Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I visited a local clearbra installer and was impressed. I now need to get the Golf away from my wife and have the install done.

I'll insist on OEM glass for our Golf if replacement is needed. I've read a number of posts like yours from owners dissatisfied with alternate brands.
yah, if the shop has the oem in stock they will offer it to you given they get approval from your insurance or you foot the difference. in my case they didn't have the glass in stock and my broken windshield was leaking water pretty badly at the big crack so didn't have much choice but to replace it right away.. if it was my R i would've just waited until they had the OEM glass instock but my GTI is my dd so..

i was amazed how poor the quality of the substitute glass was. lots of distortion up top, the radius of the glass did not match the GTI's rear view mirror base with the auto wiper sensor so the finisher would not snap in... lol

Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'll have to measure and see if a clear bra would have helped. The impact is quite a bit up on the hood.

Looking at these pics, I don't think we would have been covered.

VW Golf (15- ) Clear Bra
clear bra shops offer full coverage hoods.. they will cut from a roll instead of using pre-cuts.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- no update on the seat skin install?

Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, been slacking. Have had company in town to watch the eclipse. All clear now. Will get pics when the wife gets home from work tonight.

Will get a pic of the rock damage as well. Need to find someone that can blend in a paint repair. Would like to avoid having the whole hood repainted.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Far from anything special, but here's our $17/pair seat cover...

They are fairly comfy and I prefer the feel of neoprene to the fake leatherette seating surface.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the damage to our 2 week old car :( Darn rocks!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
hey you got done on the seat covers. should keep the surface lasting for a very long time.

ouch on the rock chip! :(

Old 08-24-2017, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
hey you got done on the seat covers. should keep the surface lasting for a very long time.
Yup. They aren't going to help win any car shows, but they work. Can't justify $300 custom seat covers when I have parts I need to buy for the Fit :)

Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like a sounds choice GAFIT. no need to spend $$$ on things you dont want!

plus, i agree spending on bits for your hobby car instead!! :D

Old 08-24-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Installed the passenger side just a few minutes ago. At least it matches now.

Told my Dad about them and he wants to pick up a set for his CR-V. They are into that disposable price category. Run them till they look bad, put them in the washing machine and they either survive and get re-used or thrown in the trash and replaced.

Will get an estimate on Monday for paint repair :(

Wife is getting 42 mpg in the AM driving with the A/C off. It's also slightly downhill the whole way. Only getting 34mpg on the way home with A/C going and slight incline. The Fit never varies that much. Guessing it's due to heat and boost vs. no boost with the elevation change.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
that paint chip is going to either turn out to...

air brush touchup job by mobile contractor at dealer.. $100? soso decent fix.
you touching it up $15-20 for touchup paint.. soso decent fix.
getting entire hood repainted $250?.. good fix but then hope no other issue..

i would just touch it up and forget about it. at least it wont rust in this case.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed. I've had all 3 done in the past.

I find my touch up skills to be...lacking. It does work though and is cheap. We touched up a spot on the Fit over 6 years ago. It's one of the few spots not rusting.

We know an air brush guy and his work looks good for a while. Just doesn't seem to be a long term solution.

I have a good paint shop, but they aren't cheap. I'm probably going to get an estimate from them and go from there. Was $360 to just paint a new bumper cover for the Fit from them though.

Thinking option 4...can of shake and shoot sprayed with zero care. Color will depend on which of my cans are at the front of the shelf. Would make it easier to not care in the future.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
when i apply touchup, i dab a blob on a piece of plastic and use it as a pallet.

then i take a toothpick and hit the tip against a table to make it flat. i use that as applicator and put small blobs of touchup into the chip. let it dry and apply more. usually needs like 7-8 coats, maybe more.. then dry for 2 weeks.

then take a small sanding block #2000 and gently wet sand it till flat.. then wait another month or two before using fine polish (like scratch-x) to get it shiny as adjacent paint. otherwise the touchup will get polished away before your surrounding paint as it hasnt fully cured.

if this was my hobby car id do this. on my GTI, i just apply the touchup and just leave it. mainly for rust prevention.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I had not considered the possibility of a high end DIY job. I don't have much to lose by trying. Right now I'm thinking hood repaint.

