Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

High Speed Stability is no good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
High Speed Stability is no good?

hey guys, I have had my fit for about half years now, one of the things that had always bothered me about it, is that it feels very light at high speed. Well, it doesn't give me the "planted" feeling when going on the high way, at first I thought maybe it ll get better once I get some stiffer spring, so I lowered it on skunk2s springs, but it still feels the same way, if not worse now, after the drop, the toe is kinda messed up, even after alianments done, it's still not great, so I was wander dose this bother you guys too? what do you do to increase high speed stability?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Retired Moderator
I feel 100% stable at highway cruising speeds(65-80).

Tyler

Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by TOOL
I feel 100% stable at highway cruising speeds(65-80).

Tyler
+1

Mine feels stable as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Banned
The CG of the Jazz/Fit is very HIGH resulting in a platform that is what it is a nice low priced people mover and a fair canyon carver.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
this just in:!!!!

the honda fit isn't a race car. it's an economy car

Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
this just in:!!!!

the honda fit isn't a race car. it's an economy car
oh really? I bought the fit cuz I heard it's the new EVO/STI killer!

....anyways

maybe its just me then, maybe it ll get better when i'm more used to it. The fit really is a first for me, first fwd, first 4 door, first car where I don't "fall" into the seat...etc

Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I have taken my car to pretty high speeds that im not all that proud of and dont suggest anyone to do but i felt perfectly fine and i am also on skunk2's. The only thing im not to happy about is crosswinds cause they seem to push me around a bit more then im used to but its not really that big of a deal to me. It makes the drives that much more fun

Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
dont really know what your talking about. at 100 my fit felt stable.

same thing if i was cruising at 65-70.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
I have taken my car to pretty high speeds that im not all that proud of and dont suggest anyone to do but i felt perfectly fine and i am also on skunk2's. The only thing im not to happy about is crosswinds cause they seem to push me around a bit more then im used to but its not really that big of a deal to me. It makes the drives that much more fun
Yeah, driving with crosswinds does tend to make things iffy on the highways. I wonder what it will be like when I get my Eibachs put on my car. I already have them, but I need to find a weekend to get them installed.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT

same thing if i was cruising at 65-70.
lol, you made it to 100MPH ?!?!? GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i ahve been OVER 100, please no pictures....
autographs later..jk
like 107 (there was a hill down lol)
but no really over/at a buk quite a few times,
stock tires, and all that, really only thing is a megan axbak- which has noting to do with the ride...
and i love the feeling-
i never feel like im gonna crash or anything-
i weave and all that..

----
is this post gonna get deleted?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
I could not have said it better myself...well stated!

p.s...I have SKUNK2's as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by diedwater
hey guys, I have had my fit for about half years now, one of the things that had always bothered me about it, is that it feels very light at high speed. Well, it doesn't give me the "planted" feeling when going on the high way, at first I thought maybe it ll get better once I get some stiffer spring, so I lowered it on skunk2s springs, but it still feels the same way, if not worse now, after the drop, the toe is kinda messed up, even after alianments done, it's still not great, so I was wander dose this bother you guys too? what do you do to increase high speed stability?
If you do not already have one, try a Progress Anti-Sway bar. This past weekend, I drove over the Sierras at up to 85 mph as a storm front came in with 50 mph cross winds. All of the SUV's and most of the small sedans were swerving, and though I felt the wind, no swerving for me with "the BAR".

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I took the fit up to 105mph and i got to say its not as stable as my integra is. The high winds do tend to push the fit around Just roll down the windows and the the wind air through :P

Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
better tires go a long way.

also, improper tire balance/alignment/psi affect high speed stability and "feel" also. check those before attempting a track run and be safe.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Ya, I think I need better tires...but just for some reason, it doesn't feel as stable as my rx7 or z, especially at speed above 100 going down hill, the front feels like it ll lift up any time....oh well, I'm sure I ll get use to it at some point. it's good to know that most of you are ok with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
well of course, the body shape of the Fit is similar to a mini-van, but much lighter. Try reaching 100mph in a Scion xB. OMG it is slow as balls, so much wind resistance against it and it feels like u're struggling to stay at 60mph constantly flooring it.

Luckily, i only had it as a loaner car.

Also, u cant just lower on springs alone and expect it to make a drastic difference for high speed. Throw in some good shocks. Koni's, tokico, etc.

You're still on stock rims i suppose? You can get slightly wider than stock if possible. Or get wider rims altogether. It'll make the car much better in handling too. Its all trial and error, suspension work, everything helps and works together.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
rock solid

Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
Agreed. I was passing and looked down. I was at slightly over 100 and the car was very stable. It felt just like 60 or 70.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by diedwater
Get a Tanabe lower arm bar. All that sway will disappear. Best 70 bucks you'll ever spend on the Fit. Upper strut bar helps too for steering response.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
I had a base model Fit and had the same issue. Got new wheels 15x7 +38 and tires and the problem went away. Either the stock base model tires suck or the wider track helped a lot. I'm still running stock suspension BTW.

Quick Reply: High Speed Stability is no good?