Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   For Sale / Want To Buy / Classified Ads for USED Fit Items (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale-want-buy-classified-ads-used-fit-items/)
-   -   WTB Roof Rack (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale-want-buy-classified-ads-used-fit-items/65854-wtb-roof-rack.html)

Wolfvision 06-27-2011 08:39 PM

WTB Roof Rack

I know this is a popular request but seeing if anybody out there is looking to unload theirs. Had some kayaks on my car a few weeks ago and the foam slipped out and chewed up my roof so its time for a rack. In the Madison area and do a bit of traveling throughout the Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Michigan area and could pick up. Let me know what you have. Thanks

JohnnyFIT 06-27-2011 09:36 PM

Super sexy fit.

And bump for a roof rack search.

ryanroland 06-27-2011 11:37 PM

costco.com and it's basically a Thule complete system
Costco - Sportrack® Frontier Roof Rack System

and heres your kayak attachment

Costco - Sportrack® J Stacker Kayak Roof Top Carrier

Wolfvision 06-28-2011 07:00 PM

have you used it or know anyone who has? Quality is good?

ryanroland 06-28-2011 08:35 PM

Mine should be arriving tomorrow so ill let you know. Little secret about Costco is that they order special items that only get sold at Costco and this one is a good one. When you call the hotline it says " thank you for calling Thule " so its a Thule rack that Costco sells as "sportrack"

ryanroland 06-29-2011 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it in today and check out where it shipped from
Attachment 34495

Wolfvision 06-29-2011 10:04 PM

hahahaha I wonder what deal they have setup with Thule...Great for us

ryanroland 06-30-2011 07:03 PM

So I put it on last night and its pretty straight forward so that was nice. Ive never owned another rack so I can't give you a comparison. The Yakima bike racks with ankle biters fit pretty well just have to get longer bolts cuz the square bars have a bigger circumference than the Yakima round bars. Same thing for the Yakima fairing. Facepalm for me not seeing that they are not compatible before buying on eBay. I will make it work though with a little dremmel action

Pics coming soon. But for 150 would definitely recommend and you cant beat costcos warranty and return policy

JayRoc 06-30-2011 08:49 PM

will that deflector that i see with alot of other racks work?

ryanroland 06-30-2011 11:02 PM

well theres yakima and Thule as the top 2 brands you probably see. The difference is thule uses square or rectangle shaped bars and Yakima uses round bars. So when you buy accessories like a bike rack or snowboard rack they will specify which one it is compatible with or both sometimes. The yakamia fairing (deflector) i bought has clips that are meant for thier round bars and dont fit my square bars. I will simply modify them a little bit with my dremmel. Personally I like the sleek look of the yakima fairing over the thule.

08purplefit 07-02-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ryanroland (Post 1008583)
So I put it on last night and its pretty straight forward so that was nice. Ive never owned another rack so I can't give you a comparison. The Yakima bike racks with ankle biters fit pretty well just have to get longer bolts cuz the square bars have a bigger circumference than the Yakima round bars. Same thing for the Yakima fairing. Facepalm for me not seeing that they are not compatible before buying on eBay. I will make it work though with a little dremmel action

Pics coming soon. But for 150 would definitely recommend and you cant beat costcos warranty and return policy

I wanna see pica of it on ur car cuz I'm thinking of buying one

ryanroland 07-02-2011 09:13 PM

I will shoot a few pics in an hour when I get off work. Any requests on a particular angle or part of the rack

And btw I got the Yakima fairing to fit with dremmel and zip ties. Very secure though. And you could steal a fairing with bare hands with the factory equipment but with my heavy duty zip ties you would need a knife or scissors at least

specboy 07-02-2011 09:26 PM

Thule is well known for being a company that partners with OEMs or places like costco. Many Auto manufacturers sell Thule as OEM. Honda is one of them. I've had both Thule & Yakima and currently I'm using the yakima. I like the fit of the bars and how securely it holds things.

As an FYI on the Fairing, it'll hurt your fuel economy but does cut down on noise. My yakima doesn't impact my economy more than 1mpg when on the roof but when I add the fairing, I lose 2-4mpg more. for those with round (yakima) bars, get the wind jammers to cut down on noise and save your economy.

~SB

ryanroland 07-02-2011 11:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 34444
Attachment 34445
Attachment 34446
Attachment 34447
Attachment 34448

vinnymac 07-02-2011 11:49 PM

Tyme fa da Cannondale's:D

Donscott 07-03-2011 12:19 AM

I like the look of your sport rack. I have just put on my Yakima rack from my wifes Subaru and I had to get different clips for the FIT. Q5 are the model number. $40 for 4 off a craigslister and I got it mounted last night.
I also got a lightly used fairing for $45. I have not seen what it does for the mileage numbers.(36.5 before) I have the mounts for the kayak, saddles on the front and the E Z rollers on the back.
I may have to use a nut or two instead of the tightening clamps because the fairing is just not mounted dead center.
As a side note I installed a rear hitch reciever to the back end and I can use my softride 4 + bike carrier as well. It tips away so you can access the hatch too. The mounting hitch was $115 which was 1 1/4 inch and then I needed an adapter to use my 2 inch rack.
The adapter increases the distance away from the back end by about 7 inches but with the car so short, its no biggie. That rack also converts to carry skis 6, snowboards 4, and also baggage.
So you can now carry all your toys. Enjoy your summer. Will post pics later.:vtec:Keep looking on craigslist for a used rack.

07 SSMT 104 k miles which I put on 2k, had "Miss Fits" the car for 3 months

ryanroland 07-03-2011 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by vinnymac (Post 1009296)
Tyme fa da Cannondale's:D

IDK what that means vinny? Hey and question for you guys, Does it look like my rack is mounted further back than it is on most fits? I put it on to the specs of the manual. 10" forward from where the front and rear doors meet and then the back mount is 24" behind the front mount.

Vinny yours looks like the fairing is right up against the front windshield

Donscott 07-03-2011 12:37 AM

The front looks good but I have my rear bar closer to the back of the door. 2" from corner. But what are you riding a bmxer? My bars are spaced further for Kayaks and for spreading the weight out.

ryanroland 07-03-2011 12:57 AM

mountain bikes for my wife and I

I've seen a couple pics and it looks like their fairing is right above the windshield, but if the manual recomends the placement there I'm afraid of any bad side effects or ill-fitment

Donscott 07-03-2011 01:11 AM

I didn't have a manual to go by when I installed. So don't listen to me. I mountain bike too in Bellingham. Search Whimps mountain bikers and check out our trails. 44 miles of trails close to town. Maybe we could start a new thread for Fit bikers