Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Other Car Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/)
-   -   Project: Type-S Trackday (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other-car-related-discussions/80882-project-type-s-trackday.html)

De36 01-04-2014 05:01 PM

Wanderer. 01-04-2014 05:26 PM

In because racecar.

swade 01-05-2014 04:34 AM

It's weird to me you're building a track car and using D2 coils...

mike410b 01-05-2014 10:08 AM

You've got quite a few parts on that list that for belong on a track car. I'll edit this list when on a computer.

mike410b 01-05-2014 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by De36 (Post 1217485)
I have been researching a new track day build and ended up with an 2003 Acura RSX Type-S for $3500 with 168,000 miles, the car needs TLC.

RSX Type-S (DC5 chassis 2002-2006) OEM run down:

Issue 1: DC5 has inherent flaws which cause issues on track, if you're a novice driver this shouldn't be a huge issue for the first few years.

Build Plan:
Fix:
-Stop Rust Spots
-Por 15 engine, engine bay, under car...
-Window Regulator
-Exterior trim falling off

Weight Loss:
-Corbeau Seats
-Strip interior
-Remove AC and heater system
-Remove Sunroof
-Remove cruise control
-And other odds and ends under hood

Corbeaus? Neither light nor 'nice.'

Rebuild Engine:
-New timing chain (they stretch on these cars)
-All new gaskets and fluids
-New Piston rings and rod bearings
-ARP Head Studs
-Skunk2 High Compression valves
-Blox Cams
-BWR Valve Springs
-Oil pump mod (high flow)
-RBC manifold (high flow manifold)
-Blox Throttle body
-Buddy Club Underdrive pulley set with AC delete
-Port and Polish Head
-Password JDM Thermal Intake Gasket
-Injen CAI
-DC Race Header
-Greddy Cat back
-Hondata Reflash
-Fidanza 8lbs Flywheel
-Exedy Clutch
-Energy Suspension Poly Motor Mounts
-New syncros in transmission

Blox Cams/Skunk2 Valves/BWR Valve Springs; very low quality parts, nothing I'd trust in my engine. Instead of wasting money on power mods, put in a higher final drive, keep that car up in the rev range at all times. Don't depend on a powerful K20, depend on a powerful driver behind the wheel.

Suspension:
-Hawk HPS Pads
-EBC Rotors
-D2 Coilovers
-BC Extended ball joints
-Gt Strut Tower Brace
-Eibach Sway Bars (non adjustable)
-Koing Feathers (just to get the car rolling)
-Falken Azenis RT-615K

D2 are junk. Spring rates are all wrong for the DC5/EP3, took me an eternity even to find them.

HPS are 'aggressive street' pads, by that, slightly more aggressive than OEM.

A strut tower brace is just wasted money, at least initially, as are the sway bars. Use those as tuning tools once you've established what kind of handling traits you're even looking for.

RT-615K are outdated/junk tyres. They also aren't even the cheapest extreme summer tyre.

My thoughts in bold.

13fit 01-05-2014 11:02 AM

I second avoiding blox and skunk2. Their quality control is questionable.

you will have the most fun with the Type R intake manifold, lightweight rims, and a tuning solution

After those things are done, figure out what areas need to be addressed.

I love having a bigass rear sway bar to get that car to rotate, but different strokes for different folks

De36 01-05-2014 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 13fit (Post 1217583)
I second avoiding blox and skunk2. Their quality control is questionable.

I have never used Blox products in the past. I'm surprised to hear you say that about Skunk2, I haven't had any issues with there product in the past. Is there a common problem or something you are talking about specifically?

The plan was to throw coilovers and a tire package at it this year, but the car is in need.

I am rebuilding the engine its at least burning oil and an exhaust leak. It has 168,000 miles and is on the original clutch....If that's any indication of what I will see when I have the head off.

I'm assuming worse case scenario. After market parts, in this case, are less expensive than OEM, it doesn't have to do with a "lack of power". I only want to do the job once. It's going to need a bit before it can be confidently driven on the track.

