2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Fit Electrical System

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Electrical System

So, recently I have been adding components to my vehicle and have been trying to do research on the Fit's stock electrical system in the '09 model.

There has been talk of something called ELD which limits the output of the alternator from the ECU.

Although there is much talk about the ECU limiting the alternator, I don't see to much hard proof, or too many follow-ups of those who have added an aftermarket alternator or battery to find that it doesn't help at all.

So my question is, is this still a problem?

Is there really no reason to upgrade the stock alternator b/c it will always be limited by the ECU?

Is there a way to get the alternator rewound and flash the ECU or something so they work together? (Stretching on this one cuz I'm not really sure what flash the ECU means...)

Or is it a general consensus that making one upgrade or the other - alternator or battery - is enough to solve the problems?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
What are you adding? Any signs of a problem??

Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
So far I have added an RF 600.1bd. I have only noticed reduced bass output once, but it could have been my imagination. I will be adding a 4 channel amp 50x4 rms (birthed at 90x4 rms) and would hate to learn that I should have made the upgrade first.

I was told to try everything out first and see if what I add and the way I use shows any signs of strain, then to start looking into upgrades.

However, at the same time I have heard of draining and damaging the crap out of the stock stuff and having to do more expensive upgrades later on then if I had just upgraded in the first place.

What I am trying to accomplish is the legwork. Seeing what other folks have run into and what is currently out there, so I know which steps to take if I do run into problems.

I have called Ohio generators and they say if it is possible to upgrade my alternator I would be looking at around $525 plus shipping !! That's if they can even do it...

Then they recommended me to this site Missing Link Audio when i asked about the ECU limiting the output. And this site again does not have any positive reinforcement that they make a product that will fit our Fit!

So, I'm not really sure which way to go.

My steps that I plan on taking, is to:
1) upgrade the easy 2 of the Big 3.
2) change out the battery - looking at Kinetic HC800 (can't find the 800r online though)
3) upgrade alternator and any ECU probs if necessary.

This being my first ever new car, I don't want to jack things up so I am doing as much research as possible. My last Honda, ('92 Accord) which I had the same amps in, had several problems, and the battery was constantly testing at low charges when I took it to autozone. I don't want to have the Fit acting the same way...

Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Kinetik battery update

Just got an e-mail from Pat Szeman at Kinetik and he said:

Jay,

We do not recommend the KHC800 as a starting cell. The KHC1400r may fit for your application.
Regards,
Pat.

Bleh, I thought I had read on here about some guys replacing the battery with the HC800. I was actually e-mailing him in regards to if an HC800r exists where the terminals would be reversed so when mounted in facing the opposite way the terminals would match up perfectly, but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I am personally staying away from any amps being installed in my '09 Fit. This is for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I don't want to/can't give up hatch space. The second reason is that my first new car was a 2000 Ford Focus that I installed a "system" in and everything was done right but the system literally crippled the car's whole electrical health. The car was never the same. The third reason is I don't want my Fit to get broken into and everything stolen because some punk sees a sub box and amps sitting in the hatch area.

I took a safe route (for myself) and just upgraded the head unit and all the speakers. It has been well worth it for me. I think I was burned a long time ago and a few things still resonate with me...too many bad experiences.

Maybe you could just go with a 5-channel amp instead? But that would mean you have to get rid of your current RF 600.1bd. Just a thought...

Or get a 3-channel amp and run your fronts and the sub from it, then run your rears through your head unit.

Last edited by jcschlic; 07-08-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jcschlic
I am personally staying away from any amps being installed in my '09 Fit. This is for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I don't want to/can't give up hatch space. The second reason is that my first new car was a 2000 Ford Focus that I installed a "system" in and everything was done right but the system literally crippled the car's whole electrical health. The car was never the same. The third reason is I don't want my Fit to get broken into and everything stolen because some punk sees a sub box and amps sitting in the hatch area.

I took a safe route (for myself) and just upgraded the head unit and all the speakers. It has been well worth it for me. I think I was burned a long time ago and a few things still resonate with me...too many bad experiences.

Maybe you could just go with a 5-channel amp instead? But that would mean you have to get rid of your current RF 600.1bd. Just a thought...

Or get a 3-channel amp and run your fronts and the sub from it, then run your rears through your head unit.
Yeah, I think it might be time to find a different amp. I'm gonna start doing research on 5 channel-amps to save space and hopefully lower the electrical drain.

I am currently having a hard-ass time EQing my set-up, but I think it's because I have an aftermarket HU with and aftermarket amp and sub and stock speakers. I will be changing out the back speakers so I think a 4 channel amp is out. Plus, not too many 4 channel amps put out 300w+ even on a bridged channel.

I will also be adding an alarm soon, now that you mentioned it, and that will put some of my worries aside as far as punks seeing stuff in my car goes.

Thanks for the replies, and I will keep looking here to see if anyone else has any new info or insight.

Thanks guys,

Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
just had a system installed in the fit, amp under my seat and cap under the passenger, works well but i do hear and see distortion when im cruising to an idle, it will cut out occasionally depending how loud i have it, i like alot of bass and my windows are tinted enough to where you cant see in... maybe bigger battery is in my future, anyideas guys?

from my experience the electrical system will always put out enough power to make the car function, so you have to have a secondary cap or battery.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, couple things here I am not sure on the ECU actually limiting the Alternator other than maybe OVERPOWERING the electrical system. I would have to do more research before really seeing how this could or does effect anything. Second there is NO reason you shouldn't put a system in your Fit if you want one. There are right ways and wrong ways to do everything, especially when it comes to car audio. If you use the wrong gauge wiring for your power and grounds then yes you are going to have problems. That being said I will give you a list of what is in my Fit currently.

Alpine CDA-9835
JBL C608GTI 6.5 Components
(2) Soundstream 10's (ported enclosure)
JBL PX300.4 75wX4 Amplifier
JBL GTO1201.1 II 1200Watt Sub Amp

I still use the entire stock electrical system, battery/Alt and I have no light dimming at all during the night or day. I have had my 09 Fit for about 9months maybe a little less. Of course I did the install the right way with the right size wiring for each amplifier. Unless you are going out right to compete there is NO reason a stock electrical system cannot handle a modest 1000W system with the proper install and installation materials. Most companies design cars with enough electrical power (alternator) to output more usually 15% more in my findings than the car can use at maximum. This is also because between the different models of cars its easier to just put in the same electrical systems and then add the components later, such as Navigation etc.

So there is nothing keeping you from doing your audio system if you want to do it.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM
they do make a h/o alternator for ge8 that actually works, i have a 180 amp alternator

Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 PM