-2013 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the same problem. My '09 Sport got totaled in a hailstorm in April, and I just don't like the blacked out headlights and black dash trim in the '13s. I test drove a Civic Si, but it just had no soul.

So I took the insurance money and bought this for just a couple grand more than the Civic. This is the first non-Honda automobile I've purchased in over 25 years. But so far, no complaints. In fact, I'm loving it. I just wish Honda put out something to compete with it. Maybe in a few years they'll resurrect the S2000.

Attachment 19110

Shora 06-12-2013 01:54 AM

Sweet fr-s.

To be honest, I would love a BRZ and followed it for maybe 6 months before release until 6 months after.

If they were even available to buy, I would have had one no doubt. I went to all 3 Subie dealers with in 75 miles of me and not a single one would even discuss selling one to me. They had lines and preorders to more BRZs than they would be allocated for the year. So I gave up.

Sometime later, I found out that the whole engine needs to be removed just to change the spark plugs and I knew that there were just too many compromises for me to have it.

As a second car, I cannot think of a better car than a BRZ/ FR-S, but for me it just wasn't practicle at all.

Just pure lust.

Honda hasn't made me feel that way since the GE Fit and now, while not looking at the BRZ, I'm definitely looking at Subies offerings.

They still got some quirk to them that Honda lost. Grrrrr

xxryu139xx 06-12-2013 01:57 AM

same here. the subaru dealer i went to said that he had a huge list of people waiting for his 2 car monthly shipments, and i'd have to put a deposit down to get in line. he said maybe by november i will get mine. i said f it and went to the honda dealer and get my fit that was in april. september i get a call, if i was still interested. i'm like naw i already bought another car.

JeffChap 06-12-2013 07:34 AM

Yes, it's far from practical to be sure. But my wife drives an Odyssey and my daughter has a Civic sedan, so we have plenty of practical choices if we need to take the entire family somewhere. We've actually gotten all 4 of us in the FR-S, but my son is only 7, so he doesn't need much legroom. In a couple more years, it'll be a problem for him to get in the back. It's a 4 seat car in name only, really.

You should still go take one for a test drive if you can find one. It's the epitome of fun. Think Fit with even better handling and twice the horsepower. Just leave your checkbook home if you do.

Cutriss 06-12-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shora (Post 1186691)
Plz, don't even mention anything hybrid. Not interested at all.

Don't discount it so readily. The CR-Z may be in a weird place now, I would not be surprised if the CR-Z gets a full re-do very soon. I was a big fan of the CRX and even having read the middling reviews of the CR-Z, I still wanted to try one out myself before I ended up buying my Fit. It was a fun car to drive and it has potential, but there were just too many aesthetic/ergonomic compromises. I'd hit my head getting in every time, and that never happened on my 318ti.

I love my Fit, but whenever Kimiko struggles in 1st, I wonder if I made the right choice to get a 4-door.

Considering what we're hearing about the power in the Fit-EV, I'm just kinda crossing my fingers that when I'm ready to buy my next car, maybe there will be a CR-Z-EV or some other amalgamation of letters to give me the little coupe that could.

cjecpa 06-12-2013 10:01 AM

It is tough finding any reasonable price car that is exciting. I looked at a lot of cars before buying my Fit such as the GTI Focus ST, VW Sportwagen TDI, CX-5, Mazda3 and the new Impreza. Each one was lacking something either premium gas, reliability, maintenance cost (since I can put upwards of 30k on a car in a year) or I was just not excited about the looks. A two door rear drive sports car up here is a seasonal car not a daily driver.

I just wanted something in a hatchback, reliable, good gas mileage, manual and fun to drive the Fit seem to cover all these plus inexpensive.

Wanderer. 06-12-2013 01:59 PM

Yes, the Fit is the last exciting car from Honda. The rest are copies of copies of other makes. The formula is all screwed up and un-Honda.

mike410b 06-12-2013 02:47 PM

The brz has waits, the frs does not. The brz is brought in in limited supplies, not so with the frs. Go to your scion dealership and go drive one.