Wanderer. 01-05-2014 02:59 PM

Just replace the timing chain and fix the exhaust leak. Replace radiator hoses and radiator cap. Check for blown bushings and blown shocks, replace as needed. Change pads and rotors, brake fluid. Buy helmet and decent tires. Go HPDE. Decide where to go from there.

EDIT: clutch if it needs it.

13fit 01-05-2014 03:05 PM

Ive had several issues with a combo of skunk2 springs and their struts. The struts liked to fail with less then a few years on them, even with their own designed lowering springs.

Intake manifolds had a common issue of the water outlet from the head and the brake booster vacuum nipple coming off.

This stuff is from the D and B series setups. May not effect K setups.

I have seen a set of Skunk2 pro2 cams in a buddies B series recently, and they were pretty torn up in appearance (doing a valve adjustment at time)
They grabbed copper from the penny I dragged across. Its a sign that there are grooves worn in them.

PLEASE research your parts choices. If no one posted negativity or issues, by all means keep your list. But you said you want to do everything ONCE. Why bother with the cheap stuff? Kelford has you on the cams!!

De36 01-05-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer. (Post 1217611)
Just replace the timing chain and fix the exhaust leak. Replace radiator hoses and radiator cap. Check for blown bushings and blown shocks, replace as needed. Change pads and rotors, brake fluid. Buy helmet and decent tires. Go HPDE. Decide where to go from there.

EDIT: clutch if it needs it.

When I get a warm day, I'll start tearing in to it. Burning oil at 160k means the car wasnt maintained properly, I can only imagine what I'll find. It's a project car I have plenty of time and plenty of other cars to drive in the mean time.

I already have a helmet from auto xing and prior track experiences.

De36 01-05-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 13fit (Post 1217613)
Ive had several issues with a combo of skunk2 springs and their struts. The struts liked to fail with less then a few years on them, even with their own designed lowering springs.

Intake manifolds had a common issue of the water outlet from the head and the brake booster vacuum nipple coming off.

This stuff is from the D and B series setups. May not effect K setups.

I have seen a set of Skunk2 pro2 cams in a buddies B series recently, and they were pretty torn up in appearance (doing a valve adjustment at time)
They grabbed copper from the penny I dragged across. Its a sign that there are grooves worn in them.

PLEASE research your parts choices. If no one posted negativity or issues, by all means keep your list. But you said you want to do everything ONCE. Why bother with the cheap stuff? Kelford has you on the cams!!

I never used skunk2 suspension, they firstly an engine component company.

When companies start getting bigger, quality can go down. Ive seen this too many times. So the plating came off the cam lobes?

I came across kelford cams today actually, I'm pretty impressed from what I read.

Good read:Mother of all camshafts thread - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Wanderer. 01-05-2014 05:32 PM

So is this a dedicated track car?

I wouldn't run those Konig Feathers on track, this is coming from someone who has Konigs. If you want some knockoffs to run on track stick to slipstreams or their konig counterpart, I don't trust the small spoke knockoffs.

Hawk HPS are no good for track. Get HP+ at least. I faded HPS with less than half the power your K has.

Corbeaus are good for budget seats. If you get fixed back seats budget for a roll bar at least.

All the motor shit is whatever. I'd rather have a solid reliable OEM motor with a few bolt ons and KPro that I can beat on mercilessly than all that stuff unless I'm competing. But that's me and this is your build.

What is the goal of this car? I mean it's your car and I'm always happy to see track builds but just looking at your parts list I'm confused about the ultimate goal.

De36 01-06-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer. (Post 1217624)
So is this a dedicated track car?

I wouldn't run those Konig Feathers on track, this is coming from someone who has Konigs. If you want some knockoffs to run on track stick to slipstreams or their konig counterpart, I don't trust the small spoke knockoffs.

Hawk HPS are no good for track. Get HP+ at least. I faded HPS with less than half the power your K has.

Corbeaus are good for budget seats. If you get fixed back seats budget for a roll bar at least.