Might as well try touch up, sanding, clearing, etc first. I have plenty of supplies.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
yah, give it a shot. the trick is to allow the touch up to throughly dry. most people are too quick to work on the touchup for an immediate fix. it doesnt work that way when you have layers upon layers of thick touchup paint.

since VW's touchup is 2 step, id probably do just 1-3 coats of the base black and the rest layers of clear coat.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT i see that youve been slacking... wat is new on ur golf?

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Sadly, very little. Been a busy work week for the wife and I and a busy school week for the boy.

Only things accomplished were...got base and clear coat from the VW dealer (taking your advise) and got a rear bumper protector applique from Lamin-X. Neither of the tasks tackled though.

The Fit got a Battery Tender lead added to the battery today so it can use one of my tenders. Not driving it enough to let it sit without a tender.

Lincoln got cleaned and loved with Jay Leno's garage products including his hand wax. Giving his new line a try and liking the results so far.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
good idea on the battery tender. i use it all the time on cars i only drive on weekends.

sounds good on the wax. these days i only use liquid sealant..me too lazy~...

Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
My wife and I are 3,000 Miles along with our 2017 Wolfsburg 5M and remain very pleased. The 1.8T has plenty enough punch to be fun and all with regular octane fuel. We easily powered on up the 7% curvy, multi-mile Saluda Grade on I-26 in western NC in 5th gear without any hint of strain and averaged 37 to 38 MPG on our road trip.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Rear bumper protector applique installed last night on Golf.

I'm struggling with the paint on this car. It seems extremely soft. Anything that touches it leaves scratches, rain water dried on it while wife was at work and etched the paint (not just hard water spots, but etched the pain within hours), and bug guts instantly mar the front bumper.

It's like it didn't cure properly. In just a few weeks of ownership, I've used my rotary buffer twice on the thing and it needs a third time. Very disappointing and a LOT of work.

I will compound the thing one more time and then seal it and forget it. Tired of dealing with it. Worst paint of any car I've experienced. And I've owned a LOT of cars.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
My wife and I are 3,000 Miles along with our 2017 Wolfsburg 5M and remain very pleased. The 1.8T has plenty enough punch to be fun and all with regular octane fuel. We easily powered on up the 7% curvy, multi-mile Saluda Grade on I-26 in western NC in 5th gear without any hint of strain and averaged 37 to 38 MPG on our road trip.
that sounds great. :D with the surface driving my wife does, her GK is almost always showing 37-38mpg on the obc. she is fine with the car, but when i get in the GK thing is SO SLOW and POWERLESS it makes me mad often..

definitely going to look at the regular Golf next for her if she still wants an economy hatch.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Rear bumper protector applique installed last night on Golf.

I'm struggling with the paint on this car. It seems extremely soft. Anything that touches it leaves scratches, rain water dried on it while wife was at work and etched the paint (not just hard water spots, but etched the pain within hours), and bug guts instantly mar the front bumper.

It's like it didn't cure properly. In just a few weeks of ownership, I've used my rotary buffer twice on the thing and it needs a third time. Very disappointing and a LOT of work.

I will compound the thing one more time and then seal it and forget it. Tired of dealing with it. Worst paint of any car I've experienced. And I've owned a LOT of cars.
yah, black is a hard color to up keep. best for me had been to use polymer wax as you dry product after ever other wash. and use high quality MF super soft towels if you need to buff the car. i too noticed i need to use my super soft wax pad on my random orbital after using my regular polish pad, otherwise i end up with holograms. yikes. the only polish i use is ScratchX (very mild) on the black.

my GTI is parked out doors 24/7 so i know wat youre going through.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg