Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/80593-honda-introduces-new-iphone-driven-dash-touchscreen.html)

cjecpa 12-04-2013 04:31 PM

Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen

Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen

By Shane Cole
Japanese automaker Honda on Tuesday announced that the 2014 Civic and 2015 Fit will gain access to the company's new Display Audio system, a 7-inch built-in touchscreen with functionality partially powered by Apple's iPhone.

http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/1203-hondalink-1.jpg

Display Audio's HondaLink Navigation powered by an iPhone

Display Audio represents perhaps the deepest integration seen from any automaker between smartphones and in-vehicle infotainment systems. In addition to combining several now-standard phone-connected functions — like placing and receiving calls and messages over bluetooth — with a new pinch- and swipe-able touchscreen user interface, Display Audio acts as a "second screen" for Honda's suite of HondaLink apps.

The HondaLink suite consists of four apps: Connect, Navigation, Aha, and Launcher. Connect powers most of Display Audio's information search functionality, giving owners access to things like point-of-interest search, local weather, and maintenance reminders. Aha focuses on entertainment, providing access to internet radio — in addition to the built-in Pandora integration — podcasts, audiobooks, news, and Twitter and Facebook access.Display Audio will be available on the 2014 Honda Civic and 2015 Honda Fit

HondaLink's Navigation app is the most interesting of the group. Leveraging mapping data from Nokia, Navigation can be used outside of the vehicle to plan a trip, and the route can be displayed and edited on the Display Audio touchscreen, with turn-by-turn announcements routed through the vehicle's audio system once the user's iPhone is plugged in.

The touchscreen itself is a high-definition capacitive model measuring 7 inches diagonally, which Honda says is among the largest in its class. Display Audio will also integrate Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode, making the personal digital assistant a factory-installed option rather than the dealer-installed add-on Honda announced last month.

The Display Audio system is compatible with Apple's iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s, which connect to the vehicle via a special cable. While not a full implementation of Apple's iOS in the Car, Display Audio and the new HondaLink apps represent a significant leap forward in smartphone-vehicle integration.

1SickVeilsideZ 12-04-2013 04:57 PM

I guess that's one way apple will stay slightly ahead of android phones. Now if Apple would only introduce widgets and let you download stuff as easily as you can with a droid.

13fit 12-04-2013 06:15 PM

I think Android and Apple need to be seperated from integration into vehicles

MTLian 12-10-2013 01:34 AM

When are they finally gonna smarten up and let you use your ipad as a steering wheel?

Seriously though, I'm no marketing guru but hopefully this helps Honda. I, personally, am tired of all this car technology. Gimme a car with a steering wheel and some pedals for going and stopping and I'm happy. Nowadays, cars stop for you, park for you, make phone calls, bla bla bla. If you wanna impress me, make a car that gets 400hp and gets 35 MPG city! I'm sure it's possible with the right research.

I don't quite get this new concept though? So does that mean that the iPhone will be a secondary screen to the in dash? How will that be useful? Personally, I think the most badass thing would be to have the option of mirroring anything on your iPhone onto the onboard screen! However, that might pose a legal problem because by law, no DVD player or TV type screen can be installed in a way that it is viewable by the driver (obviously excludes gps type screens).

alexadam1212 12-19-2013 04:05 AM

sounds fun!

boxplayer 07-19-2014 01:33 PM

What is the "special cable" to connect the iPhone to mirror its screen on the Fit screen?