All the motor shit is whatever. I'd rather have a solid reliable OEM motor with a few bolt ons and KPro that I can beat on mercilessly than all that stuff unless I'm competing. But that's me and this is your build.

What is the goal of this car? I mean it's your car and I'm always happy to see track builds but just looking at your parts list I'm confused about the ultimate goal.

Yes, it is a dedicated track day car.

LOL. You are the first person to ask what the goal is. I was laughing at people "revising" my list without even asking the most basic question. That's why I took the build down from this thread and am not posting anymore updates.

The goal is to have a reliable track-day car (this isn't my first build or my first time racing, haha!). I can't put this car on the track in the condition it's in. It doesn't have to do with an "all motor setup" or hp, it needs a rebuild.

I would have loved to throw some RPF1 and Coil-overs at it and call it a day.

13fit 01-06-2014 08:17 PM

dammit, i wanna see an rsx build!!!

mike410b 01-06-2014 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by De36 (Post 1217766)
Yes, it is a dedicated track day car.

LOL. You are the first person to ask what the goal is. I was laughing at people "revising" my list without even asking the most basic question. That's why I took the build down from this thread and am not posting anymore updates.

The goal is to have a reliable track-day car (this isn't my first build or my first time racing, haha!). I can't put this car on the track in the condition it's in. It doesn't have to do with an "all motor setup" or hp, it needs a rebuild.

I would have loved to throw some RPF1 and Coil-overs at it and call it a day.

You want reliability but want to throw cheap/crap parts at it?

Google skunk2 cams k20a.org and you'll see why I don't recommend Skunk2/Blox/BWR (By the way, all three of those are the same parts, just different names).

But go ahead, do things your way, you're not a novice.

TPColgett 01-06-2014 08:58 PM

I have a local RSX-S that competes with me in AutoX. Competition is fierce but friendly and he is a great guy. Car has some handling quirks, but being FWD and a modern (heavy) Honda no real surprise. He found as far as suspension that Koni yellow + Ground Control sleeves really is unbeatable. We've also been talking a lot about the products from K-Tuned, they make a killer header and a nice "oval" exhaust that helps with clearance. Check em out :RSX Header

Hopefully you're still willing to share some of your build with us!

TPColgett 01-06-2014 09:02 PM

Oh, and no clue what the rebuild costs are, but used pallet motors from a reliable dismantler place out here are getting cheaper...

WAIT, my bad, I was looking at K24's for 1500-1700...

Wanderer. 01-06-2014 09:27 PM

I was going to mumble something about Koni Ground Control in my prior post but I thought it went without saying and I thought the Internet was tired of the words.

But truth lol

Link to build thread on other board? I'd still like to check it out anyway.

De36 01-06-2014 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1217783)
Car has some handling quirks, but being FWD and a modern (heavy) Honda no real surprise. He found as far as suspension that Koni yellow + Ground Control sleeves really is unbeatable. We've also been talking a lot about the products from K-Tuned, they make a killer header and a nice "oval" exhaust that helps with clearance. Check em out :RSX Header

Hopefully you're still willing to share some of your build with us!

Every car has it's handling quirks, my WRX took a while to dial in, its awd it has to driven it differently. If it was a street car I would run Koni Yellows, but having camber and preload is a must, that's why I'm going with coilovers. I like the K-tune header, the RSX guys rave about the DC header but I've had issues with DC headers welds splitting.

It will cost about $800-1100 to freshen up the motor. A pallet motor is still a gamble. My Infiniti G20 need a transmission, the first pallet trans only lasted a month.

Wanderer. 01-07-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by De36 (Post 1217795)
If it was a street car I would run Koni Yellows, but having camber and preload is a must, that's why I'm going with coilovers.

You could run camber plates with the Koni/GC no?

AMR Engineering for coilovers? Rebound adjustable only, has camber plates and all that, custom made for your application, so nice and not super expensive. Supposedly that make them for the Fit too I've been interested.