Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Can you race an automatic fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
$65.00 **Jaw Drops**

I'm used to paying $35-$50 to race but that's usually for an end reward for $$$ and a trophy. For no end reward, I pay $15.00 on my Wednesday and Fridays I race.

Basically I'm paying $65.00 to drive around cones? Give me a bit on this one. I'm just not used to this. Thanks for that link. I'll probably go to this one because I said I would. Can't see me paying $50+ if I can't win any money AND have fun.
Lol an HPDE event is around 300 for the weekend.... no winnings until you get into time trails or race group .

I thinks it funny that you say that you said $65 for driving around cones. It goes both ways. You pay $15 to $60 to go 1/4 mile.

Let's figure in seat time. How much money do you pay for driving. Ok let's say you pay $15 and go down the track 10 times at 15 seconds each. So basically you are paying $15 for 2 and 1/2 min. And the auto x guy gets to pay $65 for about let's say 10 runs at 60 sec. So $65 for 10 min of seat time. And and for an HPDE event it's around $300 for the weekend. You get 4 20 min sessions each day. So that's 2 hrs and 40 min of seat time for the weekend at $300.

So with my math HPDE is the best bang for the buck then it's auto x then it's drag race.. I'm not saying that none of it is fun. All of it is and each to their own but nobody needs to put anyone else's type of racing down. Plus you will never know what it's about unless you try.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Actually with the numbers you laid out, the drag costs $60 for 10 minutes.

Though to me, this is why I have never been interested in drag really. First I have never had a car that I would want to drag, because none were faster than 13 seconds. And even at that 13sec speed, the car to me would be slow. For myself, I think the car would need to be a 10 second and under car to get some adrenalin going. Tried my AP2 in Guam for 4 runs for free as there was a Honda day event after an auto-x, without really launching it, pulled just 14 seconds, my 5R Integra was faster at about 13.5 based on datalogs and also not really launching drag proper. Still, just going straight for that amount of time and distance just never felt exciting at all. Now for myself, taking even a slow car, like the Fit onto a road course, or even dodging cones, can still be quite enjoyable. Granted, we're all different and some much prefer going straight even in a slow car.

Though the price factor and questioning it, does seem a little odd to me. That is quite cheap. I pay about $40 for 25 minute sessions over at Sodegaura Forest, so it does add up quickly. The event at Fuji on the 29th of April is $200 for 2 30 minute sessions. Uggghhhh, but if you want to play and go left and right, you must pay.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Different strokes for different folks. That's for another discussion.

See you at the track(s).

Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah, what's the long story Rifleman?

All this track talk... I really need to get back out on track this summer. Either car will do at this point.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Camothetrillest
Should I even try to make my 07 fit a racing car ?
that depends on your objective. if you're going to compete in SCCA spec B class you may be at a disadvantage but you certainly can race it with roll cage, safety stuff, and good piloting.
if you intend just to lap a race track at speed in one of the driving schools you'll be as well off as any getting the most safely out of your fit.
and I had mine out regularly and often so reliability was perfect.
now if you're looking to autocross I'm not sure which class its in but only a little work should make it competitive. that, btw, makes for a much nicer driver on the street too.
good luck.
tires, wheels, ASB, and brake pads are the proper start.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
$65.00 **Jaw Drops**

I'm used to paying $35-$50 to race but that's usually for an end reward for $$$ and a trophy. For no end reward, I pay $15.00 on my Wednesday and Fridays I race.

Basically I'm paying $65.00 to drive around cones? Give me a bit on this one. I'm just not used to this. Thanks for that link. I'll probably go to this one because I said I would. Can't see me paying $50+ if I can't win any money AND have fun.
the one that does let you win money/tires would be 2 weekends after. it's called Pro Solo where you have a drag race start and then drive an autox. So 2 cars are on course at the same time but the courses mirror each other. You can see which car is faster off the line and it's pretty cool to watch.

But I signed up already and it's almost here! I can't wait! This will be my first time driving the fit at speed. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Well, just so you guys know I'm not bullshi**ing about all of this, I registered. See you there!

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Actually with the numbers you laid out, the drag costs $60 for 10 minutes.

Though to me, this is why I have never been interested in drag really. First I have never had a car that I would want to drag, because none were faster than 13 seconds. And even at that 13sec speed, the car to me would be slow. For myself, I think the car would need to be a 10 second and under car to get some adrenalin going. Tried my AP2 in Guam for 4 runs for free as there was a Honda day event after an auto-x, without really launching it, pulled just 14 seconds, my 5R Integra was faster at about 13.5 based on datalogs and also not really launching drag proper. Still, just going straight for that amount of time and distance just never felt exciting at all. Now for myself, taking even a slow car, like the Fit onto a road course, or even dodging cones, can still be quite enjoyable. Granted, we're all different and some much prefer going straight even in a slow car.
I attended my 1st Honda Day event this past weekend. I had fun! There was a lot of people there. I didn't expect that but I don't know any better. Here's a quick video I made to capture some of the people there.

And this is why I drag race my automatic CVT Fit **Woot Woot** (The check was nice too )-->

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-18-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 AM
why not? i've been racing my GE A/T before at the tracks! great stuff

Old 04-17-2015, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
IDK if you read the SCCA rules, but your car isn't HS legal. That intake puts it in STF rather than HS. STF is better for the Fit anyways. It's got better pax than HS for some reason. lol. For this class, you have to keep the interior intact. If you remove any bit of the interior, it's SMF for you which is an even faster class.

Well, just so you guys know I'm not bullshi**ing about all of this, I registered. See you there!

I attended my 1st Honda Day event this past weekend. I had fun! There was a lot of people there. I didn't expect that but I don't know any better. Here's a quick video I made to capture some of the people there.

Honda Day (HDay) 2015 @ Atco Raceway 4-12-15 - YouTube

And this is why I drag race my automatic CVT Fit **Woot Woot** (The check was nice too )-->

Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
My Yellow LX 6MT vs your Yello LX CVT.

I will only have one modification which are Koseis wrapped in 205/50/15 Z2 Star Specs

April 26, 2015 at Meadowlands aka Metlife Giants Stadium

Upcoming Events - NNJR-SCCA ? Meadowlands Lot E ? AutoX4U.com
So who else is going?

I'm only seeing one other Fit racing so that's why I asked. I'm racing in the Novice class btw (You'll see JN). Looks like you have 3 other people in your class and there are 32 in mine. Good luck!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-25-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
My Yellow LX 6MT vs your Yello LX CVT.

I will only have one modification which are Koseis wrapped in 205/50/15 Z2 Star Specs

April 26, 2015 at Meadowlands aka Metlife Giants Stadium

Upcoming Events - NNJR-SCCA ? Meadowlands Lot E ? AutoX4U.com
I really appreciate you inviting me out. My eyes have been opened and the autox bug has bit me. I want IN! Nice run btw! I have so much to learn. You got me by a good 10 seconds on the course. I have no excuses! We will meet again.

http://autox4u.com/nnjrlive/results.html

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
I really appreciate you inviting me out. My eyes have been opened and the autox bug has bit me. I want IN! Nice run btw! I have so much to learn. You got me by a good 10 seconds on the course. I have no excuses! We will meet again.

NNJR SCCA/PCA Event #1 (Apr-26 03:46:41)
Yeah No problem dude! Sorry I bailed without saying good bye. I didn't get back to Boston until 8pm. SO MUCH TRAFFIC! You did good too! Not bad for your first time. I don't know if you noticed, but I barely touched the brakes. I was on the throttle the whole time. I think I might have spoiled you too since NNJR has THE BEST pavement. It's the smoothest and grippiest. You'll never find another autox course like this. Also, they were letting you do drag starts only for this event! I'm glad you liked it and next time if you want, I'll co drive with you and you can use my tires. In the mean time, here's what it looks like.

Enjoy!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I came from a 2.0 nissan sentra using CVT and all i can say is that i love my manual fit. Just too fun to drive around.

CVTs are good but boring. NO RPM loss betweeen gears (i mean, like 200-300tops compared to 1.5k 2k loss on manual)

Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
don't know how active this forum is but i just got a 2018 Fit sport.

the brakes are horrible (painfully weak), may be due to the rear drum? but can u track it stock pad and fluid?

thanks!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Spoon makes a rear brake conversion if you want to pay to play:

Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
thx, but i won't be going down that route since i have other track toys. i mainly want to try it in stock form, but wondering if the stock brakes (drum) will hold up. i'm talking about a 2 hr session, with lots of cool down after 2 or 3 laps....

waiting for peeps who track with stock brake set up....

Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Just swap front pads to that of a better compound and switch to DOT 4. Factory pads and DOT 3 is ok for some autocross if you're just getting your feet wet.. road race, I'd at least change brake fluid and pads like previously mentioned just to be safe

Old 07-19-2023, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Like HPDE circuit? I've driven several automatics at HPDEs before, stock and modified. It is still fun. Just time your "downshifts" like one second before you normally would while you wait for the ECM to do what you want it to haha.
True but in regards to Paddle Shift autos some Fits had, you need to space the rev match right at offset as well which takes some time, on top of this its likely if you are doing this you can ideally left foot brake, or if not that have somehow mastered the unintuitive nature of rev matching with the old Autos. More important resist any temptation to force a gear by repeatedly tapping downshift if it ever doesn't respond like normal, you can brake a drive shaft, probably worse when that goes wrong, namely only ever between 2 to 1 though.
Forgetting any of this, i would suggest a cooler for the trans since if we assume its like 99% of autos they need some help once you track them.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Like HPDE circuit? I've driven several automatics at HPDEs before, stock and modified. It is still fun. Just time your "downshifts" like one second before you normally would while you wait for the ECM to do what you want it to haha.
True but in regards to Paddle Shift autos some Fits had, you need to space the rev match right. On top of this its likely if you are doing this you can ideally left foot brake, or if not that have somehow mastered the unintuitive nature of rev matching with the old Autos all on your right foot which given how it works is hard to master like with a manual, normal pedal config on autos and all. More important resist any temptation to force a gear by repeatedly tapping downshift if it ever doesn't respond like normal, you can brake a drive shaft, probably worse when that goes wrong, namely only ever between 2 to 1 though.
Forgetting any of this, i would suggest a cooler for the trans since if we assume its like 99% of autos they need some help once you track them.