Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Driver’s ‘Apology’ to 10-Year-Old Cyclist He Hit: ‘I’m Very Sorry You Rode Into the

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Driver’s ‘Apology’ to 10-Year-Old Cyclist He Hit: ‘I’m Very Sorry You Rode Into the

Rather pathetic driver handling a collision rather poorly...........

Driver’s ‘Apology’ to 10-Year-Old Cyclist He Hit: ‘I’m Very Sorry You Rode Into the Side of the Car’

Continues from Bicycling.com

Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry your face hit the back of my hand...

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode:

haha

Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
"I'm gonna start kicking air like this"

UH UH UH UH UHHHH UGHHGHHH .... LOL. love that ep

Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM
I am glad the local justice allowed the case to be reopened, but I would not hold my breath that anything of consequence will happen to said driver.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I am glad the local justice allowed the case to be reopened, but I would not hold my breath that anything of consequence will happen to said driver.
Sounds like that's what is panning out.

The driver who struck a 10-year-old cyclist last fall and then wrote a sarcastic, victim-blaming apology letter may walk away from the case facing no consequences.

Update

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
So called letter of "apology" aside, did the driver hit the bicycle or did the bicyclist hit the vehicle?

I mean, unless you're doing a drift, it's kinda hard to hit someone with the side of your vehicle.

That also said, I don't know the circumstances of the accident... was the driver passing too closely to the bicyclist? Or was there more than enough room and the bicyclist did something or reacted poorly and swerved into the vehicle?

I look at the article linked above and all you see a "witch hunt" type comments... even better some comment (robo?) with peoples supposed personal information... are we being invited for a lynch mob?

I honestly hate some bicyclist... it's one thing to share the road, it's another to fly through a stop across an oncoming car that has a green and neither of you can see the other. But biased aside, there's little defense that can be made for one or the other without more info.

~~~~~

Instead of wiping out what I already wrote... I saw another link from the article...

Julian Moore was riding his Diamondback mountain bike on a quiet street in Pittsford, New York, last September when he veered slightly to avoid a manhole cover. A split second later, he felt the thud of steel and aluminum on his side, sending him careening to the ground. A driver had struck the 10-year-old while trying to pass on the left.
So, the bicyclist swerved to avoid a manhole cover (with a mountain bike) while a vehicle was passing... eh, doesn't that lean more in the driver's favor?

If you're going to bike in the street, the natural expectation is... there's going to be a vehicle there sooner or later, right? So, before doing ANYTHING, check to make sure it's clear? If you can't check in time... slow down/hit the brakes?

Nah.... getting run over is easier.

For that matter... just how bad was the manhole cover (not pothole), that a "mountain bike" couldn't just ride over it?

Oops, that's a stupid question... I see rugged "off road" vehicles swerve to avoid hairline cracks or perfectly even manholes that I wouldn't even notice in my stiffer suspension Fit.

~~~~~

Side note... even on a bike path, when I'm fairly certain no one else is near me, I'll check my side before moving to avoid a puddle or whatever on my side... at least, the few times I've been bicycling.

(broken record) Blaming others is much easier than admitting own fault in the matter.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
WE MUST BLAME THE PEDESTRIANS

ugh.

A huge issue in this country is that most people have never been pedestrians so you don't understand it. Get out of your car, take public transport, ride a bike, walk, see how much harder it has been made because the country has been designed to the lazy & their cars.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
WE MUST BLAME THE PEDESTRIANS

ugh.

A huge issue in this country is that most people have never been pedestrians so you don't understand it. Get out of your car, take public transport, ride a bike, walk, see how much harder it has been made because the country has been designed to the lazy & their cars.
Never been pedestrians?

I'm a pedestrian everyday as I have to walk across the street after parking... duh? I purposely walk to the corner and either push the walk button, wait for my light or on the few occasions I don't feel like waiting, I LOOK to make sure I won't get my ass run over. I must be a freak of nature to actually care about my own well being and make use of technology (walk light) and even the actual biology given to me (aka, my eyes and brain).

I've also done my share of freezing my ass off (you're listed as in Wis, so you pretty much know what a Chicago winter is like) waiting for overcrowded buses. And even missing the bus, because I chose not to run/dash across the street in front of moving vehicles to catch it. Preferring to let it go in favor of my own well being. And this, when I was still as young (and supposedly immature) as the kid pictured with his mom in the post above.

So, while I can see that it could be harder on pedestrians/bicyclist due to the increase of vehicles and roads for said vehicles, it doesn't excuse each individual's requirement to keep an eye out and put a moments thought for their own safety, whether they be walking on/across the street, bicycling or even driving another vehicle.

~~~~~~

I hope I'm merely someone caught replying to a sarcastic post.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
You walk across one street?

Wow. Such a hardship. I'm a pedestrian every day, whether it is ten blocks to my favorite restaurant or across town to explore, every time I deal with some idiot rolling a stop sign, not seeing me, going crazy fast, etc.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
So called letter of "apology" aside, did the driver hit the bicycle or did the bicyclist hit the vehicle?

I mean, unless you're doing a drift, it's kinda hard to hit someone with the side of your vehicle.

That also said, I don't know the circumstances of the accident... was the driver passing too closely to the bicyclist? Or was there more than enough room and the bicyclist did something or reacted poorly and swerved into the vehicle?

I look at the article linked above and all you see a "witch hunt" type comments... even better some comment (robo?) with peoples supposed personal information... are we being invited for a lynch mob?

I honestly hate some bicyclist... it's one thing to share the road, it's another to fly through a stop across an oncoming car that has a green and neither of you can see the other. But biased aside, there's little defense that can be made for one or the other without more info.

~~~~~

Instead of wiping out what I already wrote... I saw another link from the article...

So, the bicyclist swerved to avoid a manhole cover (with a mountain bike) while a vehicle was passing... eh, doesn't that lean more in the driver's favor?

If you're going to bike in the street, the natural expectation is... there's going to be a vehicle there sooner or later, right? So, before doing ANYTHING, check to make sure it's clear? If you can't check in time... slow down/hit the brakes?

Nah.... getting run over is easier.

For that matter... just how bad was the manhole cover (not pothole), that a "mountain bike" couldn't just ride over it?

Oops, that's a stupid question... I see rugged "off road" vehicles swerve to avoid hairline cracks or perfectly even manholes that I wouldn't even notice in my stiffer suspension Fit.

~~~~~

Side note... even on a bike path, when I'm fairly certain no one else is near me, I'll check my side before moving to avoid a puddle or whatever on my side... at least, the few times I've been bicycling.

(broken record) Blaming others is much easier than admitting own fault in the matter.
Thanks for doing a little investigating. I was going to tell you this. Even though there's no pics, that I know of, that shows the street. My bet is it was close to it being a neighborhood street.....maybe one that gets used a little more than others. Still I blame the driver far more than the kid. For one is that he is kid! The driver was what, 66. The kid is just learning the rules on the street, the driver should know better! There should have been more room given to the kid when passing. Sounds like the street was pretty clear, my bet is the driver had the oncoming lane to play with. If not, he should have slowed down. Looks to me is the guy didn't learn any lesson here, or maybe to get the hell out of there next time!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Should a 10 year old even be allowed to ride a bicycle on the street?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Should a 10 year old even be allowed to ride a bicycle on the street?
I can really just respond from my own experience. I was freely able to ride my bicycle to school and around the neighborhood at this age. Unfortunately I didn't have a helmet at the time. Really I don't really think there was many helmets available for kids! This was a loooooooooong time ago.

Regarding NY, looks like there's no restrictions other than kids need to wear helmets - info

Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
I was riding a bike on the street at like seven.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:07 AM
I got yelled at by some "lower class" bike rider today. Wasn't the type that would wear a helmet, have a nice bike, or have lights. Daytime and in the rain. I passed him I guess kinda close going through a 4-way stop. Parked right after the intersection and he yelled at me while I was closing up. I kinda felt I should drive up to him and apologize, but had a feeling it would just make things worst. Kinda weird being on the other end of things :-/

Last edited by User1; 03-06-2019 at 02:10 AM.