Cliff 06-12-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shora (Post 1186716)
Sometime later, I found out that the whole engine needs to be removed just to change the spark plugs and I knew that there were just too many compromises for me to have it.

And here I think it's lame that I have to lift the car to get to the oil filter (which sits right up at the top front of my E46 engine). The Japanese have some very strange ideas when it comes to engineering their cars.

The Fit is the only car in Honda's lineup that I like, too. I am waiting to see if VW does indeed bring the Golf GTD to the US. If they do, then I have a decision to make.

JeffChap 06-12-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1186789)
The brz has waits, the frs does not. The brz is brought in in limited supplies, not so with the frs. Go to your scion dealership and go drive one.

True, that's how I ended up with an FR-S. There was only 1 BRZ in all of Oklahoma City, and it was an automatic. Whereas there were about a dozen FR-S to choose from, and 3 or 4 of those were manuals.

kitkit201 06-12-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JeffChap (Post 1186796)
True, that's how I ended up with an FR-S. There was only 1 BRZ in all of Oklahoma City, and it was an automatic. Whereas there were about a dozen FR-S to choose from, and 3 or 4 of those were manuals.

Not to side track the post, but what are the difference sbetween the FRS and BRZ? Aren't they made from pretty much the same assembly line?

JeffChap 06-12-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by kitkit201 (Post 1186806)
Not to side track the post, but what are the difference sbetween the FRS and BRZ? Aren't they made from pretty much the same assembly line?

More options available for the BRZ (spoiler, leather seats) and upgraded standard features (nav, HIDs, climate control). The grill is slightly different, interior is a little nicer (although I prefer the Scion gauge cluster) and the suspension on the BRZ is tuned more towards understeer while the FR-S tends towards oversteer. BRZ runs about $2000 more.

kenchan 06-12-2013 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shora (Post 1186691)
I actually checked out the 2013 fit and the only difference between it and my 2009 and 2010 fits is different styled rims, deeper bin under the stereo, and different rear seat head rests. Basically, 100% the same car I've been driving since 2008.

I love my Hondas, and they have treated me so well in every aspect, but looks like I may have to jump ship as I cannot wait to see what the 2014 Mexican Fit brings to the table.

What a shame.

the 2012-2013 sport has more differences than wat you mentioned vs the earlier sport, but they are subtle. honestly if you already have a 2009 or 2010, just keep it and dont bother buying a 2012-2013.

i too feel the same way about honda's current offering.. the FitSport in 5MT is probably their most fun and practical car.

the new accord sedan looks good and comes in 6mt so that could be a car i might consider down the road.... but im not really a sedan guy so...

it is a shame.

mike410b 06-12-2013 05:48 PM

The new Accord is phenomenal. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Wanderer. 06-12-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1186815)
the new accord sedan looks good and comes in 6mt so that could be a car i might consider down the road.... but im not really a sedan guy so...

it is a shame.

Absolutely feel the same way. I love the new Accord, styling and all, but I don't think I could bring myself to drive one and actually LOVE the car. Maybe test drive would change my mind, idk.

ThEvil0nE 06-13-2013 02:40 AM

there's 4 brz on the lot where I bought my '13 impreza

ThEvil0nE 06-13-2013 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1186816)
The new Accord is phenomenal. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

after the breaking and eating of a valve on it's year and recent electrical problems I had with my '10 accord... I'm not going near any Hondas for the time being.

cjecpa 06-13-2013 09:18 AM

How do you like your Impreza compared to your Fit?

Shora 06-13-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JeffChap (Post 1186738)
Yes, it's far from practical to be sure. But my wife drives an Odyssey and my daughter has a Civic sedan, so we have plenty of practical choices if we need to take the entire family somewhere. We've actually gotten all 4 of us in the FR-S, but my son is only 7, so he doesn't need much legroom. In a couple more years, it'll be a problem for him to get in the back. It's a 4 seat car in name only, really.

You should still go take one for a test drive if you can find one. It's the epitome of fun. Think Fit with even better handling and twice the horsepower. Just leave your checkbook home if you do.

I gave up on the BRZ FRS because its too impracticle in general. For you, it's a daily with super easy access for other more practicle cars when needed.

Originally Posted by cjecpa (Post 1186748)
It is tough finding any reasonable price car that is exciting. I looked at a lot of cars before buying my Fit such as the GTI Focus ST, VW Sportwagen TDI, CX-5, Mazda3 and the new Impreza. Each one was lacking something either premium gas, reliability, maintenance cost (since I can put upwards of 30k on a car in a year) or I was just not excited about the looks. A two door rear drive sports car up here is a seasonal car not a daily driver.

I just wanted something in a hatchback, reliable, good gas mileage, manual and fun to drive the Fit seem to cover all these plus inexpensive.

Yup, that's why I bought 2 GE fits. Amazing cars and made me fall in love with Honda, but after 5 years of driving the same platform, it's time for a change. When I went to Honda, there was nothing interesting at alllll.

Originally Posted by Wanderer. (Post 1186782)
Yes, the Fit is the last exciting car from Honda. The rest are copies of copies of other makes. The formula is all screwed up and un-Honda.

I agree, the civic, accord and crv felt well designed and of high quality. Not cheap at all and kinda creative in small ways.

But every drive knows what I mean when I say that non of them have any soul and they have no character. I want a car that puts a smile on my face. One that makes me want to drive even when I have nowhere to go.

It's not about the numbers. How fast, how Eco friendly, it's about character.

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1186789)

No offense to anyone at all and while I even like the front end of the frs more and I hear very often that they handle a bit better in stock form, I cannot drive a scion. If they brought it in as a Toyota, no problem but it was a huge mistake in my book to bring it in as a scion. A car associated with cheap Eco boxes and no race, offload, track, or....basically no history at all. They care just simply known as being cheap cars targeting the young. I'm 31 and cannot show up any where in it. It's not that I'm snobby, remember I've been driving 2 fits for the last 5 years, it's simply that they are a brand that's done too little in the automotive world for me to support.

Originally Posted by Cliff (Post 1186795)
And here I think it's lame that I have to lift the car to get to the oil filter (which sits right up at the top front of my E46 engine). The Japanese have some very strange ideas when it comes to engineering their cars.

The Fit is the only car in Honda's lineup that I like, too. I am waiting to see if VW does indeed bring the Golf GTD to the US. If they do, then I have a decision to make.

Yup, strange but over all the fit is the easiest car to work on that I've ever had. Even though its an economy car, all the parts feel very well made and designed.

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1186815)
the 2012-2013 sport has more differences than wat you mentioned vs the earlier sport, but they are subtle. honestly if you already have a 2009 or 2010, just keep it and dont bother buying a 2012-2013.

i too feel the same way about honda's current offering.. the FitSport in 5MT is probably their most fun and practical car.

it is a shame.

Well, I only checked out the fit base. Not because that was what I was truly considering but because that's what was on the show room floor when I went to check out Hondas other offerings since I was in the market for a change of platforms. 5 years in 2 GEs, one base one sport, it was time to change things up a bit. I only wanted to change platforms and REALLY wanted another Honda but like most who posted here. Right now Honda has nothing exciting for the driver.

The 2013 accord looked so high class and so well made. It's super save too which is important, but I don't want to drive a huge sedan at this point in my life. No kids yet and just want something more fun then a car that unless you look super close at for details, just blends in and goes unnoticed.

A manual accord? Heeeecccckkkk nooooo. I never understood the fascination of driving a manual for the sake of driving a manual.

A manual is fun in small light cars. Agile cars. IMHO, nothing larger then a civic is fun with a manual. Especially not the 2013 accord sport that while is offered with a manual, has the turning radius of a Tahoe (or some other huge truck) as a result of its 18 inch wheel and front wheel drive layout.

Edit: please excuse all the typos....long posts on an ipad suck.