Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ash- yah, im not too worried with the reliability.. honda and nissan has messed with my tolerance threshold so much that im okay with cars breaking down. its the new norm. lol my VW's and Subie have been so good.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Despite the irritations on the Golf as reported to the Dealer, we still love the car. It starts, it runs well, it's quiet and comfortable, it's economical and is great fun to drive.

Amongst the problems, the only one that really bothers me is when I can't enter 2nd Gear. It doesn't happen as often with my wife at the wheel, as she's used to it and knows how to finesse the shifter to find the gate.

The coolant loss isn't major and it seems to be a VW water pump thing. Our TDI did it too and sometime during our time with it, I wiped my pinky finger in an area around the crankshaft pulley and found some goo. VW needs a new water pump supplier.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
alco- i run a short shifter adapter on my Golf-R. it took away a good portion of the play. does anyone offer something like that for your Golf?

2015 + Volkswagen GTI / Golf R Short Shift Transmission Adapter - Boomba Racing, Inc.

or is your clutch not disengaging fully at clutch in..?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm -- interesting improvement you found kenchan. I'll look and see what may be out there for 5 Speeds. I think our clutch action is fine, but now that you mention it, I'll know to be aware of it next time.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
yah, im sure you already thought about this since ure a seasoned MT driver, but it *could* be that you're clutching in or out just a hair too early or not clutching-in all the way especially if that is not your primary car you normally drive.

i have to completely adjust the way i drive between the STI and R.. they drive like complete opposites.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I was talking to a well-informed VW saleswoman at the Dealer while I waited on Rolf the Golf's 10K Mile Service. I asked her why the 2017's and prior have the open space in the lower grille for the sensor, yet many of the 2018's don't.

She pointed to the VW logo on the grille of a 2018 GTI on the salesfloor and noted that it was completely smooth, with no raised chrome. Ends up that VW now mounts the sensor behind the logo! A neat trivia fact I thought and it does clean up the front.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Regarding MK7 trunk liners, I learned on a VW forum that VW's MuddyBuddy™ Trunk Liner (VW 5G0061161A) made by WeatherTech (and also offered by WeatherTech) fits in only one floor position. When ordering, a buyer must specify a Liner for the lowered trunk floor or a raised trunk floor. I think that this could reduce its usefulness.

VW's Heavy Duty Trunk Liner with CarGo Blocks (VW 5G0061166469) is of a different design and not made by WeatherTech. VW doesn't specify whether it fits regardless of trunk floor position. Do any of y'all own this accessory? I'd like to verify its fit before we buy one. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
I think it looks much better now. A friend has a MK7 with the one in the lower grille & it seems to suffer from snow accumulation more rendering her nanny dead. Much easier to clean the sensor up higher maybe that is why the change happened.

Edit.... The trunk liner I have is the VW one with the cargo blocks. It's pretty nice & I love the blocks for holding things in place. My rear floor only has one position so I can't answer your question. My guess is that it will probably work.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 04-19-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
We also have the VW one with cargo blocks. I recall going with it because it's carpeted instead of hard plastic and works in both positions. I'll try to remember to verify the double position thing when the wife gets home from work.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, thanks very much guys and thanks GAFIT for checking yours so that I can be sure before I buy one. I just asked on www.golfmk7.com, though now it seems you'll soon have my answer. I'd think that the carpeted liner would also offer better quiet than a hard plastic one.

My wife's birthday is coming up and she said she'd like one so that she can isolate groceries and the like from sliding around back there. She also wants the cargo net, as the adapted one from our old Subaru is finally falling apart.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
My cars came with both the carpet liner and the right angle cargo organizers. they work well.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
We also have the VW one with cargo blocks. I recall going with it because it's carpeted instead of hard plastic and works in both positions. I'll try to remember to verify the double position thing when the wife gets home from work.
Were you able to take a look? Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it works in both positions. It kind of bends to fit, but it still works.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
VW's Heavy Duty Trunk Liner with CarGo Blocks (VW 5G0061166469) is of a different design and not made by WeatherTech. VW doesn't specify whether it fits regardless of trunk floor position. Do any of y'all own this accessory? I'd like to verify its fit before we buy one. Thank you.
wat do you mean by trunk floor position?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
wat do you mean by trunk floor position?
He means the up or down position. There are slots in the rear cargo area that allow the floor to be low for more space or higher so that the floor is at the same height as the seats when lowered.

Neither setting has much room in the rear compared with the Fit, but the low setting helps a bit and the high setting is good if you transport something long and want it flat.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
huh, i dont think thats offered on my GTI or R cause ive not noticed it... not that i use the truck often but id probably see it if there was such feature..(?)

Old 04-22-2018, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
I think all MK7s have the feature, but I might be wrong. Remove the floor as if you're needing the spare tire and you might see slots for a lower floor position. The floor then sits atop the spare tire, not a few inches above it.

It's one of those "Easter Egg" features that we wouldn't have known about if I hadn't researched the luggage capacity specifications. I think the lower floor setting adds ~2 CuFt or something near that.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it works in both positions. It kind of bends to fit, but it still works.

Good news! Thanks very much. :-)

Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
huh, will check it out next time when i check psi on the spare on the GTI. thanks.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Just got home from the VW dealer. 20k oil change complete. Had them check out the sunroof switch while there because it had lost the tilt feature. They said it "lost the program." Reflash and all is good with the roof again.

They have quite a few R's in stock...

https://www.autonationvwmallofgeorgi...anchor-model-5

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg