Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Civic Type-R - Confirmed for US Market

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
I have notlooks into the new sti, my brother tests drove one and said he was not impressed with it. He said the car felt cheap, and the ride was pretty stiff. A cheep feeling car is something I might run into witha the a Focus and of course I would need to test drive an sti my self to make my own opinions on the car.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Give the Sti a good look, my brother has the Impreza that it's based on and it doesn't feel cheap to me at all.

AWD is hard to beat!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
im curious to know what the internals would be rated at, as far as the durability being a turbo, for more boost haha, hard to determine not knowing the hp specs.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I have notlooks into the new sti, my brother tests drove one and said he was not impressed with it. He said the car felt cheap, and the ride was pretty stiff. A cheep feeling car is something I might run into witha the a Focus and of course I would need to test drive an sti my self to make my own opinions on the car.
If you want a more expensive feel to your car, buy a Golf R.
"But Golf R has VW’s latest EA888 engine, with 296hp and 280 lb-ft of torque across a broad range from 1,800 to 5,500 rpm; and probably it also has the best refinement among its competitors. For example, it has lots of noise insulation materials placed around the engine bay; its interior design and material quality give people an impression similar to some Audi vehicles."

Source

Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Im first in line to get this. I know it might be as powerful/fast as a golf R or focus RS but im sure it will be fun to drive. Had a ITR it wasnt the fast in the bunch but it was a pleasure. also expect to be here at earliest in 2018!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
I think this will be a cool car, but I don't think it will be very competitive within its segment, in terms of what you get for the money. But it's at least a step in the right direction, just a little bit more of that "too little, too late" view that we had when they finally gave the Civic Si a K20 in 2006 (which it arguably should have had since 2002, when other compacts were getting factory turbos again). As other people have said, a US-spec CTR is likely going to start well into the 30s, and that price range also provides other options that are very attractive.

Other than what's already been stated above, I feel like this car is going to be a letdown. Honda made a big splash with that ~7:50 Nurburgring time, though I've already had a lot of doubts about it, considering the cars that couldn't manage that (along with what cars have better times -- remember the C6 Z06 made headlines when it managed a 7:42.99, which at the time was really just behind the Carrera GT and the 911 GT2, if I remember correctly). I think they did that on purpose to build hype, and I'd say they cheated, since the tires were still developmental ones that likely won't be on the production car, and they did say that they removed stuff like the A/C and other goodies that trim weight, even though they said it was to offset the weight added by the roll cage, which I would call BS on. First of all, even if the weight ends up being exactly the same, it likely has an effect on the weight distribution (as the A/C and whatever other stuff that they took out is likely much, much closer to the front axle, while a roll cage is more spread out through the passenger compartment between both axles). Plus it's not commonplace for manufacturers' cars to have roll cages during 'Ring testing for lap times -- and we're talking about cars with far more horsepower, carrying a ton more speed and likely facing a greater potential for danger if the driver screws up. Plus Honda already talked about how they would re-test a production spec model, which to me says that they know there will be a noteworthy difference... otherwise why would they release the lap time of a pre-production car that doesn't have production spec parts? 7:50 is a little hard to believe.

And then there's the fact that Honda's US offerings tend to get Americanized. The green Civic concept (and the recent spy photos of the test mule) already shows little resemblance to the CTR, so it wouldn't surprise me if we get a bigger, heavier CTR that what we've seen, unless they hook the US up for once and treat it like the 2002 Civic Si where they gave us the overseas body style.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
This rendering looks very much like a 2015 FIT from the A pillar back.

2016 Civic Type R Sportback rendering

Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
The Type R is supposed to be globalized to be "similar" for the Global Market. What we get, is supposed to be very close to what others get. Honda is finally catching on with how this saves money.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by tbFit
This rendering looks very much like a 2015 FIT from the A pillar back.
That artist must be a GK fan, that is a very optimistic rendering lol!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Personally, I think the new Civic Type-R for the USA market will likely be based on the next-generation Honda Civic coupe. In effect, the 2016 Civic coupe shown in concept form at the New York Auto Show just over a month ago will get the Type-R drivetrain rated at around 300 bhp for the USA market, including the six-speed manual transmission, though I would not discount the possibility of a six to seven gear dual-clutch automatic with shift paddles by the time the car finally arrives in the fall of 2016.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
Personally, I think the new Civic Type-R for the USA market will likely be based on the next-generation Honda Civic coupe. In effect, the 2016 Civic coupe shown in concept form at the New York Auto Show just over a month ago will get the Type-R drivetrain rated at around 300 bhp for the USA market, including the six-speed manual transmission, though I would not discount the possibility of a six to seven gear dual-clutch automatic with shift paddles by the time the car finally arrives in the fall of 2016.
Excellent point, hasn't been brought up in the thread so far but in fact everywhere I have been reading is saying that it will be based on the next generation Civic and not the current version in Europe

Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Finally!! Seriously, Honda should have started selling Type R's ages ago to go head-to-head with the GTI. Glad it's finally coming.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Very excited for this sport back, I for one love the wagon/hatchback look for some reason =D. Looking forward to buying this used, I'm pretty sure there's going to be a long wait list for these. Till then my motorcycle will have to do =P

Old 06-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Administrator
The UK Magazines have got their hands on the early release models and the reviews are coming in

First drive: 2015 Honda Civic Type R - BBC Top Gear

Old 06-03-2015, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Converting over the price listed in that article, it is about 45,000 US Dollars....I love the idea of the car, the looks of the car, the everything. But 45k for a Civic?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
The rear end is a little wonky looking. It reminds me of the CRZ rear hatch area.

Yeah 45k is wayyy to much 30K tops.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Another good review:

http://youtu.be/YQwedAqD4ls

Old 06-11-2015, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waiz
Another good review:

http://youtu.be/YQwedAqD4ls
Yes good review, lets see what actually ends up in the USA for sale. Meantime, while Honda has been sleeping at the wheel with regards to performance hot hatches, I bought the Fiesta ST which has been a great drivers car.

if something like this type R was available last year, i would have seriously considered it too.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
It give hope for a turbo fit. If they could also bring a civic hatchback ( like the one in those last picture, it look awesome! I love hatchback can't live without one). I do Love my 2007 fit, but when I change car in 2017-2018, I might go bigger ( compact ), and I am not attach to any brand,( they all have their great cars and have cons and pro that you have to accept I like cars, not only one car) I like the focus ( if it wasn't for the fact that is smaller than the fit, fiesta St all the way, damn it is a funny machine), the new golf is awesome too ( probably going golf wagon 1.8tsi manual no diesel no way, no automatic), so If honda wants to keep me : Turbo fit ( they should compete with the fiesta ST), or a hatchback civic.

Please honda return to the fun factor you used to have.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by exigejoe
Im first in line to get this.....im sure it will be fun to drive.......also expect to be here at earliest in 2018!

Same here! Hope to be one of the first too. Forced a deposit last 3/20/15 with the GM of the largest volume Honda dealer in my area. At that time they thought it would never arrive but now I'm on top to their list and a ton of others behind me. He tells me that Honda won't come out with them in numbers. He figures it most probably will be a loss-leader in the product-line to create awareness for the return of the Civic Hatch and predicts that the price point for NA would be $39,990.
Our household had a '98 Integra Type R and that was a blast to drive and listen to its 8,000 rpm non-turbo engine. Am hoping this little beast will be just as entertaining!!!

Quick Reply: Civic Type-R - Confirmed for US Market