Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nobdy
VW does have a service review process. I haven't been offered any of the additives derived from the oil of snakes, but I think the local service department is sensitive to poor feedback to VWOA.
I want to make sure everyone understands...I'm not upset at all with the dealer, experience, or price.

It was better than VW in the early '00's. I wasn't forced to get junk and the cost wasn't ridiculous. Plus they were friendly and the waiting room was nice.

Honestly, my only mild complaint is I would have liked the car returned clean, but our Honda dealer doesn't do that either. I think it's mostly a Lincoln, Lexus, Acura kind of service to clean any car that comes in.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
They call it Godzilla, right? Our local Nissan Dealer had two new GT-Rs on the floor a few years ago and I stopped by just to sit in them and look 'em over. I must have looked like a vagrant because no salesguy ever asked if he could help. <g>
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Just got back from the VW dealer and I can now say what the 10,000 mile service costs once you make them remove everything from their recommended list until it's just down to oil change and tire rotation.

$102 after 10% off coupon for oil change and tire rotation.

Roughly double what Lincoln charges me for the same service and the car was not washed or vacuumed. Overall not a good deal. It was going to be $200ish until I asked what it included. They had rust prevention, fuel treatment, sphincter waxing, etc on the recommended list.

Service adviser and the waiting room were nice though.

Edited to add - didn't mean this to sound negative. I knew walking in that German brands cost more to maintain that domestic or asian. I've had a VW before so I was expecting this and knew enough to make sure and have them remove ridiculous add on's. What's funny is that Ford and Honda even recommend against using fuel additives.
I cant remember off hand but the liquimoly 6 liters with the oil filter and plug was like $50-55 shipped, right? so about 1/2hr labor charged which is about $50 so comes out $105. that's not a bad deal

Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I want to make sure everyone understands...I'm not upset at all with the dealer, experience, or price.

It was better than VW in the early '00's. I wasn't forced to get junk and the cost wasn't ridiculous. Plus they were friendly and the waiting room was nice.

Honestly, my only mild complaint is I would have liked the car returned clean, but our Honda dealer doesn't do that either. I think it's mostly a Lincoln, Lexus, Acura kind of service to clean any car that comes in.
I understood, but went down the rabbit hole with my very own rant. Sorry about that.

All I can say about free dealer car washes. DON'T let them do it. It's a great way to add some wonderful marks on your car. When my car hits the dealer I tell them not to wash it & leave a sign taped to the dash saying the same.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
agreed on the dealer induced swirls... especially on a black car.

which reminds me, my GTI really needs a wash this weekend.. low 40F's so definitely doing a hose wash on my driveway. :)

Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
bump!

why does this thread keep dying? ..lol

Old 12-22-2017, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
bump!

why does this thread keep dying? ..lol
No news is good news here. Golf has 11,500 or so miles now that it got the family comfortably to the first step of our vacation. 33mpg would be poor in a Fit, but a Fit does not comfortably run at high speeds in near silence.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
wow! my GTI only has like 13.5k miles! :D bought july 2016.

sounds good on the Golf trip. yah, for long distance in higher speeds Golf is the way to go. have fun out there in new orleans.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
little history for you VW folks.. :)

Old 12-26-2017, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
They are big enough to bleed so $ooo,ooo,ooo much money & still stay afloat. Although their motorsport programs have been given the ax.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
im just thankful they gave us the MK7 Golf-R MT in the USA. :)

Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Nice that there are a choice of transmissions, but they did take the 2 door away from the US market. They sure are limiting choices.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
that is true.. but for me, im actually okay with the 4 door on my GTI and R. the shorter door lines make the car look more balanced.. honestly i didnt even look at the 2 door GTI's in depth while i was shopping around 2yrs ago when i bought my first Golf which is my current GTI. :)

Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2 door. Since I bought mine used it was all about condition. Had it been a 4 door I'd still have bought it. I don't haul rear seat passengers so I didn't need a 4 door. I do see the practicality of the 4 door. As for looking more balanced, beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

How about a Golf R wagon? I'd love one of those. :-)

Old 12-27-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
if the Golf-R only came in a 2 door i wouldve still gotten it, its not a show stopper for me.

i was never into the golf wagons.. something odd about its shape.. its like you buy a Golf cause its small, yet they extended it for some reason. should call it a jetta wagon maybe and separate it from the golfs.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
We loved our Jetta Sportwagen TDI as seen here. We didn't set out to buy a diesel, but the combination of the Sportwagen's perfect size, the excellent 6M tranny and the feature-packed TDI trim level were too much to ignore. We liked the styling of it too, never much fancying the barn-sized SUV look that prevails everywhere else.

We replaced it with the Golf Wolfsburg because my wife and are now often empty-nesters and no longer need the space of a wagon.

2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M

Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Nice looking wagon RS-1. I see red is your wife's color.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
GAFIT - how's the trip going so far?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Nice looking wagon RS-1. I see red is your wife's color.
:-) That's the truth! Even the neighbors remarked that everything we buy is a shade of red. If I buy a GTI someday, I will break with tradition and go with Night Blue Metallic or Reflex Silver Metallic.

My wife used the roof rails a lot on our Sportwagen, often during Girl Scout trips with tents, cookware, food, duffels and kids all packed in. I kept an old Subaru roof basket and modified its mounting system to fit the VW rails. If I sell my truck to buy my GTI, I'd buy the roof rail package and use it for occasional trips to the lumberyard. With some mods, I figure I could carry pretty much everything within reason, except 4x8 sheet goods.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 12-28-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
why not just use your 2013 fit sport automatic in your sig for utility carrying? or are you going to sell that too when you get the GTI? not that there's anything wrong with roof racks, etc on a golf.. just wondering. i can pretty much carry everything i need in my GK, so.. if anything bigger i just borrow the company minivan.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Our 2013 Fit is often away at college in the care of my kid, so I don't have access to it during much of the school year. But, yep I agree -- the Fit's carrying capacity is phenomenal.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg