Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/racing/)
-   -   "44": My planned Honda Fit track car (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/racing/98849-44-my-planned-honda-fit-track-car.html)

soof 08-19-2018 07:37 PM

"44": My planned Honda Fit track car

Hi all. I'm not going to bore you all and get straight to the point.

Background: We're building a track car based on a second generation Honda Fit. The purpose of the car is to teach our clients how to properly use a manual transmission on the track. We have an automatic E36 M3 track car that our customers use to learn how to form/follow a racing line and to learn the fundamentals of driving RWD on a track. The Fit will be our second car that we use to then teach the customers how to properly drive a stick and also teach them the fundamentals of FWD on the track.

Needs and Wants: What we NEED is a reliable and economic car that will have relatively cheap consumables and modifications that will allow the driver to feel comfortable and confident behind the wheel. What we WANT is for the car to be a little pocket rocket that would put the Spoon Fit to shame

Build List:​​​​​​ This is a very basic list of the modifications that will be done to the car. Except for some Integra Type R's and S2K's, our shop is inexperienced with Hondas. Hence why I'm seeing what you guys think about the build or recommend! With our estimations and research, the car could make up to 200hp with a wet weight of < 1900 lbs!

Engine
  • Stock Block and Internals
  • Sprintex Supercharger, wiring harness & tuner
  • Takeda Intake
  • Yonaka cat-back exhaust
Transmission
  • Stock gearing, synchs and shifter
  • Action Clutch
  • Mfactory helical limited slip differential
  • Mishimoto shift knob
  • Sparco Piuma metal 3-pedal set
Suspension and Brakes
  • K-Tuned K1 street coilovers
  • Willwood front rotors
  • Willwood front 4 piston calipers and pass
  • T1R rear drum-to-rotor conversion
  • T1R rear rotors, calipers and pads
  • Stop-tech stainless steel brake lines front/rear
Wheels and Tires
  • Volk Racing Te37
  • Yokohama Advan performance summer tires
Interior
  • Sparco Sprint driver and passenger seats
  • G-Force 5 point harness driver and passenger
  • Roll Cage
  • Battery relocation to the trunk
  • Battery and fuel kill switch
  • Bosch oil pressure, oil temperature, volt gauges
  • Bedlined floorpan
  • Full gutted interior with intact dash
  • Fire extinguisher with mounting bracket
  • GoPro pedal camera and cockpit camera
Needed
  • Upgraded intercooler
  • Upgraded radiatior
  • Oil Catch Can
  • Upgraded fuel system (pump, injectors etc.)
  • Upgraded transmission internals (our research determined the stock transmission can handle 220hp or less)
If there is a part that does not work with the current build, a part you recommend, something we're missing or even just some criticism please let me know! This is the very beginning of the build and we will not purchase the vehicle until we are 100% confident in the reliability and performance of the parts we use.

Thank you.

EDIT: 8/29/18 -
We're deciding against the Sprintex Supercharger. After speaking to some owners and reading reviews online the kit is not suitable for the track. We'll start off with a stock motor with some basic bolt-on modifications and upgraded cooling but we're pushing the power modifications further down the line... K20 swap anyone?

evilchargerfan 08-20-2018 06:53 PM

subscribed. interesting to see how this one ends up

and, welcome!

07fit916 08-23-2018 09:05 PM

Messaged you.

GAFIT 08-23-2018 09:18 PM

The build looks great and please keep us updated if it happens.

That being said, it would be a whole lot easier to just go buy a Civic Si. It already does half of your wish list and has 1000x more aftermarket support.

TPColgett 08-23-2018 09:20 PM

There are several folks in the fit Community who regularly track things including fits of all generations. If you are looking for reliability, stay far far away from the Sprintex supercharger kit especially in a track environment. I know someone sent you a direct message above, but if you'd reach out to myself I should be able to get you in touch with our Facebook group 4 tracked Honda fits and we can set you up to do exactly what you're looking for.

GAFIT 08-23-2018 09:25 PM

I should also mention that you'll want to research availability. It's amazing how many things are no longer available for GD and GE Fits. I'm not sure you can even get the T1R conversion anymore and I'm not aware of ANY upgraded transmission parts.

If your heart is set on a Fit (and I can certainly understand that), it would be easiest to k swap it and use the Si transmission. The swap isn't too bad if it's just a track car. Don't have to worry about A/C, factory gauges, etc.

soof 08-25-2018 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1410468)
subscribed. interesting to see how this one ends up

and, welcome!

Thank you! Hope to see you around in this thread and we're happy to have you join us on this adventure.

soof 08-25-2018 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1410842)
The build looks great and please keep us updated if it happens.

That being said, it would be a whole lot easier to just go buy a Civic Si. It already does half of your wish list and has 1000x more aftermarket support.

The main reason why we chose the fit is simply because of cost. I work for a Honda dealership and I get substantial discounts on cars that are destined to be auctioned off. A 2nd gen fit with just over 100k miles will run me less than 2 grand depending on the condition. The Si's are generally kept for sale in the used lot and generally not sold off at auction. We did consider the Si however but being that me and my buddies love hatchbacks... we're pretty fond of the fit.

soof 08-25-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TPColgett (Post 1410843)
There are several folks in the fit Community who regularly track things including fits of all generations. If you are looking for reliability, stay far far away from the Sprintex supercharger kit especially in a track environment. I know someone sent you a direct message above, but if you'd reach out to myself I should be able to get you in touch with our Facebook group 4 tracked Honda fits and we can set you up to do exactly what you're looking for.

If you could get me in touch with other Sprintex owners then that would be great! We have been hearing a lot about the mixed bag of reliability the kit provides but this is also just the revision of the build list so we're definitely open to changing the power train. Are there any other bolt-on forced induction kits that make power reliably? We're fairly set on the idea of a bolt-on kit because of ease of installation and disassembly when it comes to upgrading/servicing. If we rule out forced induction we'll most likely turn to all-motor or motor swap.

hotkey 08-28-2018 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by soof (Post 1410370)
Needs and Wants: What we NEED is a reliable and economic car that will have relatively cheap consumables and modifications that will allow the driver to feel comfortable and confident behind the wheel. What we WANT is for the car to be a little pocket rocket that would put the Spoon Fit to shame

Build List:​​​​​​ This is a very basic list of the modifications that will be done to the car. Except for some Integra Type R's and S2K's, our shop is inexperienced with Hondas. Hence why I'm seeing what you guys think about the build or recommend! With our estimations and research, the car could make up to 200hp with a wet weight of < 1900 lbs!

IIRC, someone from Indonesia was able to get ~200bhp. But his motor melted within a year or so.

IMO, the car is perfect for what you NEED; cheap, reliable, fun, parts-a-plenty, great learning platform for beginners. But for what you WANT, not so sure about that.

soof 09-02-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by hotkey (Post 1411190)
IIRC, someone from Indonesia was able to get ~200bhp. But his motor melted within a year or so.

IMO, the car is perfect for what you NEED; cheap, reliable, fun, parts-a-plenty, great learning platform for beginners. But for what you WANT, not so sure about that.

Agreed. We took off our rose tinted glasses for the time being and chopped the build into phases. Phase 1 will begin with handling, reliability and creating a platform that we can work off of in the future. Phase 2 is upgrading the drivetrain and creating power but that will be further down the road. Once we cover our needs then we will figure out how to cater to our wants.